Vinyl wrapped my MT07

sdrio

I'm getting a bit too into this now..!! haven't even got the bloody bike yet..!!
Do a bit of practice on your current bike. It's cheap and easy and reversible. You can get a4 sheets of vinyl on ebay/amazon for a couple of quid. Enough to wrap small parts / mirrors.

sdrio

I'm thinking to do a 'rat legal' version next. If you don't know what that means, you're too young . . . Matt black on every single surface you can manage. Nothing shiny allowed.

This is something people used to do in the 80s', but it was well before vinyl / plastidip was around, so (believe it or not) they would take a brand spanking new motorbike, several cans of matt black spray paint, and, well, paint the thing from top to bottom.

The more expensive the bike, and the messier the paintjob was, the more street cred it was.

we used vinyl wraps from 3M when racing. you could buy white or unpainted fairings on the cheap then wrap them in your colours which 3M did for you. cheaper than paying for everything to be painted. and as has been said any damage you just peel it all off and start again.
you sent the design in and they lazer cut it to fit the fairings. quite a few companies do it including Altamura | Custom Paint | Design | Airbrushing | Motorcycle Repair
altamura are expensive when it comes to paint schemes but i can say their work has always been first class including wrapping.

sdrio

Might as well update as this one has popped up . . .

Regarding long lasting effects, I took that wrapping off a couple of months ago. After removing the panels, It took 10 mins to get it all off, as I was being careful. It all came off easily, and left no sign whatsoever that it had ever been on there. No residue, nothing.

[edit] Mine's a red one. I believe the deep armour bike has a matt/satin finish, so it's possible wrapping could damage the paint on that.

Last edited:

da1kini

Might as well update as this one has popped up . . .

Regarding long lasting effects, I took that wrapping off a couple of months ago. After removing the panels, It took 10 mins to get it all off, as I was being careful. It all came off easily, and left no sign whatsoever that it had ever been on there. No residue, nothing.

[edit] Mine's a red one. I believe the deep armour bike has a matt/satin finish, so it's possible wrapping could damage the paint on that.
Nope, no matt or satin finish :) all bikes have the same outer layer Of clear "paint" (dont Know the Word for it)

sdrio

Nope, no matt or satin finish :) all bikes have the same outer layer Of clear "paint" (dont Know the Word for it)
Ah, OK. I seem to remember reading something about one of the finishes being a problem to polish. Must be confusing it with something else.

I've heard it called 'clear coat', so I think you're right. It's probably some kind of lacquer.

da1kini

Ah, OK. I seem to remember reading something about one of the finishes being a problem to polish. Must be confusing it with something else.

I've heard it called 'clear coat', so I think you're right. It's probably some kind of lacquer.
hmm maybe your right, but I have the deep armor one and it is covered with a clear coat and not hard to polish :)

roama119

Didn't think you had to notify DVLA of a vinyl wrap colour change as it's not permanent.
this is taken from a car wrap website faq's

The DVLA have recently changed their recommendations for vehicles that have been wrapped, which now have to be registered if the colour has been changed. Previously because the wrap was not considered a permanent change, it did not need to be registered. However, the following statement has been issued by the DVLA;-

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The Police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicles-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up to date.

DVLA records details given by vehicle manufacturers at first registration. Any changes to the vehicles details must be notified to DVLA by law.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA. You should receive a replacement certificate within two to four weeks.

We would advise that any owner of a vehicle that has had a full colour change wrap should now inform the DVLA immediately by completing and sending the necessary paperwork as specified.

seems fairly obvious to me that if your bike is recorded as white and you are riding it round in bright blue the plod wont be very happy?

sdrio

this is taken from a car wrap website faq's

The DVLA have recently changed their recommendations for vehicles that have been wrapped, which now have to be registered if the colour has been changed. Previously because the wrap was not considered a permanent change, it did not need to be registered. However, the following statement has been issued by the DVLA;-

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The Police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicles-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up to date.

DVLA records details given by vehicle manufacturers at first registration. Any changes to the vehicles details must be notified to DVLA by law.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA. You should receive a replacement certificate within two to four weeks.

We would advise that any owner of a vehicle that has had a full colour change wrap should now inform the DVLA immediately by completing and sending the necessary paperwork as specified.

seems fairly obvious to me that if your bike is recorded as white and you are riding it round in bright blue the plod wont be very happy?
Probably not.

I'd take a guess though and say they'd treat it like they treat tinted windows - if you can remove it there and then, they'll let you carry on. It wouldn't be that difficult to rip it off, and it's only a few quids worth of vinyl on a bike.

Whether you'd get a ticket for it, I don't know. Would seem harsh.

nobull

Probably not.

I'd take a guess though and say they'd treat it like they treat tinted windows - if you can remove it there and then, they'll let you carry on. It wouldn't be that difficult to rip it off, and it's only a few quids worth of vinyl on a bike.

Whether you'd get a ticket for it, I don't know. Would seem harsh.
I doubt they would even notice, and even if they did, most would only do you if they saw you being a knob but were lacking video / speed evidence etc, so wanted to get you on this minor technicality. I know we can sometimes be victimised, but for the most part the coppers who've pulled me over the years have been decent enough, if a little patronising!!

sdrio

May i ask where you got the decalstickers from?
Bought on Ebay, about £8 for a pair. If this link works, this is the seller: kjcreations-uk on eBay

Remember unless the decals are symmetric or have writing on them, to ask for a mirrored pair. You'll have them pointing in different directions on the left and right if you get two the same. The seller was happy to do that when I bought mine.