Tyre pressures

Rouqui

Michelin Pilot Road. pressures way too high on delivery, I reduced them to 33 and 36 as in the manual but the front seems very rough on an uneven road, as though the tyre ought to be softer? (perhaps I'm spoilt coming from an XT600 armchair on two wheels)

Phil_B

My pressures were also way too high on delivery!

Not had an issue with 33 36. It felt much better when I adjusted the tyres. I prefer 34 37 as shown on my gauge. It might read a little inaccurate of course!

Generally I run them 1 up as it means if I go a while between checks then they won't be too far from spec. Also just feels a good balance of roll in and firmness.

Phil_B

Oh, yeah. The suspension can be a bit crashy over rough surfaces. Super plush it isn't!

Last edited:

Geoff

Tyre pressures in manual states 33/36 for all conditions. Even with pillion on board? This seems unusual but assume it`s not a "misprint"

Rouqui

I reckon 33/36 is a bit on the firm side.
manual says maximum load 173kg. I'm 83kg + 7kg with riding gear, leaving 83kg for luggage and pillion. say tankbag, panniers and topbox full may be 20+kg?, that is 60kg for 'er indoors. Another 7kg for her riding gear leaves 53kg for madame - no, we won't be touring on the MT07!

D

Deleted member 20

All new cars / motorcycles are delivered from factory with high pressure to avoid flat spots during transit and storage.

sdrio

I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend a lot of time on that pillion seat anyway. It's about the size of a beermat, and presumably less comfortable than the already torturous riders seat.

The MT07 is a decent enough short range tourer for one rider, but for two, I can't see it.

Phil_B

All new cars / motorcycles are delivered from factory with high pressure to avoid flat spots during transit and storage.
Interesting fact Anders, and that makes sense. However since Yamaha didn't deliver it direct to my door and the dealer had about a week to prepare it - you would think that on delivery to me (or in fact my collection) they should be spot on!

D

Deleted member 20

Interesting fact Anders, and that makes sense. However since Yamaha didn't deliver it direct to my door and the dealer had about a week to prepare it - you would think that on delivery to me (or in fact my collection) they should be spot on!
Agree, this is a failure at the dealers. They should/must prepare the bike incl. proper tire pressure before delivery to customer.

sdrio

Agree, this is a failure at the dealers. They should/must prepare the bike incl. proper tire pressure before delivery to customer.
Mine didn't even adjust the chain, it was rattling like a bag of bolts when I picked it up. Makes you wonder what else might have escaped their notice.

Guru Woodman

I presume a dealer has a pre-delivery checklist they use when prepping the bike. It would be nice to get my hands on such a list so you can actually see what they do before handing over they keys of your new machine.

L

Lonerider

I presume a dealer has a pre-delivery checklist they use when prepping the bike. It would be nice to get my hands on such a list so you can actually see what they do before handing over they keys of your new machine.
Only one dealer give me this checklist when i got a new bike (the last 2 Yamaha i bought). Of course, it's a Yamaha dealer.

D

Deleted member 20

I guess modern Sport Toring tires are built to operate best for road use at recommender tire pressure of 33/36 for the MT-07. I am sticking to it.
Comparing with other Yamahas at their load specifications and 33/36 doesn't sound that high.
View attachment 429

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Nin

My FZ-07 came with Bridgestone Battlax tires. 33/36 sounds about right to me even though I usually go a couple lbs. higher than recommended for better tire wear. I had these same Battlax tires on a 2011 GSX-r1000 used for road only and I got nearly 7600 miles from the rear tire. It was squared off, but could have gone another 500 miles. I replaced those tires with Michelin pilot power 3s which are a compound tire to help prevent squaring off and those are even better than Battlax, I think.

JudgeDredd

Mine came with Bridgestone Battlax and the pressures were high on delivery (36/40) so I reset them to the recommended pressures. When it came back from its 600 mile service the back tyre pressure was 40 again - do the dealers have a different book?!!

da1kini

Mine came with Bridgestone Battlax and the pressures were high on delivery (36/40) so I reset them to the recommended pressures. When it came back from its 600 mile service the back tyre pressure was 40 again - do the dealers have a different book?!!
No they have not. They are a just being lazy and rely on experience rather than education...

Ralph

At one time they used to give pressures for solo and rider only but the story goes a couple
of lard ass morons loaded up a bike on solo pressures and set sail with the result the rear tyre
overheated and exploded chucking our heros down the road, they the sued every one involved
and won due to the judge considering it was to much to expect a rider to understand that is
you overload a bike you need to put the tyre pressure up, so now they quote a pressure high
enough to withstand any abuse and thats why we now have pressure that are a bit on the high
side for solo riding, if there is any truth in this I don't know but it would not surprise me.

Ralph

Mines come with Bridgestone's and at 33/36 they feel a little hard,
the demo bike had Michelin's and felt better, will likely swap to Michelins
when the time comes.