Top Box

loneranger

Hi guys. One of the members wanted me to post pics of the Yamaha top box installed on my MT07. Here you go. Let me know what you guys think.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

Faguima

Hi Loneranger…thank you by the photos, it was me the responsible for the request.

In my opinion this top box(Yamaha original?) doesn't look nice, it doesn't fit in the MT 07 image….to be honest will be hard to replace my previous X-MAX 250c luggage capacity, how i'm going to solve this problem :)

Thanks for the photos…

Rgds from Portugal

allyw71

Hi Loneranger…thank you by the photos, it was me the responsible for the request.

In my opinion this top box(Yamaha original?) doesn't look nice, it doesn't fit in the MT 07 image….to be honest will be hard to replace my previous X-MAX 250c luggage capacity, how i'm going to solve this problem :)

Thanks for the photos…

Rgds from Portugal
I had that quandary, this is my solution
20130602_193558.jpg

loneranger

Quality!!!!!! I had to have a box as I use for commuting in London and cant do without it. When I ride weekends etc I never use it and the bike looks ok without it on

TJ63

Givi do some luggage which mounts in place of the pillion seat. Let's hope they do a version for the MT. I reckon it would be worth a look.

Meanwhile I'm going to try the Oxford tail pack and see how that fits.

D

Deleted member 20

I agree, the Yamaha box and specially rack isn't that good lookin. The rack is bulky, too high and aft. I am expecting SW-Motech to release an ALU-RACK that actually looks minimalistic and nice, like the one they've done for Street Triple 12- in attached picture. Will then mount a Givi B37 Tech box on that rack (or possibly the B47 with white lid). Will also get a set of Givi E22's with white lid, no Givi PL rack for MT-07 yet, so I will buy any PL rack and weld proper fittings myself. Will also replace the stock handlebar with Renthal Ultra Low 22mm alu bars, the stock bar is too high and looks silly. Will also get the Puig 6861F dark smoke screen (also comes in black) for MT-09 and tweak fittings to suit the MT-07. And heated grips of course, 20w film under original rubbers. That's my wifes new Master-of-Touring-07 in a nutshell :)
Will probably replace stock BT-023's for Pilot Road 4's to get proper grip in wet.

loneranger

Hey there How did you get a givi on the Yamaha rack? You using a plate. I didn't bother as the Yamaha box fits straight on the rack

amavro

Yes I am using a plate but that didn't bother me because givi top case is smaller than yamaha at 34 liters and looks better in my opinion too .also it is cheaper (70 euros vs 130 for the yamaha topcase)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shadowmonkey

This was my top box experiment, as my misses won't ride on the back.

Remove and use frame holes for new longer bolts.

rubber on the top bolts so doesn't dig into frame and a spacer for the other bolts so they don't press onto fairing.

Choose a good spot to put bolts.

Finished plate.

shadowmonkey

Not many people like this method however I found it practical and had enough room even though it may not look so.

Anyone for touring?

sdrio

OK, I'm going to prattle on here, pretty much irrelevantly, like an old man.

In the 1980s, I was a despatch rider in London. I used to have a pretty irrational hatred of stuff attached to my bike (still do, in fact), but as we really needed them, I had a topbox bungy-strapped to the back of my saddle. It didn't increase the footprint of the bike in any way, but I still didn't like it much.

So, the company I worked for employed a new manager. He was enthusiastic, and went about getting everything shipshape with some gusto. One of his directives (along with reasonable stuff like insisting we all wear company bibs etc at all times) was that all bikes had to have a fixed rack and topbox.

Of course, my reaction was 'sod off'. I wasn't alone. Nobody who didn't already have one wanted to do it, not least of all because it meant spending 50 quid on a rack. The stakes were upped when he told us we had a week to get them done, or he would dock our pay.

So, next week, having had this latest directive ignored, we all had £10 snaffled from our wages on the Friday. A note informed us that the same would happen the next week too. We adjourned to the pub . . . an agreement was made.

On Monday morning, of the usual 40 or so riders who worked there (we were actually all self-employed), only 15 people turned up to work.

An hour later, all the £10 'fines' had been repaid out from the cash box, and the subject was never raised again. To be fair, he was still working there when I left some time later, so there's no 'he got fired for it' ending, but it was kind of satisfying.

OK, carry on chaps. This was all fields when I was a boy, you know . . .

shadowmonkey

pretty neat mate. Did the plate fix with just two main bolts?
Yep, used the two main bolts then just added another two with rubber on for support if it rocks at all. Used it this way to travel around Wales, only problem is cocking your leg over, you just have to use a different way.

Gaulois

I received my rear rack and the Shad 40L top case I ordered few days ago.
It was a PITA to install the rack. Yamaha engineering is terrible. I managed to cut the holes on each side of the bike, with some little scratches on the plastic. It would have been nice for Yamaha to include some pre-cut sides with the rack.
Some drilling is needed to attach the Shad plate. Again, lousy engineering from Yamaha. I don't know why Yamaha doesn't offer the Yamaha case to the US market. The Yamaha case doesn't require a plate to be mounted to the rack.

Last edited:

MT-0Devon

Hi guys. One of the members wanted me to post pics of the Yamaha top box installed on my MT07. Here you go. Let me know what you guys think.

Hi, I picked up a second hand yamy top box like yours without a lock, would you post some close up photos of the locking mechanism (back of the key lock) & what it locks too? I cannot for the life of me work this out!!

Thanks in advance

Ralph

Do you mean just the lock it's self is missing?
if so you just buy a lock barrel from Yamaha
not expensive, it comes as a kit and you build
the lock to fit your bike key so one key fits all
your locks, you need a way of measuring I used
a digital calliper to get it right first time.