Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

sdrio

Yesterday, I put my FZ-07 next to my 2007 SV650SA (17k miles) and I blip the throttle on both the exact same. The SV instantly jumps to 3k-3.5k rpm furosciously without any hesitation. The FZ kinda seems totally anemic and only kinda slowly goes up to 2k-2.5k rpm. A world of difference! I should make a video because the contrast is so drastic.
I'd be interested to do the same with two mt07's - one that does stall, and one that doesn't.

I was planning to try and do exactly that at the roadshow next weekend, where there should be a few of them around.

Would be interested to see your video though.

dazzor

If this turns out to be a case of the best fix coming in the form of a power commander or similar device usurping the ECU; I'll be gutted.

Poor experience with a PCIII once, mind you, it was battling with a p1ss poor set up on a Benelli TNT 1130 :)

I just don't like adding links to any chain, it shouldn't be necessary with a modern machine. Please let this be a simple map update.

Last edited:

heirfaus

Yes, it can stumble. Give it some gas and it gives you back "stumble". Good word. I also only notice it when the engine is hot, which is nearly always in Texas...over 200 F within seconds of stopping at a traffic light once the bike is warmed up. The stumble can turn into a stall as well, so the two are related. Yes, it does sound like fueling. The Ninja 250r had a carb though, and the FI arrived with the Ninja 300, which also had a fueling problem resulting in stalling that needed ECU replacements on all the 2013 models. Seems to be a very common problem. A different fix for FI vs. carb though. With the FZ-07, I think they will need a new map to download or perhaps a new ECU. It's not going to be an idle adjustment or something simple although I bet you dollars to donuts, if you took your bike into the dealer with this complaint, they would set the idle higher.
Yeah, I was just using the 250r as a recent example of lean stumble/dying that I've seen.

I live in Portland and my FZ only dies when I've been riding for a while and its above 85 degrees. So yes. Def heat related.

Buuuuut, even with out the heat and it dying, and at any temp, the off idle rpm raise is stupid slow compared to my SV. So, yes, fixing the dying is imperative for riders safety. But Yamaha should be embarrassed about the off idle transition rp. Sometimes, I do a quick blip when downshifting like I do on my SV and the rpms almost don't raise at all and then its a harsh downshift. I never had this problem on the SV. The main point: it makes certain aspects of riding unpredictable. That's dangerous in a car and can be deadly on a bike

dazzor

When I had my 990 SuperDuke, it came replete with twin Akrapovic Evo's and an Akrapovic map that was about £15 at the dealers......why can't this wonderful scenario occur on this bike? :(

Last edited:

Irksome

:D

I will.

Actually, prompted by all this I did call the dealer. The mechanic said he'd just had another call 20 minutes before about the same problem from someone else, who was taking the bike to him next week.

I said I'd try and bring mine in as well - the other one has an Akra exhaust (mine is standard), so the mechanic was keen to look at both. Said he or one of his mechanics would take it home overnight, see if they could get it to reproduce the problem.

I'll see how it goes next week. If I get the chance, will drop it off there, if not will ask at the roadshow.

Sorry to go back a couple of pages, but can I just point out sdrio that you bought the bike from the dealer not Yamaha. Your contract is with the dealer, not Yamaha. The Yamaha factory warranty is provided through their dealer network. I really doubt you are going to get anywhere if you don't goto your dealer. The MT roadshow isn't about supporting owners, its a marketing event and you're just going to hear platitudes if you complain to the marketing bods there (PS I'll be at Box Hill this Sunday!).

sdrio

Sorry to go back a couple of pages, but can I just point out sdrio that you bought the bike from the dealer not Yamaha. Your contract is with the dealer, not Yamaha. The Yamaha factory warranty is provided through their dealer network. I really doubt you are going to get anywhere if you don't goto your dealer. The MT roadshow isn't about supporting owners, its a marketing event and you're just going to hear platitudes if you complain to the marketing bods there (PS I'll be at Box Hill this Sunday!).
I'm not planning to complain to the marketing people, I'm hoping there will be someone there from engineering / product development who can comment. If not, then I'll go to the dealer. To be honest what it boils down to is that it's a royal pain in the arse to take the bike to them, and leave it there.

I'm going to the roadshow pretty much for the same reason everybody else is - the see some bikes, and have a day out.

What I'm really doing at the moment is waiting to see whether Yamaha do anything about it. They are aware of the problem (I know this, because I told them about it), they can see if they're paying attention, that it isn't just an isolated incident, or that it's me not knowing how to ride a bike. Last time I contacted them, they denied there was a problem. As more bikes are delivered and more people complain, that's getting harder to justify.

To repeat something I saod erlier in the thread, I probably sound far more peeved about all this than anybody else, but that's because I had an XT660 that spluttered and stalled, an MT03 that spluttered and stalled, and now and MT07 that splutters and stalls. 10 years of spluttering Yamahas is starting to get very tiresome. If I come across as a moaner, it's for that reason. I actually quite like the bike once it's doing more than 5mph.

Meanwhile, the warranty is provided by Yamaha. It's Yamaha that remain responsible for the quality of the product. The dealer is just an agent for them.

Irksome

Your best legal position is vs the dealer using the Sale of Goods act. Goods must be of merchantable quality and a bike that stalls regularly is not of merchantable quality. The warranty is a distraction from your basic legal rights.

sdrio

Your best legal position is vs the dealer using the Sale of Goods act. Goods must be of merchantable quality and a bike that stalls regularly is not of merchantable quality. The warranty is a distraction from your basic legal rights.
The burden of proof is as high under my statutory rights as it is under the warranty. If I've gone to Yamaha and said there's something wrong, and they deny it, the dealer is going to do exactly the same thing under the SOGA. They would at best call it a warranty claim and send it back to Yamaha.

Besides, it doesn't stall regularly. It stalls occasionally and unpredictably. Not all of them do it. That's why we're where we are. There's almost no case for it being unmerchantable, there's a case for it being a defect on this particular bike.

I'm not going to go legal with this, life is too short. If I can't get it fixed, I'll either put up with it, or get rid of the thing. If that happens, I think I'd be an idiot to ever buy another Yamaha though, right?

da1kini

The burden of proof is as high under my statutory rights as it is under the warranty. If I've gone to Yamaha and said there's something wrong, and they deny it, the dealer is going to do exactly the same thing under the SOGA. They would at best call it a warranty claim and send it back to Yamaha.

Besides, it doesn't stall regularly. It stalls occasionally and unpredictably. Not all of them do it. That's why we're where we are. There's almost no case for it being unmerchantable, there's a case for it being a defect on this particular bike.

I'm not going to go legal with this, life is too short. If I can't get it fixed, I'll either put up with it, or get rid of the thing. If that happens, I think I'd be an idiot to ever buy another Yamaha though, right?
Finally after 2500 KM I managed to get a stall. Maybe mine is difference then yours but I tell you what happened anyway. I was cruising on 6th gear for like 15 min on a highway. Then I came across a turnabout and began with lay of throttle and pull the clutch and managed to forget to down shift until I reached the turnabout and noticed I was in 6th gear still. Started down shifting from 6th in VERY LOW speed and the gear indicator told me nada but I could hear the gears shifting... So I tried to release the clutch and it stalled. So maybe there is a problem when down shifting not hitting the right gears at the right speed causing the stalling?

Ralph

Maybe someone that knows how to do these things could start a poll
along the lines
As it ever stalled
During running in
During running in but not after
Wile stopping
Wile ticking over
On setting off
anything else you may thing applies,
the we could maybe get a feel for how many do it and
gather a little evidence for when the dealer says "never heard of one doing that sir"

It doesn't sound like many are doing it and the demo bike I rode was perfect but I
dont doubt some are and it wants sorting as there is no way a new bike should do
this in this day and age or a owner should have to put up with it.

Last edited:
bike still hasnt stalled on me yet but i have felt the odd drip in revs suddenly when idle. but the bike instantly picks up again. when cold revs at 2,000 and when warm just over 1,000.
i always let the computer do its thing and then start engine about 2-5 seconds after. i have also noticed the clutch cable has needed a bit of adjusting in the first 300 miles if used the bike so maybe something to look at.

jim

Had a few embarrassing stalling incidents during the first 600 miles and struggled to re start on a couple of those but now seems to be ok , over 1500 miles now and really liking the bike no other problems.

Phil_B

Just for the wider evidence gathering (I'm not gloating or saying other bikes aren't bad). Mine seems to be ok and I feel any time it's stalled it's been me.

Id say even on my bike that I don't think is wrong, it is definitely possible to pull away and not give it "enough" and it will give up with a wimper.

It doesn't cut out when slowing down or putting it in neutral or anything.

McCracken

The issue with the MT 07 is that many users report the engine cutting out, simply turning OFF, all it takes is a blib with the trottle in neutral or with clutch pulled in.

It has nothing to do with normal stalling - that can happen with any bike..

For thoose that has experienced totally normal stalling when using the clutch wrong, being in wrong gear and what not, make a seperate thread please.

Im not buying this bike until this fundemental problem has been fixed, or at least Yamaha comes out with some official explanation about this. This is not acceptable for a brand new 2014 motorcycle.

Last edited:

sdrio

The issue with the MT 07 is that many users report the engine cutting out, simply turning OFF, all it takes is a blib with the trottle in neutral or with clutch pulled in.

It has nothing to do with normal stalling - that can happen with any bike..

For thoose that has experienced totally normal stalling when using the clutch wrong, being in wrong gear and what not, make a seperate thread please.

Im not buying this bike until this fundemental problem has been fixed, or at least Yamaha comes out with some official explanation about this. This is not acceptable for a brand new 2014 motorcycle.
Being picky, it's actually not the blip that kills it, the blip causes a misfire and if the engine is under load at the time, it dies. You can sit in neutral and blip as much as you like, all that really does is cause the misfire.

So the manifestation of this is one of two very specific situations;

1. When you go to pull away, as you open the throttle and start to let the clutch out, the engine misfires and the load on the engine caused by the clutch being partially released stalls it. It is in reality a 'stall' in the correct sense of the word, but it's not the rider causing it, it's the misfiring engine.

2. As you're slowing down, normally you blip the throttle as you change down the box, to synch engine speed to the lower gear, then let the clutch out for engine braking. The same misfire happens, you let the clutch out and the same 'stall' happens.

Both of these can be avoided by being more heavy handed with the throttle. This though means that a) You're being more heavy handed, and that doesn't lead to smooth riding, and b) You have to remember to be heavy handed, because the moment you forget, the bugger will do it again.

But I agree with you. Anyone who thinks I'm stalling my bike through incompetency is welcome to ride it along upper Thames Street at 8:15 am, and see if their superior clutch skills will keep them from stalling in front of one of the several dozen 30 tonne tipper trucks heading off to fill up with crossrail dirt that they'll be weaving in and out of.

McCracken

Thanks for correcting me sdrio.

The sooner this MT 07 engine problem gets solved the sooner i will put my MT 07 in order. I hope they fix this before the spring, otherwise my money is going in the direction of Kawasaki or somehting else than Yamaha.

Last edited:

Rouqui

mine has only done it once and I'm still running in. I would guess it is fuelling because the 70mpg I'm getting (so are other riders) is so economical for a 700cc bike