What was you previous ride

tw586

I have notice that a lot of you guys and gals rode sv650's before moving to the MT07.
I came off a cruiser, but it was still a Vtwin. Do you think the Mt will become the SV of our time. there is no denying the SV was a good bike and still is popular today even though is getting a little dated. I am interested to see what you all used to ride and why, as I did, chose the MT over its competition. Me Im a fan of the Vtwin and with 270 crank the Mt carries a lot of its characteristics in a more efficient and compact package, but that my thoughts, What yours

dazzor

We already have a 4 page thread on this...

Is the search not working?

http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/the-bar/75-riding-history.html
True but a bit curt perhaps?

To the OP;

Been riding 26 years, had all sorts but basically got bored of IL4's. Still love a good triple but twins tick so many boxes for me in the "real world" every day biking / commuting that I do.

Last bike was a stop-gap 2009 XJ6 after a cab driver demolished a rather nice Street Triple-R. The Striple was great but way too focused to be an efficient commuter for my 36 mile-a-day round trip in & out of London.

The 07 has plenty of grunt where it matters most. Sure it feels a bit breathless up top compared to a well sorted mid-sized IL4.

Rarely do I yearn for the frenetic, surging power I had with litre sports bikes.....a maturing sense of my own mortality and becoming a Dad being the most likely culprits for curtailing that lust I suspect.

Enjoy the MT07, in my humble opinion it's many things to many riders and quite possibly a classic in the making.

DJP

True but a bit curt perhaps?

To the OP;

Been riding 26 years, had all sorts but basically got bored of IL4's. Still love a good triple but twins tick so many boxes for me in the "real world" every day biking / commuting that I do.

Last bike was a stop-gap 2009 XJ6 after a cab driver demolished a rather nice Street Triple-R. The Striple was great but way too focused to be an efficient commuter for my 36 mile-a-day round trip in & out of London.

The 07 has plenty of grunt where it matters most. Sure it feels a bit breathless up top compared to a well sorted mid-sized IL4.

Rarely do I yearn for the frenetic, surging power I had with litre sports bikes.....a maturing sense of my own mortality and becoming a Dad being the most likely culprits for curtailing that lust I suspect.

Enjoy the MT07, in my humble opinion it's many things to many riders and quite possibly a classic in the making.
Pretty much the exact same story here.

I do sometimes miss big bore power, but 90% of the time the MT's just as good... and then I get to the pumps and put in half as much fuel...:D

dazzor

Pretty much the exact same story here.

I do sometimes miss big bore power, but 90% of the time the MT's just as good... and then I get to the pumps and put in half as much fuel...:D
Yes! The reduced juice bill. :)

To me, the low end, sub 50mph torque feels like a litre IL4 anyway.

The 07 does quite like to be ragged compared to most other twins I've had, it's almost like a halfway house between a twin and a triple in that respect I think

It's slim, light-ish, agile and pokey enough to be entertaining on our UK roads.

To each their own, but I say keep your sports bikes for serious communing. Utter waste of time in London, unless traffic light revving and posing are your thing.

xt660isgood2

In a nutshell: The 07 is light and low and relatively quick. Which appeals to midgets/wimps like me. Which none of the other makers have addressed "I don't think?"
Last bike was a 1050 tiger and loved it "but" it really was to heavy for me and a mare in traffic due to my size/weight

DJP

...To each their own, but I say keep your sports bikes for serious communing. Utter waste of time in London, unless traffic light revving and posing are your thing.
The thing for me (at least these days) is that big bikes are wasted in London and a risk of my license out of it.

The MT07 (like the Honda NC750X) is about relevance: It's relevant to what most people do, most of the time.

It's very relevant to what I do almost all the time.

Except it ain't boring like the Honda... :D

dazzor

The thing for me (at least these days) is that big bikes are wasted in London and a risk of my license out of it.

The MT07 (like the Honda NC750X) is about relevance: It's relevant to what most people do, most of the time.

It's very relevant to what I do almost all the time.

Except it ain't boring like the Honda... :D
Couldn't agree more.

The Honda however is a country mile behind the MT. It's heavier and furnished with a duller engine too. (Half a Jazz....enough said)

For me, I'd ideally have 3 bikes in the garage.

The MT07 for everyday duties. I'd replace my ageing back-up commuter (Honda NTV650) with a decent, cheap big single, quite like (being sensible) the idea of the BMW F650cs Scarver. And finally a track-only bike like a Gixxer750 or maybe a Big Bang R1.

There, I'm not greedy :)

dazzor

In a nutshell: The 07 is light and low and relatively quick. Which appeals to midgets/wimps like me. Which none of the other makers have addressed "I don't think?"
Last bike was a 1050 tiger and loved it "but" it really was to heavy for me and a mare in traffic due to my size/weight
Ditto.

