A2 Restrictions

Draik

The less-exciting side of bike modding.

Has anyone got any direct experience of riding the MT-07 with the A2 limiter installed? Obviously not by choice, I'm gonna be stuck with the limiter if I do go with the 07, and there's a shortage of reviews that actually talk about what it's like to ride with the reduced power. Does it fuck up the bottom end or do you end up with the same bike with a lower top speed?

Also, Yamaha make it very public that they'll limit the thing for free, but I haven't seen anything about removing the restriction once you move up to a full licence - how much does that end up costing?

Sorry if these questions have been asked a thousand times - the search tool just ignores the term "A2" because it's too short.

Taekno

The less-exciting side of bike modding.

Has anyone got any direct experience of riding the MT-07 with the A2 limiter installed? Obviously not by choice, I'm gonna be stuck with the limiter if I do go with the 07, and there's a shortage of reviews that actually talk about what it's like to ride with the reduced power. Does it fuck up the bottom end or do you end up with the same bike with a lower top speed?

Also, Yamaha make it very public that they'll limit the thing for free, but I haven't seen anything about removing the restriction once you move up to a full licence - how much does that end up costing?

Sorry if these questions have been asked a thousand times - the search tool just ignores the term "A2" because it's too short.
I have a A2 restricted MT-07, which is mechanically restricted. I am "stuck" with it for one more year. From what I've heard, there are two methods Yamaha uses to restrict the bike. Mechanical, which I have, and electronical. The electronical restriction has a pretty noticeable impact on the performance I heard. But having the mechanical restriction I must say there's little difference to a derestricted one. The same low and mid-range torque is still available as the mechanical restriction only restricts the high rpms. This means you have almost equal acceleration to the derestricted one. I think about 4.5-5.0 seconds 0-100 km/h restricted and roughly a second less derestricted. You start to feel the restriction when you are trying to pull from 120-140 km/h upwards, overtaking a car for example. It still goes, but the high rev torque is not there immediately. It just takes a little longer. Thus getting the bike to the max speed of 210 km/h is difficult. I have managed to get 180 km/h fairly effortlessly, though I haven't really tried to push it any further. I bet you could eventually get to 200 km/h+ if you have the space and a safe spot to do it. The best thing about MT-07 is that it does power wheelies even restricted ;)

Taekno

EDIT: The restriction cost about 300€ for me. Yamaha Dealership said that you could derestrict it by yourself pretty easily if you want to or they can do it and they will only charge for the time used in the procedure, which shouldn't be more than half an hour.

Draik

Thanks very much for the response - interesting to hear there's two ways of doing it. I'll have to speak to my dealership and see how they tend to do it. Super-happy to hear that the bike still feels great. And that wheelie stuff... I wouldn't know anything about that. Definitely not what I'm after in a bike. ;)

Taekno

I'm not into wheelies either, but once you have the bike you will see that the first two gears can surprise you when you least expect it ;) As Yamaha expresses it: MT = Master of Torque ;) Happens almost every time you try to take off quickly!

Draik

Haha, I was joking - the hooliganism is half the reason I want the bike so I'm fucking psyched to hear it still works with the limiter. Gonna be careful the first six months or so, get used to it and so on, but after that... We'll see :p

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Sudgolf

I've had my Mt since May and it has a mechanical restriction. I have a friend who also has an Mt without a restriction and as others have said above me, the only time I notice is when we are riding on motorways and we are overtaking in lane 3.gor what the bike is designed for and is good at (the twisties) it's the same.

Eddieh93

i have the restricted version and it is fun as hell!!

i definitely recommend buying one!

i am mechanically restricted but as Taekno said you only notice when trying to overtake while going at a fair pace but still does it no problem but would be faster without the restriction.

has anyone tried to take out the mechanical restrictor yet?

Eddieh93

i have the restricted version and it is fun as hell!!

i definitely recommend buying one!

i am mechanically restricted but as Taekno said you only notice when trying to overtake while going at a fair pace but still does it no problem but would be faster without the restriction.

has anyone tried to take out the mechanical restrictor yet?

SirLightyear

It's like two or three screws, isn't it. I haven't tried it. But from what I can see, it is just a piece of metal screwed on the throttle mechanism which limits how far you can rotate the throttle. I think takong ot off is super easy. The problem is the paperwork afterwards. And if you would like to take it off before having the full A license, you might get into trouble. Not really on regular check by police but when you get involved in an accident. It doesn't have to be your fault but you will have to pay the damage on both vehicles and also you will face legal consequences. I was thinking of removong it myself but eventually I decided that it is not worth it. Better to wait one more year than lose my license and everything...

Eddieh93

Completely agree with you SirLightYear, and yes it does look as simple as removing a couple of screws, however I have seen a couple of posts on another forum saying that there could be a restriction on 5th and 6th gear revs?

Any ideas?

Phil_B

I had the UK mechanical restriction done to my bike this week before selling it. I can confirm the only change the dealer made was putting the L shaped bit of metal at the throttle pulley to act as a shorter stop. So no ECU changes on revs etc. Whilst clearly they have to develop and test it and they're not going to sell loads, what stung most was £150 for a very small part and two screws. If you're interested the official dealer used an "Alpha Techniks" Yamaha branded part. I'd seen these on Ebay and thought they would be aftermarket.

Had about 50 miles to tell the difference between this and normal. What was the difference?

Very little in the first 3 gears when riding sensibly - you still get that great shove out of 30mph limits in third gear, and there is plenty of go to get ahead of traffic around town. Riding smoothy on B roads (single carraigeway) at 60mph with overtakes there wasn't a massive difference either as there is enough throttle for well planned overtakes.

However, those on the restriction you do have something to look forward to as the bike defintely has a lot more to give than the restriction allows... from 4th gear upwards I frequently found the throttle stop whilst giving it some on a straight bit of road (something I'd certainly not done previously) - and when wanting to go for one overtake in 5th I had to change down to ride round the restriction when previously a handful in 5th gear would have been fine!

Last edited:

Eddieh93

Thanks for the information Phil_B, I ride the restricted model and cant wait to feel the difference.

As it is so simple I might just remove it and go for a blast on private roads obviously.

Eddieh93

WOW!!!!

Took my restrictor out last night and OH MY GOD is there a difference!!!

Past 5k rev the bike takes off, you can get the power down a lot faster, overtaking at higher speeds is a breeze, front wheel is up easier and the smile on my face is a big as ever!

Cant believe I have ridden it this long with the restrictor in! I have been waiting for so long to have it out and finally done it but just to see what it was like but wow completely different bike! I have reinstalled the bracket this was just a test to see what its like.

Last edited: