Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

dazzor

Any news on this issue ? i am considering buying the MT 07 soon, but this makes me a bit unsettled :(

I've not got an answer for you personally as I'm waiting for my 07 to arrive, however....

If you don't buy an 07, what if any bike will you get instead?

Irksome

I've been stalling a lot recently, and thought I was going mad - but its definitely NOT me, and sometimes I'm having to try for 5-10 seconds to restart the bike - often at traffic lights and always when the bike has warmed up / very warm.
I posted on this thread back in May. I reported the issue to my stealer at first service, who said they couldn't reproduce it, however since the first service and after another 600 mile it's not done it again.

Irksome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

da1kini

MT09 doesn't do it, as far as I can see.
Maybe so but it still a very very isolated problem. And as many reported it only happens a few times. But most of us never had the problem at all. The MT 09 on the other side has a lot of problems. Just google it. And not to mention the extra pennies it cost. And the MT 09 is a very different cat all to together. But if you want to pull some red light burns then by all means its the bike for you. For every day enjoyment you should stick to the MT 07. And I personally think the MT 07 looks better! :)

sdrio

Maybe so but it still a very very isolated problem. And as many reported it only happens a few times. But most of us never had the problem at all. The MT 09 on the other side has a lot of problems. Just google it. And not to mention the extra pennies it cost. And the MT 09 is a very different cat all to together. But if you want to pull some red light burns then by all means its the bike for you. For every day enjoyment you should stick to the MT 07. And I personally think the MT 07 looks better! :)
Yeah, I tried the MT09. It's a beast for sure, but it didn't really get me very excited. Insurance was stupid expensive as well.

McCracken

I've not got an answer for you personally as I'm waiting for my 07 to arrive, however....

If you don't buy an 07, what if any bike will you get instead?
As for now, im considering theese 3 bikes.

1.MT 07 / Honda Hornet 2011
2.Z750 2007-
3. ?

For city driving and weekend journeys.

I only test rode the Z750 of the 3. Z was heavy, but handled well, good looks, perfect dash. I did test drove an older Honda hornet 1999 -or something. The Hornet had impressive agillity and performance! i can only imagine this model has improved in the 2011 version, looks bad ass in matt black! http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-a3dg1tteXXY/TzfEqbK5_WI/AAAAAAAAkwY/hRK8lvPIAjA/s640/Honda-CB-1000-R.jpg

No MT 07's around to try out ;( The Dealership did let me sit on a customers MT 07 awaiting pickup. It felt pretty good, a bit small maybe, im 188cm tall. The finish of the bike seems alright, but not to impressive to be honest. This is where i think the Hornet will be better. I wanna test drive the MT ! :mad:

Last edited:

dazzor

So two inline fours and the MT with its twin block.....the Z750 guzzling fuel and weighing a lot.

I guess it depends what the bikes primary use will be for you.

Had a 2003 hornet for a few years, great bike but I'm personally all done with mid-size IL4's.

Test rode a z750 a couple of times now, too bulky and heavy for me. Too much of a trade-off for nimble, agile fun. I can't justify all that being lost for a bit of top-end rush I hardly get enough road to safety use....just my take on it of course.

rappetor

Having owned a Z750 and Z750R before, I can say those are two totally different bikes. Since I've bought myself a MT-07 you can probably tell what my preference is :) Went from the Z750 to a KTM 690 Duke, and now the MT-07. Think the MT-07 is the perfect 'mix' so to say.

On topic, I sure hope I dont get one that cuts out. But let's see.. (in a few weeks)

AJ Nin

The Ninja 300 is a very capable bike. Not fast off the line for sure, but can creep along in traffic just fine with that short first gear, gets great mileage, and best of all, it handles higher speeds very well. 80-85 mph runs about 8500 rpms. Redline is 12,500. Comes with a slipper clutch and ABS is optional, at least in the US it's optional. Honda is bringing out 3 new 300cc models for the US market. I don't know what's available in Denmark, within the last year or so...since the Ninja 300 came out, there have been a bunch of new small and medium-size bikes. The Ninja 300 killed the Honda 250 sales as well as the Ninja 250r sales, so those bikes are discounted if you can still find them and they will fit your needs.

McCracken

I posted on this thread back in May. I reported the issue to my stealer at first service, who said they couldn't reproduce it, however since the first service and after another 600 mile it's not done it again.

Irksome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
Thats good to hear! Maybe it is an isolated problem after all. :)

roama119

just a quick update on this, my bike has now done around 2000 miles, i did a 100 mile run out over the weekend and it stopped three times, once while coming to a stop and twice whilst sat in traffic, as you engage first ready to pull off. cheers, jez

McCracken

just a quick update on this, my bike has now done around 2000 miles, i did a 100 mile run out over the weekend and it stopped three times, once while coming to a stop and twice whilst sat in traffic, as you engage first ready to pull off. cheers, jez
Ugh,,, :( that sucks. What does the dealship say about this ? sorry if you already answered this earlier, i have not read the entire tread yet.

I know i would have gone bananas if i had this issue with a brand now motorcycle !

