Your riding history

Phil_B

I thought I'd start a thread for members to share their biking history; riding experience, previous bikes, any accidents or tales, etc.

I'm a relatively new rider having passed my test in October last year. So mine shouldn't take long!

I learned on one of those DAS courses in June 2013 and had a great time, but buggered up the MOD1 so had to retake. I've been driving since I was 17 in 2002 though and do quite a lot of miles, so was happy enough on the road.

Big bike experience was limited to those BMW F700s they had (nice bikes but not cheap), and this winter I nearly bought an SV650, ER6F, Hornet, XJ6 and V-Strom. (Call me indecisive!)

Before that I had a YBR125 for 18 months to get used to bikes etc. Sometimes you could get into it and it was great. But barely keeping up with traffic was rubbish! So I saved that for quiet weekends. The MT is already getting much more use.

L

Lonerider

Well, let's see.

I started on a my uncle's Yamaha MX80. Than my father bought me a Yamaha YZ80. Loved it. I used to ride on hard pack snowmobiles trails. My first street bike was a Yamaha Seca 750. The air cooled motor didn't like trail riding. A couple years later, i regularly went on forest roads with my Yamaha Seca II. The look of the pick-up drivers was priceless. The same bike was used for track days. Not quite a proper bike for this. The suspension was way too soft. I replaced the Seca with a SV650S. Superb bike. Track days, long trips, i loved it except for the too low clip-on. I did quit my share of road trips. The call of the wild came back stronger. So the V-Strom was my next purchase. It did several things well. But trail riding was not. I tooked about 30 minutes to get out of mud hole. Weight is everything, not horsepower for this environment. Road trips is not anymore on my menu since a few years. So , ...

It's like i'm in a redo mode. For the nostalgy of my first bike (YZ80), i bought a WR250X. And now, the FZ-07 will be like a reminder of my first street bike, Seca 750. A couple years ago, i swear to myself to nevet own a bike without a fairing. Over the years, i guess i appreciate the lack of turbulences and noises générated by some fairings. My test ride of the FZ-09, convince me to make a return to naked bikes. The specs and the price of the FZ-07 were irresistible. I truly don't know if i'll use the FZ-07 for long trips. I kept a Givi topcase and a tailbag from previous bikes. Time will tell.

badger27

i started back in 1989 on a DT50 covered a lot of miles yes it sounded like an angry bee in a can but its was fun even when it rained and it shorted through the chassis lol. then on the way back from work i was knocked off by a car turning right from a side junction and i stopped riding for almost 20 years. then 1 day i decided to but a scooter to get to work . and got the bug . i went for the DAS training first big bike was a 600 hornet which was very quick for learning on and scared me on more than one occasion luckily it was replaced by an SV650 which i loved and came close to buying.then i read about the MT07 and managed to talk the dealer into letting test drive in the car park .i was hooked ordered it that day

allyw71

1988 my first bike was a Suzuki GP100 which I had for a year, it was pretty slow so I bought a RD125LC which had some tuning work done on it, it was good for 95mph easy. I sat and passed my test on that bike (no DAS in those days) and had it for about 18 months. I then changed it for a RD250LC which I kept for 3-3 1/2 years. During the early 90's the market was flooded with grey imports and I took advantage of the cheap prices and bought a Honda VFR400R, I had that for 2 years. Due to lack of cash I had a couple of years away from biking, but returned with a FZR1000 EXUP, that was followed by a very under-rated Aprilia RST1000 Futura which was a fantastic bike. I then changed that for a Triumph Sprint ST 1050, after a couple of years bought Honda XL1000v Varadero which I ran alongside the Sprint. In 2009 I changed the Sprint for a Triumph Tiger 1050 which I still have today, last year I sold the Varadero. If I were asked which bike I liked best It would be the Tiger, followed by the Aprilia.

P

Peter

OK, lets see some unique bikes:

30 years ago, when I was teenager:
- Riga and Verhovina mopeds from the Sovjet Union. Terrible quality, totally unreliable.
Riga (moped) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Jawa moped from Czechoslovakia. A bit better, but just a little bit. 50 ccm, 2 stroke.
- Simson S51N from East-Germany. It was the ultimate quality for us. It was my first bike which driven more than fix.
- MZ ETZ 250 from East-Germany. The biggest bike you could get. The owner of ETZ was the coolest guy in the world!

After 25 years gap:

- Honda CBF600N 2004
- Honda CBF600SA 2007
- BMW F800S 2007
- Yamaha MT-07, coming soon...

allyw71

OK, lets see some unique bikes:

30 years ago, when I was teenager:
- Riga and Verhovina mopeds from the Sovjet Union. Terrible quality, totally unreliable.
Riga (moped) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Jawa moped from Czechoslovakia. A bit better, but just a little bit. 50 ccm, 2 stroke.
- Simson S51N from East-Germany. It was the ultimate quality for us. It was my first bike which driven more than fix.
- MZ ETZ 250 from East-Germany. The biggest bike you could get. The owner of ETZ was the coolest guy in the world!