I'm only 5'7 and I test rode the 1050 tiger; took it back after 10 minutes.

Had a 2 year affair with a KTM SuperDuke. Loved it but height issues meant I was never totally at one with the bike all the time.

The 07 fits like glove. I'd like s bit more top-end poke...not top speed, just top-end rev grunt.....I still lust after a Street Triple but made promise to calm down after my last spill.

I can see me getting another STR in a year or two....light, fast but thirsty :(

DJP

Couldn't agree more.

The Honda however is a country mile behind the MT. It's heavier and furnished with a duller engine too. (Half a Jazz....enough said)

For me, I'd ideally have 3 bikes in the garage.

The MT07 for everyday duties. I'd replace my ageing back-up commuter (Honda NTV650) with a decent, cheap big single, quite like (being sensible) the idea of the BMW F650cs Scarver. And finally a track-only bike like a Gixxer750 or maybe a Big Bang R1.

There, I'm not greedy :)
Are you sure you're not me?

Except the single would've been a KTM, er wotsit... 690 Thing?

I test rode one before buying the MT... Jesus! I very nearly bought one - just a tad too committed for everyday use.

But hell...

DeadHead

I Still have my IL4 litre bike and really the MT was just to replace my er6 commuting bike, but i've had so much fun riding the MT while the big bike has been tucked away for the winter months I'm clocking up loads of miles outside commuting!

dazzor

Are you sure you're not me?

Except the single would've been a KTM, er wotsit... 690 Thing?

I test rode one before buying the MT... Jesus! I very nearly bought one - just a tad too committed for everyday use.

But hell...
We could be one of the same? Have we ever been spotted in the same place at the same time? :)

Always fancied the 690....the tall seat height put me off though.

Just would like a sensible, not silly money back-up commuter with a single lump. The F650cs ticks many boxes...that belt drive appeals for starters.

Phil_B

Having recently picked up a street triple, it's made me realise by comparison that the MT is probably one of the best fun commuting bikes available today.

It's not as exciting as the street but it's effortlessly straight forward to ride. The only things I think you can question is how will it stand up to a few winters, and would it benefit from a bit more noise to warn people you're coming?

I'm hoping the street will fulfil the category of ideal "going for a great ride" bike. Early signs are good! :)

dazzor

Having recently picked up a street triple, it's made me realise by comparison that the MT is probably one of the best fun commuting bikes available today.

It's not as exciting as the street but it's effortlessly straight forward to ride. The only things I think you can question is how will it stand up to a few winters, and would it benefit from a bit more noise to warn people you're coming?

I'm hoping the street will fulfil the category of ideal "going for a great ride" bike. Early signs are good! :)
Congrats on the Striple Phil, I'm sure you'll be very happy.

I'm running my MT with a SC-project system and DNA Air filter....noise issue sorted :)

If I didn't have two small kids and new home to blast money on I'd have the MT and either Street or perhaps a Speed Triple in the Garage.

Enjoy and ride safe

Darren

Phil_B

Cheers Dazzor. I'm enjoying the luxury of two bikes for the time being, but may have to part with one further down the line.

Yaminator

I traded my Suzuki GSR 750 to get my MT07 after a very long think.....
The reason was is because as the same with other guys i was getting bored of IL4's
ive had a few bike including Fireblades, Hornet's, ZXR's,
But the MT is all the bike i need. Its not very fast but its quick responsive & light
this is a new bike with something alot of bikes don't have nowadays and that's SOUL..

So please remember
You have more fun driving a slow bike fast than driving a fast bike slow.. Especially in the UK

Torque

I traded my Suzuki GSR 750 to get my MT07 after a very long think.....
The reason was is because as the same with other guys i was getting bored of IL4's
ive had a few bike including Fireblades, Hornet's, ZXR's,
But the MT is all the bike i need. Its not very fast but its quick responsive & light
this is a new bike with something alot of bikes don't have nowadays and that's SOUL..

So please remember
You have more fun driving a slow bike fast than driving a fast bike slow.. Especially in the UK
Couldn't have said it better - I agree with all your points (I'm coming from a CBR600):

The MT-07 is a more interesting ride than a sports bike in most UK scenarios: it has higher torque at low revs and it's light and compact.
The sound of a twin (more like a V-twin).
More soul +1.
More scope for aftermarket customisation than most sports bikes = each MT-07 has the possibility of being unique = more soul (again!).

Personally I'm loving it even though I'm still running in the engine...

fatwomble

My previous bike was a CB500X, first bike after a 14 year break. I thought I would get myself back into bikes gently, but the CB proved to be a bit too gutless. Loving the MT.