Was thinking about the MT07 being the 'new RD 350lc', and I had a better idea.

sdrio

I still can't quite reconcile this idea that the 07 is a 250/350lc for the 21st century. It's fast and light, and all that, but that's where it ends for me. Someone said it was because it's also cheap, but it's not lc cheap. In their heyday, the LC's were almost all owned by 17 - 25 year olds - the 250s were for a while learner legal.

The median age for the 07 seems to be well over 30. No teenager is ever going to be able to insure one either.

I've though of an alternative comparison, and I can't find too many holes in the argument. Well, apart from the number of wheels, but we can let that slip.

Drum roll . . . the Ford Mustang.

The Ford Mustang was developed to be an affordable sports car. It was faster than most comparable cars, but not supercar fast. It was launched as a pretty basic car, with few frills, for a killer price. Lots of extras could be specified, or bought afterwards.

They sold like hot cakes, and there were long waiting lists for them.

They did of course go on to be a classic. That remains to be seen.

Is this a reasonable comparison? I'm quite happy with the idea of driving a 2 wheeled Mustang.

cosmikdebriis

I think for those of us not used to American cars but of middle age... Peugeot 205GTi. Small, light, quick of the mark and fill your pants exciting to drive. Maybe not quite so "classy" as the Golf GTi but not so common as the XR3i

sdrio

I think for those of us not used to American cars but of middle age... Peugeot 205GTi. Small, light, quick of the mark and fill your pants exciting to drive. Maybe not quite so "classy" as the Golf GTi but not so common as the XR3i
Right, I can see that. Actually I think both the Pug and the Golf GTI fit the bill.

Nuggets

Whoa whoa whoa gents, being a citroen AX GT man myself (17.5 years old at the time), I'd like to throw that in the ring as a contender. Undoubtley the yam is better built so not even worth comparison on that score (even a baked bean tin had stronger welds than an AX) but for lightweight, fun, chuckability (is that a word?) through due to go kart handling, and license losing potential (I earned 5 points in one offence in the AX) I think the AX GT could be a contender for comparison, 85bhp from a 1.4litre and a lightweight chassis my GT was a little F reg rocket! It was also not very common, with most ending up in scrap yards early in their life due to a collapsable body (great for spares though)

Hopefully the yam won't regularly stall, rot, breakdown, need fifth gear scraping out the bottom of the box, or need the rotten wheel arches filling with 2 inches of fibre glass to pass an MOT screwdriver test! :) those were happy days.

allyw71

I think it is comparable to the LC350, you have to look at the wider picture. It is cheap just like the LC's were, when you consider that a Yamaha 125 is the best part of £4,000. A good point was made about insurance being to high for young riders, but insurance was calculated differently back then. It was based solely on the cc of the bike (remember the Norwich Union Rider policies). If it were calculated like it is today, the LC's would of been significantly dearer to insure.

cosmikdebriis

Regards Norwich Union rider policy... Did ANYBODY that rode a bike back in the day have any other insurance???

There aren't many bargains to be had in life but that was certainly one of the best. (apologies for our non UK members who won't have a clue what we're on about).

Dear Norwich Union. I want insurance on this Honda C90... Only twenty quid... Thank you... Now I can ride my Z650, or my mates Z1 or indeed any feckin bike I like on the same policy !

Remember when the police actually had to catch you (and there was not much hope of that) to have a hope in hell of doing you.

Or if you did get caught...

Officer... "Right... Where are your documents"
Naughty boy... "At home officer sir"
Officer... Okay so here's a seven day wonder (or whatever they were called) I want you to produce your insurance and mot and driving license at the local police station within the next seven days or you'll be in deep trouble my lad"
Naughty boy... Yes sir officer sir I promise I will do that and I'm really very sorry for under taking you at 1000mph.
Officer... I just want to make sure I have your details down correctly. You are Mr D Duck and live at Puddle Town Lane. Right?
Naughty boy... Yes sir that's me honest... I wouldn't tell a lie. I'll bring my documents in tomorrow.. Bye Bye and I promise not to speed ever again.

sdrio

Regards Norwich Union rider policy... Did ANYBODY that rode a bike back in the day have any other insurance???

There aren't many bargains to be had in life but that was certainly one of the best. (apologies for our non UK members who won't have a clue what we're on about).

Dear Norwich Union. I want insurance on this Honda C90... Only twenty quid... Thank you... Now I can ride my Z650, or my mates Z1 or indeed any feckin bike I like on the same policy !

Remember when the police actually had to catch you (and there was not much hope of that) to have a hope in hell of doing you.

Or if you did get caught...

Officer... "Right... Where are your documents"
Naughty boy... "At home officer sir"
Officer... Okay so here's a seven day wonder (or whatever they were called) I want you to produce your insurance and mot and driving license at the local police station within the next seven days or you'll be in deep trouble my lad"
Naughty boy... Yes sir officer sir I promise I will do that and I'm really very sorry for under taking you at 1000mph.
Officer... I just want to make sure I have your details down correctly. You are Mr D Duck and live at Puddle Town Lane. Right?
Naughty boy... Yes sir that's me honest... I wouldn't tell a lie. I'll bring my documents in tomorrow.. Bye Bye and I promise not to speed ever again.
Haha. Yes, Norwich Union boy here. First policy was in 1982, Fizzy, £49 TPFT. Only people that stuck their little finger out to drink tea got fully comp.

The form was called an HORT/1, the plod called it, a Horty. Also known as a producer.

Or so I've heard. As a former owner of a 250lc and a 350lc, I have obviously never had occasion to receive one. *cough*

DJP

Having owned a succession of LCs back in the day, I think that the comparison is valid. ie Cheap for the performance on offer.

Of course, back then there was no stepped licensing, insurance was calculated on cc, etc etc.

But it's as close a comparison as you're gonna get.

jmkk

I would compare the 07 with a Toyota GT86. Japanese, affordable and all the other reasons mentioned above ;)
Also Yamaha developed engines for Toyota (the legendary 2000GT and AE86 i.e.)

sdrio

I would compare the 07 with a Toyota GT86. Japanese, affordable and all the other reasons mentioned above ;)
Also Yamaha developed engines for Toyota (the legendary 2000GT and AE86 i.e.)
Only argument I'd have with that is that the Toyota comes pretty much fully loaded.

The MT07 is clearly built to a budget, but it launched with a whole catalogue of options ready to go that probably an 'expensive' bike would have as standard - proper exhaust, comfort seat, radiator covers etc.

That's a big part of where I got the Mustang idea from. They could be bought as very basic cheap models, but specced to high heaven with parts from the manufacturer.

DeadHead

What about the Renault 5 GT Turbo, I know I had one, insanely light, very quick and easy to make much quicker. I loved mine

sdrio

What about the Renault 5 GT Turbo, I know I had one, insanely light, very quick and easy to make much quicker. I loved mine
Never drove one of those, but it's definitely a contender. I had an XR2. Looking back, it wasn't actually very fast, but when I was 19 it sure seemed like it.