After 25 years gap:

- Honda CBF600N 2004
- Honda CBF600SA 2007
- BMW F800S 2007
- Yamaha MT-07, coming soon...
The fact the a Simson is quality and the MZ250ETZ is cool makes me cry, I feel your pain :)

RedOne

Started riding in 1970.
First bike a Panther 250 2 stroke with clip ons that hit the fuel tank. 16th birthday L plates and ride. Then get ready for school.
Next a Kawasaki 175 Bushwacker 2 stroke. Not a UK official import. Bought it off a guy who bought it with him when he moved from Australia to the UK. Usually this bike had a 4 speed gear box up changes were all upwards. Owned it alongside the Panther which can be confusing with the gear lever on opposite sides. Stabbed the Kawasaki down a gear once trying to stop quickly. Also the Kawasaki had a twin rear sprocket. You added extra links to the chain and wound in some bolts to pull the other sprocket into use. It then did about 40 mph flat out for trail riding.
Next a Honda CB 100. Failed test on this.
Next a Honda RS 250. Passed my test on this one. Old fashioned test where the examiner spied on you on a test route.
Next a Honda VT 250. The red and black one.
Next a Yamaha XZ 550. Sort of light tourer because it had shaft drive. Had a hard hit with this one into a Ford Cortina. Front wheel went back into the radiator. Write off, the bike not me!
Next a Honda CB 550. Another not my fault accident. A car pulled out and hit my front wheel on the side! Unbelievable! If the seat scuff hadn't polished out this would have been another write off. This happened before it's 600 mile first service.
Next after a short break. Confidence shot? Yamaha Virago 550.
Next the mid life crisis!! Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom. Had that a while.
Next a Yamaha MT 03. Terrible bike for randomly stalling. Doing a slow turn once and it stalled and tossed me off. Bike unharmed me a broken toe! You don't need that in your fifties. That bike could even stall when you changed into second. Never experienced anything like it before.
Next a Yamaha XJ6 ABS
Finally April 4th 2014 an MT 07 in Red with ABS.
And that's my life in Motorcycling.

Petemlaw

Came to biking late!
Passed cut in 2009 and ran a little hyosung 125 cruiser looky likey!
Passed mod1 2010 and waited till nearly out of time 2011 to come back to mod2 without riding a bike for a year!!!
Passed first time and stayed on hyosung
Had a minor lunatic episode and went out and bought a sprint st 1050 for my 40th
Loved it but too top heavy, a bugger at slow speeds and definitely not a first bike
We live on a hill in Arnold Nottingham and have let the beast nearly topple just getting out the garage!,
Took a mt07 out this morning whilst waiting for sprint mot from CMC nottingham...
What a grin puller..... Cash handed over ..deal done,..joined here now gotta wait till July !!!
What a morning!

Will145

I had a moped at 16 back in 2003 then got my car test done at 17. I didn't really have the finances to get my bike test done so only got round to doing it in 2011 and then picked up a SV650S as my first bike.

Soll2405

Started with a Tomos moped in 1988 when I was 16 but the mickey taking at school was terrible so after 3 months moved onto
Honda MBX 50 in black thought it was the dogs.... then
Yamaha RXS 100 in red
Honda CB125 Superdream in red then a 15 year gap to.
Hartford HD125 in red and CBT and DAS passed in 2004
KTM 400 EXC for greenlaning quite a handful though
Yamaha Fazer 600 in gold rode great just looked a little dated, sold to buy...
BMW R1150 GS in silver, caught the Long Way Round bug bike was great though sold to buy a car sadly.
Yamaha FZ6 in Red sold to pay for a holiday bummer.
Kawasaki Z750 in gold short term bike to stop me from moping around that i didnt have a bike.
Yamaha FZ6 in black sold because of redundancy
Yamaha XT660X in red (took in PX when i sold the bike above) but then sold to buy ...
Yamaha FZS1000 in Silver then again another bike sold to pay for something this time house deposit.
Suzuki DRZ 400 for greenlaning (still have this)
Yamaha MT07 in Race blu which after all these bikes I am having the most fun in years, its so easy to get on with! And its on finance so i cant sell it to buy something else Result!!!

Rouqui

Bikeography 1974-2014
----------------------------------------------
Gilera 175 Rossa Extra
Honda CB125S

Norton 650 SS
BSA B25 SS
Laverda 750 SF
BSA B50 SS
Norton Commando 850 Mk 1A

Honda CD175
BSA 125 Bantam D7
Moto Guzzi V50 500cc (new)
Hesketh V1000 (new)
Triumph Trident 750 T150V
Honda CB250 RS

Moto Morini 500
BSA B44 Victor Special Cheney
Triumph Trident 900 (new)
Moto Guzzi 1000 S
Gilera Nordwest 600 (new)

Moto Guzzi 850
Matchless G50 (new)
Triumph Trident 750 (new)
Yamaha XTE 600
Yamaha MT-07 red abs

sdrio

Fizzie at 16, in 1982.

Bought a Yamaha RD250lc before I passed my test, it was just after the 125 law came in, and I got it for about £200, which was a steal. Passed my test in August 1984.

Spent 4 years despatch riding in London, I reckon I probably racked up a good 100,000 miles in that time. Went though 4 - 5 bikes, including a couple of Honda CX500s, which were excellent machines.

Next 5 years, Kawasaki z750, Gpz 750, then in 1992 bought a Fireblade. Realised I was going to kill myself, so sold it and bought a car.

2001, was living in Brazil, wanted a bike and bought a 1998 XT 600. Great bike, Replaced it with an XT660 in 2004.

Back to the UK in 2008, drive a car for a year then bought an MT03 (the naked street version of the XT, same 660 single engine).

That got nicked last year, spent 6 months on a vile Aprilia 125 scooter (commuting into London).

Bought a new MT07, got it last week.

D

Deleted member 20

Yamaha RD 125 -73, in 81-82
KTM 125 Enduro -80, in 82-83
Yamaha XS 500 -76, in 83-84
Honda CBX 550 F2 -82, in 84-85
KTM 640 LC4 Enduro -00, in 00-04
Yamaha FZS 600 -98, in 07-12
Yamaha TDM 900 ABS -07, in 12-today
Yamaha XJ6-N ABS -11, in 12-14
Yamaha MT-09 ABS -14, in Feb-Mar 14
Yamaha MT-07 ABS -14, in Apr 14-today

One major accident in 1984, lost one kidney.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

Yamaha RD 125 -73, in 81-82
KTM 125 Enduro -80, in 82-83
Yamaha XS 500 -76, in 83-84
Honda CBX 550 F2 -82, in 84-85
KTM 640 LC4 Enduro -00, in 00-04
Yamaha FZS 600 -98, in 07-12
Yamaha TDM 900 ABS -07, in 12-today
Yamaha XJ6-N ABS -11, in 12-14
Yamaha MT-09 ABS -14, in Feb-Mar 14
Yamaha MT-07 ABS -14, in Apr 14-today

One major accident in 1984, lost one kidney.
Why only a month on the MT09?

D

Deleted member 20

Why only a month on the MT09?
Did a booking of order payment on a MT-07 in January. One month later the dealer went bust and I was about to loose my £11K. I speeded down to the dealer the same day and got my hand on the last bike in store, a new MT-09. Then sold the MT-09 for £1K less than I paid and booked a new MT-07 order with another dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:

sputnick

2006 BMW F800S ABS 2008 - 2010
2001 Ducati Sport 750 April 2011 - June 2011 (Stolen :mad:)
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS April 2014 -

Jon

1976 - 1978 FS1eDX
2014 Mt-07!

said I was a newbie! But I loved my fizzer. My gran died and left me £300....I went straight to Stan Jones in Shrewsbury and bought a new one. Kenny Roberts speedblock yellow, first with a front disk, last year before they were restricted. Had a real ball. Even diid some long(iish) rides. I used to live in Wolverhampton and once rode to Porthmadoc for a party! (Theres a story for over a brew sometime) 50ccs of raw power! Wish I still had it.

Always wanted a bike but missus very anti (she lost a good friend to a crash just before we got together) kids now grown up, finally got my own way. Did my DAS slowly on a CBF600. Still have my car so am lucky enough to only ride in the dry for pleasure.

so taking it easy, learning to enjoy corners but know I'm slow. The other day was riding between Leek and Buxton and was briefly followed by a guy on a CBR600F. He wasnt trying but left me standing...so I've got a lot of learning to do. Once I am much more confident - say next year, may do a track-based course (on a school bike) to learn properly. But went straight to a MT-07 because I knew I would get bored with a 125 instantly and a honda 500 pretty quickly. Saw that even experienced riders enjoyed the -07, loved it on a test ride so went for it.

bit of a billy-no-mates at the moment as all my regular mates aren't bikers. But being so new am enjoying getting better without any peer-pressure!

Kaff

1986 Honda XBR500 2010 - 2014
2014 Yamaha MT-07 (still waiting to get mine) 2014 -

As I said in my member introduction, fairly new to bikes, came from the car scene. I've never been much of a speed freak (tho I had my share of speed in my car days), but wanted a reliable, fun bike for light touring and city commuting. The top speed limit in Finland is 120 kph and I tend to keep my speeds close to legal, so the MT-07 has plenty power for me.