Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

sdrio

Perhaps you could start a new thread, inviting members to give advice and tips on how best to ride your bike?
I heard that the best way to go round corners is to lean the bike over a bit. While this sounds rather dangerous to me, can anyone confirm? I usually get off and push it round really bendy bits.

dazzor

I heard that the best way to go round corners is to lean the bike over a bit. While this sounds rather dangerous to me, can anyone confirm? I usually get off and push it round really bendy bits.
Well it gets even odder; I've heard that some crazy mavericks out there actually push the handlebars slightly in the opposite direction on certain bends.

I'm with you though, simply dismount and walk that baby round. It's safe and personally I think I look quite cool pushing my bike round a corner.

cosmikdebriis

Well I learned everything I needed to know about motorcycle safety from watching this...

[video=youtube_share;atDFqxHLctE]http://youtu.be/atDFqxHLctE[/video]

sdrio

Well I learned everything I needed to know about motorcycle safety from watching this...
Actually, joking aside here, my late father was a traffic copper for 20 years in the metropolitan police. Was a triple first class driver, and a qualified accident reconstructor, so knew his stuff.

That film reminds me of him.

As a result of attending rather too many grim scenes, he could be a little overbearing about road safety. Me and my brothers (both of who also ride bikes), most of our friends, and anyone else who got too close would be subjected to fairly intense sessions on how to avoid getting splatted. Of course me and my brothers got more of it than anyone else, from quite a young age!

At the time we thought it was a bit of a joke, but I think he did us all a favour in the end. I am certainly influenced by what he taught us.

Last edited:

heirfaus

Hi everyone. I bought a 2015 fz07 on 07/04/14. It has about 200 miles on it now. It has done this to me twice. Both while at stop lights, clutch pulled in and giving a little blip of the throttle to use the rpms to keep my balance. Its my turn to go. I blip the throttle to bring up the rpms and it dies.... Almost got rear ended yesterday :( I hope Yamaha gets this figured out before someone is picking me up off the pavement.....

Livestrong

Had it yesterday for the first time, turning on my driveway with clutch pulled in and suddenly he cuts off. Hopefully is this a problem with an easy solution!

bram-bram

I've been practicing slow riding with my bike, particularly tight turns at very low speeds (~5km/h). I noticed that if I want to give it a very slight sharp turn on the gas, the engine dies. Every time. It dies when the rpms get back to low from the spike. So I've learned to keep the throttle for a second instead of dropping it back the same instant. I don't have experience with bikes so I thought this is normal behavior. After reading this discussion, I start thinking that it shouldn't be like this.

sdrio

I've been practicing slow riding with my bike, particularly tight turns at very low speeds (~5km/h). I noticed that if I want to give it a very slight sharp turn on the gas, the engine dies. Every time. It dies when the rpms get back to low from the spike. So I've learned to keep the throttle for a second instead of dropping it back the same instant. I don't have experience with bikes so I thought this is normal behavior. After reading this discussion, I start thinking that it shouldn't be like this.
Yeah, this is the other big danger with this fault. It really has an effect on slow riding.

I don't think it's you.

Clutch control is always shaky on a new bike for the first few days/weeks, for even the most experienced rider. You have to get used to it, no two bikes are exactly the same. It took me about a week to get used to mine.

I park in a bike bay during the day, when I leave, I have to pull away into a left turn, as I'm parked at right angles to the road. To avoid stalling (which would almost guarantee dropping the bike), I have to give it a fistful of revs. This is not a sensible way to be making a sharp turn, and I don't like doing it.

So, to answer your doubt, the bike intimidates me as much as it does you, and I have 30 years and 200,000+ miles of biking on my clock.

Ralph

No it shouldn't be like that, if as you say you can repeat it take it and show the dealer see what he has to say.

Ralph

The more that complain the faster they will take it seriously especially if it starts to hurt sales

i have never had my mt-07 stall. i always let the dash do its thing and then start the bike about 2-5 seconds later. also i double blip the throttle when changing down something i always did on track as the bike seems to like it.
i have watched videos and spoken to other riders and it does seem a problem which your going to get with a completely new model. id raise the idle a little and see if it catches it better when your pulling up.
im sure yamaha will know about it but then again they did nothing about the snatchy throttle on the mt-09.

AJ Nin

If you are stopped, then set out to turn either direction with the handlebars turned and the bike dies, unless you are an experienced rider, you could easily drop the bike due to loss of balance and the shift of momentum. Of course if a car behind you rams you when you stall, then you surely will drop the bike.

mrirvs

This is definitely happening to my bike since the temperature has gone up outside. Only happens occasionally and not on every ride but I can feel the fuelling and engine 'stumble' as I open the throttle from idle, sometimes it recovers and revs OK and sometimes the engine cuts out. Can't say I'm too worried unless I need a guaranteed quick getaway from the front of the queue as the engine starts straight away. I'll mention it to the dealer this week and see what they say.

McCracken

i have never had my mt-07 stall. i always let the dash do its thing and then start the bike about 2-5 seconds later. also i double blip the throttle when changing down something i always did on track as the bike seems to like it.
i have watched videos and spoken to other riders and it does seem a problem which your going to get with a completely new model. id raise the idle a little and see if it catches it better when your pulling up.
im sure yamaha will know about it but then again they did nothing about the snatchy throttle on the mt-09.
Please read the entire tread to understand to problem. This has nothing to do with stalling. It has noting to do with pulling off/taking off. This MT 07 problem dosnt have anything to do with the clutch, you dont even have to touch the clutch to make the problem appear. As shown in the video, all he did was to blib the trottle and the engine cut out, just like that.

Im not buying until Yamaha has fixed this problem, for a brand new bike to have the engine cut out just like that, unacceptable Yamaha.

Last edited:

sdrio

This is definitely happening to my bike since the temperature has gone up outside. Only happens occasionally and not on every ride but I can feel the fuelling and engine 'stumble' as I open the throttle from idle, sometimes it recovers and revs OK and sometimes the engine cuts out. Can't say I'm too worried unless I need a guaranteed quick getaway from the front of the queue as the engine starts straight away. I'll mention it to the dealer this week and see what they say.
Yes, sounds exactly right. Stumbling engine.

I see what you say about it not being a problem, but there are a couple of situations where it is very undesirable;

- If you're riding in heavy traffic, it's not unusual to pull into the gap between two vehicles at a set of lights. Stalling when the lights change leaves you sitting in between two moving lanes of traffic. That is very dangerous. Mine has done that several times.

- Slow speed manouvering. As you know, when you're turning slowly, you rely somewhat on centrifugal force to keep the bike upright. If the engine goes as you're turning at 3mph, you're going down, 90% of the time. Mine hasn't done that, because I rev the bollocks off of it, and keep a foot ready. That's not how I like to ride, but the bike dictates that I have to.

It's not a Hollywood drama film every time we leave the house on our bikes, but it's bloody annoying, potentially dangerous and simply shouldn't be happening. Every other manufacturer can build a mid sized twin that doesn't do it, so Yamaha should pull their socks up and sort it out. It's ruining what should be a really excellent bike, for those of us unlucky enough to have lost the lottery.

heirfaus

Well, gentleman, and ladies if you are in attendance as well, what we have here, I believe, is a fueling problem. My suspicion, coming from years as an auto tech, is that Yamaha has made the air fuel ratio pretty lean at idle. This is a great city commuter bike and that makes sense to save a little extra fuel at stop lights to increase mileage.

If anyone here has ever had a carb'ed vehicle, you may remember when the air fuel mixture is lean and you hit the throttle, it stumbles or even dies. When the mixture is too rich (too much fuel) it accelerates fairly smooth, but a little slow, like its down in power.

This is exactly what happened on the Ninja 250 R when it was cold. That bike was a little lean from the factory to get excellent fuel milage. I had to wait for that thing to warm up for 10 minutes or it would stumble and die. I put in a dyno jet kit to increase the fuel amount and the problem disappeared completely. It never stumble and died again.

I think that's what needs to happen here. A reprogram to bump up the amount of fuel at idle. When we blip the throttle, the already lean mixture is getting a blast of air and not enough fuel and stumbling, or in my case and many others, is dying.

Yesterday, I put my FZ-07 next to my 2007 SV650SA (17k miles) and I blip the throttle on both the exact same. The SV instantly jumps to 3k-3.5k rpm furosciously without any hesitation. The FZ kinda seems totally anemic and only kinda slowly goes up to 2k-2.5k rpm. A world of difference! I should make a video because the contrast is so drastic.

Last edited:

AJ Nin

Yes, it can stumble. Give it some gas and it gives you back "stumble". Good word. I also only notice it when the engine is hot, which is nearly always in Texas...over 200 F within seconds of stopping at a traffic light once the bike is warmed up. The stumble can turn into a stall as well, so the two are related. Yes, it does sound like fueling. The Ninja 250r had a carb though, and the FI arrived with the Ninja 300, which also had a fueling problem resulting in stalling that needed ECU replacements on all the 2013 models. Seems to be a very common problem. A different fix for FI vs. carb though. With the FZ-07, I think they will need a new map to download or perhaps a new ECU. It's not going to be an idle adjustment or something simple although I bet you dollars to donuts, if you took your bike into the dealer with this complaint, they would set the idle higher.

sdrio

I've always thought it was a fuelling issue. Nice to see a mechanic commenting.

I'm not sure it's a mileage/economy thing though, IMHO it's probably emissions. Lots of vehicles have flat spots engineered onto them to avoid breaking limits, but putting one at 1,400 rpm seems just dumb.

Question is then, does a fix mean the MT07 can't comply with the law?

I'd happily give 5mpg back to fix this.

Maybe if Yamaha don't do anything we'll nèed to wait for power commander to do it for them