What is this? Please help

689twin

I clean it everytime after ride but it always comes back and I need to clean it again. [emoji29] I just need to know is it anything bad or is it just some dirt?
Anyone else got this? its so annoying.

Phil_B

I assume it's water and soot. Unfortunately it doesn't stop after break in, mine still does it after 2500 miles.

I figure it's normal, if a little annoying.

Viking

Mine stoped after 1500 km. I asked my mechanic at first service about it and he told me that it will stop after a brake in...

Koray

Im also following Turkish MT forums, that thing happens to lots of people. But still dont know what is it?
Some says its fuel some says its oil.

Nuggets

You can try using alloy wheel cleaner to remove this on a regular basis, it's baked on soot deposits from the exhaust, I get this on my car exhaust all the time, alloy wheel cleaner usually gets rid of the worst of it

balki

This. I don't know what it is called in english but it basically is just shit that the engine spits out. Nothing to worry about.
lol that is the perfect english description :)
gentle riding wont throw it far enough so it doesn't appear, over 5-6k then it starts to appear (its the little gremlins that make the happy noise :))

Rouqui

that's funny, mine is clean, done about 800km and never seen this, probably not riding hard enough! I might give the area a coat of wax before it starts to happen

Last edited:

Ralph

If you are sitting around letting it warm up that may make it worse as the bike will warm up slower
and there wont be the air or exhaust gas flow to blow it clear on the bike.

sdrio

It is dirty water.

There's a certain amount of vapour in the exhaust gases, which condenses into water inside the exhaust pipe as it comes out. It obviously gets dirty on the way, there are other contaminants in the gases - carbon, unburnt fuel etc.

As it exits the pipe, there is quite a vortex going on, it sprays it out much the same as you'd get when you're drinking beer, and someone tells a particularly fruity one about an actress and a bishop. So it splashes onto the metalwork.

It's harmless stuff, and it shouldn't stain the thing if you wipe it off reasonably quickly.

Nothing at all to worry about, but if it's just annoying you, unfortunately you can't do much about it. It's more likely to happen the colder the ambient temperature is around the bike, but they all do it to some extent.