YamaLube

1a2a3a

Hi guys, im due for my first 1000km or 600 miles servicing.

I was hoping to get some advice if I should be using yamalube for the engine oil.

It feels weird over here with our dealer. Warranty for 6 months excluding wear and tear.
But if you went back regularly for servicing, they will extend your warranty to 1 year.

The only oil they offer is YamaLube. Also, should you decided to use aftermarket air filter, warranty will be void.

Also, first 2 servicing are free of labor, part borne by owner.

Im skeptical about the dealer T & C. So I was thinking if I should just go to any other workshop and service my bike.
Only worries is that, should there be any diagnostic requires, im not sure if other workshop have the technical ability to resolve it or only the Yamaha dealer have the stupid machine to plug it in for diagnostic check?

spencer

I have always used Silkolene Super 4 10w40 Semi Synthetic Oil with a k&n oil filter, on all my bikes and never had any problem. its really down to what oil you prefer.

sdrio

Is that really true, or is the dealer just being a dick?

Most countries have consumer laws that can override anything the dealer / manufacturer unilaterally decides.

I don't know how it is in Singapore, but in the UK it doesn't actually matter how long the manufacturers guarantee is, the sale of goods act covers defects and if a defect that is not covered by a warranty would still fall under the requirements of the act, the dealer would be obliged to fix it.

Six months would be laughed out of court. So would 'voiding' the warranty for using a non standard part, unless that part actually caused the defect - in reality they could void their own warranty, but not the consumer protection law which would give you the same protection.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to use quality parts, rather than the cheapos, but I'd still check your dealer isn't bullshitting you before you allow him to push you to pay inflated bills for servicing.

1a2a3a

Okay this is how my warranty card looks like...

Whats your take on it ?

Also.... can someone tell me what this engine oil graph thingy is trying to tell me in the service manual?

0 10 30 50 70 90 110 130 °F
<----------------->
SAE 10W-30
<---------------------------->
SAE 10W-40
<-------------------------------->
SAE 10W-50
<---------------------->
SAE 15W-40
<--------------->
SAE 20W-40
<------------------->
SAE 20W-50

–20 –10 0 10 20 30 40 50 °C

dfl05

My take on your warranty is what you first said. Basically HLCH will only honour the warranty if you use them for servicing. I lived in SG for 5 years until recently and have been a victim of the lack of consumer protection for most items bought there.

The chart for the oil is showing you the range of temperatures that the oil can safely operate in.
For instance 10W-40 is for range of -20 to +45 which probably suits SG the best.
15W -40 ranges from -20 to just over 30 which means not totally suitable for SG as you can get up to 36 or so there on occasion.

D

Deleted member 20

In what ambient temps do You intend to use Your motorcycle?
How cold, -30C° or -15°C or 0°C or +10°C?
How hot, 30°C or 40°C or 50°C?

Generally, oils with a narrow temp range are better than oils that have to work in a wider temp range.
5W60 is an example of a very wide temp range.
10W30 and 20W40 are very narrow temp ranges.
What do You need?

1a2a3a

@dfl05 - Yes you are right, there is very little protection for consumer when it comes to automobile. So now back to the original question, would I be better off doing my services outside of HLCH? I get that warranty will eventually runs out and parts needs to be replace etc etc. I do have other reputable shop that I can go to, the only worry I'm afraid is, when it comes to diagnostic servicing or valve clearance, I'm not sure if other shop can equal the skill of HLCH.
Put it in simple context, i'll use ducati as reference. Pretty much ducati owner goes back to dealer for servicing as it is a rather 'specialized'(not sure if this is the word to use) skillset needed, which in all honesty, most shop would have a issue doing it. From what I see, Yammy is a Japanese bike and its should be pretty simple and basic to begin with? So I'm not exactly sure if I should go back to dealer or .... ?

@Anderers- oh right of course its ambient temps. My initial thoughts was Bike Temperature LOL. Pretty sure my bike temp is like 80-100 degree C, and hence the chart cuts off at 50C which rather confused me.
Cold - I believe we never go below 24 over here.
Hot - 36+ ?
So I should be using 10w40 / 15w 40 / 20w40?
what does the number represent?

Ralph

Interesting how they change things in differing country's, In the UK our
service intervals are longer we don't have to use Yamalube and get a
2 year unlimited miles warranty, but we likely pay a bit more for the bike
mine was £5250 about $7970 though I prayed less than that.

D

Deleted member 20

With your ambient temps you can for example use 15W50 (from 0 to +45°C) or 20W50 (from +10 to +45°C).

First two numbes before the W is the low temp: 10 = -10°C, 15 = 0°C and 20 = +10°C.
Last two numbers after the W is the high temp: 30 = +20°C, 40 = 40°C, 50 = 45°C, 60 = 50°C.

More or less, there is no exact translation table, it differs between motorcycle brands.

1a2a3a

@Ralph - I paid..... SGD$22,000. That's right, 3 zero there for the bike. (Or 13767.08 Euro Or 10152.54 Pound Or 15411.56 USD)

@Anderers - So technically, its just a numerical figures demonstrating the ambient temperature that is it viable for right? Apart from that, I believe there is nothing much significant to it yea?
Logically speaking, 20w50 would be more expensive than a 15w50 because the range is greater?