Gr8stdane

Have about 400 miles and mine is doing it much less now. I stopped pulling the clutch lever in all the way anymore, and just do the two finger clutch since it releases so far out, which may be helping, although you shouldn't have to adjust the way you ride to avoid it. I noticed my bike will not start in gear even with the clutch in, anyone elses work this way?

da1kini

Have about 400 miles and mine is doing it much less now. I stopped pulling the clutch lever in all the way anymore, and just do the two finger clutch since it releases so far out, which may be helping, although you shouldn't have to adjust the way you ride to avoid it. I noticed my bike will not start in gear even with the clutch in, anyone elses work this way?
Only when the sidesstand is down.

AJ Nin

The bike does seem to idle very low when the engine is hot. Also, this bike is not one that you can begin to release the clutch even a little before you blip the throttle to set out, so stalling when starting out can be related to that. However, if the bike is stalling as you slow with the clutch pulled or just waiting at a light in neutral, that proves there is more to the issue. My bike has never stalled when slowing. Let's hope Yamaha comes up with a fix soon. Hopefully just a new program or even an idle adjustment instead of replacing the ECUs like they had to do with the Ninja 300s. Since the bike tends to stall when hot, I suspect people living in cooler climates may not experience it. Just a guess though. Mine stopped stalling after the first 2 days. I just passed 600 miles with a lot of time waiting at traffic lights. My bike also started out hard to restart when hot. That is also not an issue, but I have had this happen with other new bikes..like the GSX-r1000 and the Triumph Street Triple r before they were broken in too, and they never did it again once broken in. If the Ninja 300 experience is any indication, it took Kawasaki a year before they even acknowledged the stall issue and that was concurrent with their fix and recall. We have no idea where Yamaha is in the process, but I hope they are past the denial phase. LOL

da1kini

The bike does seem to idle very low when the engine is hot. Also, this bike is not one that you can begin to release the clutch even a little before you blip the throttle to set out, so stalling when starting out can be related to that. However, if the bike is stalling as you slow with the clutch pulled or just waiting at a light in neutral, that proves there is more to the issue. My bike has never stalled when slowing. Let's hope Yamaha comes up with a fix soon. Hopefully just a new program or even an idle adjustment instead of replacing the ECUs like they had to do with the Ninja 300s. Since the bike tends to stall when hot, I suspect people living in cooler climates may not experience it. Just a guess though. Mine stopped stalling after the first 2 days. I just passed 600 miles with a lot of time waiting at traffic lights. My bike also started out hard to restart when hot. That is also not an issue, but I have had this happen with other new bikes..like the GSX-r1000 and the Triumph Street Triple r before they were broken in too, and they never did it again once broken in. If the Ninja 300 experience is any indication, it took Kawasaki a year before they even acknowledged the stall issue and that was concurrent with their fix and recall. We have no idea where Yamaha is in the process, but I hope they are past the denial phase. LOL
It is not a heat problem, and not a matter of pulling the clutch rough or giving enough throttle. I tried today and I can release the clutch with 1st gear and no throttle and still make a take off...just have to release it softly. So there must be some other issues with bikes affected. I took a 6 hour ride almost without stops on a 28 degree celsius day and had no such problems. Surely the bike must be made for hot climates...

Ralph

I to think there may be a bit more to this,
as I could set off on the demo bike in 3rd
without doing anything silly or abusive.
I've ridden a few bikes harder to get off
the line in 1st than the MT is in 3rd,
so maybe it only affects some bikes and
is a definite fault or as the demo bike had
I think 800 or so miles on the clock and
I bet they were harder than most the ones
doing it are just a bit tight and will improve
as they build miles and free off, my Suzy did it 3
or 4 times but never since it got to 2000 miles
and had a fastish trip up to the Scottish borders
and back.

AJ Nin

Safe to say it does not affect all bikes. The Ninja 300 stall did not affect all bikes either. There were a lot of owners who thought some of us just didn't know how to ride. I owned 2 2013 Ninja 300s and both had the stall...from day one. Different than with this stall a little, and I have no idea how many had the stall, but I was batting 1000. Kawa never addressed that problem until someone was rear-ended I heard.

sdrio

It's not like that.

You've described a perfectly normal way to start off on a bike - blip the throttle as you let the clutch out.

What is happening here is that as you do that blip on the 'problem' MT07s, the engine misfires. You don't get a proper blip, so the engine stalls.

Let's agree on something. There are MT07s that do it, and MT07s that don't. If yours doesn't, you need to understand that ours are different to yours, and that no amount of advice on how to pull away on a motorbike is going to stop them doing it. It is a fault.

What I have done is adapted my way of driving. Every single time I pull away on my bike, I have to be conscious of the problem and make sure it has gone beyond the misfire point before I start letting out the clutch. This has two effects;

1. It doesn't do it any more.

2. It is the most difficult and tiring bike to operate that I have ever ridden in my life. You cannot relax and enjoy it when you're in traffic, for one second.

So, all you guys waiting to take delivery, keep your fingers crossed, you might not get a shit one. Good luck.

[edit] Just to be clear, when I say it doesn't do it any more, it misfires all the time. It doesn't stall, because I'm waiting till it has revved past the misfire point before I let the clutch out.

Last edited: