Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

da1kini

No, you don't got it wrong. It's exactly that. It's just Sdrio is fed up with the bike at the moment, and then everything seems wrong. I kinda know the feeling (had something similar with a car once). However, not being fast cannot come as a surprise indeed (assuming a test drive was done before buying).

Fortunately my bike has no problems whatsoever. Did a 2300km 5-day trip last week (to Germany and Switzerland in the mountains), and nothing wrong at all.. As the majority of the people seem to have a good running bike, it seems like they (Yamaha) are able to make bikes that run good. So people with problems should really keep pushing and asking for a solution. It's the only way (or yeah, get rid of the bike).. Kinda like the MT-09 throttle thing..
well agree, but whats not fast? I mean it does 0-60 mph in 3,6 secs...ok so you can't go up to 186 mph but what the hell when ever is that needed on the roads? :)

dazzor

well agree, but whats not fast? I mean it does 0-60 mph in 3,6 secs...ok so you can't go up to 186 mph but what the hell when ever is that needed on the roads? :)
It's nippy and arguably fast for the class it's in. But....

If you've owned or ridden bikes (lots of us have, I'm sure you have too) with 80+ pounds of torque and well over hundred ponies actually on the back wheel....all in a package weighing the same or LESS than 180kg's you'll know the label of fast is then truly deserved.

I don't know, maybe the 07 is fast and the bikes I speak of are "super-fast".

After a decent tenure on bigger, fast bikes the term I find myself saying is..."it's fast enough" yes, for me, the 07 is more than fast enough.

rappetor

After a decent tenure on bigger, fast bikes the term I find myself saying is..."it's fast enough" yes, for me, the 07 is more than fast enough.
True..'Enough' is the keyword here indeed (enough torque, enough hp, light enough etc.) :). But obviously it's very personal in the end. I love the fact I can accelerate through a few gears on the MT without going insane speeds. Not like other bikes I've owned where redlining the 1st and/or 2nd gear would always end up in loosing my license.
Weirdly enough the MT-07 is the cheapest bike I've owned so far (besides my Kawa GPZ 500 S), but also one of the 'best' (most fun) bikes I've owned over the years. I hope that feeling sticks for a long time. And my bike doesn't start cutting off like some others do... Because that is annoying obviously.

For those with bikes cutting off. Did you ask your dealer to slightly up the idle revs and slightly increase the mixture? They should be able to do that when they hook the bike up to the computer.

DJP

Since making my last post above, I haven't experienced the stalling issue at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a running in thing - maybe caused by the engine still being a bit tight?

Because now mine's done a few thousand miles it seems to have stopped doing it.

Ralph

Quit a few on other forums report it going away once the bike is fully run in,
my last bike a Suzuki did it about 4 times in the first 1000 or so mile then
never again for over 18,000 miles, I had a ride on a BMW F650 the one with
strangely a 800 twin engine a few days back after doing a job on it and that
did it but it was partly my fault a V-strom I owned did it but rarely so the MT
isn't on it's own,

Nuggets

unexplained stall once when running in, block changing at a roundabout whilst coming to a stop for traffic. No issues since being run in (now done 900 miles). Akropovic exhaust is the only engine mod and this was fitted at the dealers when I first picked up the bike.

AJ Nin

I THOUGHT my stall was gone, but it returned yesterday. Here in Texas, it is hot so I haven't been riding very long although I ride every day. Yesterday, I rode the FZ-07 10 miles up to 80 mph, exited the freeway and the first stop sign I came to, I downshifted into 1st, pulled in the clutch and stopped. No traffic, so clear to go, but the engine begins to die. I gave it some throttle (still clutch fully squeezed) but the throttle response was not good...sort of like a lawnmower needing to be choked. I kept tweaking the throttle and it didn't die...but it almost died. Then I gave it some throttle and took off from the stop sign. I just haven't experienced the stall because I haven't been riding with a hot engine. Warm, just not hot. That seems to make a difference. Anyway, I can probably keep the bike from stalling, knowing what I know by listening carefully to the engine and giving it some throttle before it dies, but that is not what I should have to do. The bike needs a new ECU or a new map I think.

xt660isgood2

I like most love this bike to bits but I think there maybe issues here (Can't be asked to read thro this whole thread) Since I got her I have pretty much neglected the trusty xt660x.
Anyway.. In the last 2 weeks have been back on the xt and still love it. Yesterday was back on the MT and had a pulling away nearly stalling moment and just managed to save it.
It seems you have to rev the MT a little more and slight slip of clutch to pull away safely. I was surprised because only noticed the MT issue with switching between the 2 bikes.
From my point of view it's only diffo riding techniques between the 2 bikes and not a problem but can understand previous posts. Am guessing the fuelling is border edge and catching people
out "myself included" not a big issue tho? Yam need to be addressing this issue tho. Because it's not doing what normal bikes do

bram-bram

I had the problem bugging me in the beginning, but now I completely forgot about it. I have 2300 km on the bike, I ride it every day and the stall seems to happen at most once a week, and only if it happens that I don't give it enough gas when I start moving. As "xt660isgood2" says, I no longer see it as a problem but more like the way this bike likes to be used.

eriks

stalling when clutch is pulled in and starting to move on 1st gear from traffic lights. couple of times during 5500 km. not so big problem though intimidating :)

Bigger thing! :

At a turn on 2nd gear, if clutch pulled fully in. i know shouldnt do it and not doing so normally. but once did and engine died rightaway.

Irksome

FUC£ FU&K F*CK

Its happening again to mine! Last week 2 stalls, and I nearly dropped it pulling out from a parking space, with a bit of lean on and the engine just 'hesitated', what I think was a misfire. And then the worst one of all was tonight as I got back through London after a 130 odd miles with one early stop I stopped at a set of lights, went to pull away as they went green and she just died, and someone trying to beat me off the lights bumped into me from behind. No apparent damage, fortunately it was a minor bump and I didn't get knocked off but I'm going to be insisting that Yam look into this now as there have been 3 near misses now.

Irksome

jeppebm

I have now experienced it - with 550km on the bike

look at that.

[video=youtube;0zZ3-JdIudE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zZ3-JdIudE[/video]

watching it over and over again, im not sure if i released the clutch just ONE tad too much before engagingn the throttle when i realize im not going to have to stop. Hmf :D - more trips to see if it was a Error 40 (danish reference to the error being 40 cms back from the object - BEING ME)

Last edited:

Sivvo73

I had it probably 5 times ( under 1k miles ) since then i've only experienced it once, i mentioned it to the dealer during its first service and asked if the idle could be adjusted. Occasionally had the low rev wobble like it was about to stall , that was fixed with the idle response ( i know this is two different issues ) because the happened a few times when throttling not just letting the revs drop. I can definitely vouch for my engine feeling looser since the run in period. It's almost like a tight set of bearings not free wheeling and then almost as if overnight i noticed an apparent loosen of the engine and the ways the revs free flow. From this point i don't appear to suffer the engine cut out issue, coincidence (maybe) but here's hoping [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ralph

Cant see that being rider error, many seem to stop doing it after running in but at 550 km you would think
it would have done it earlier, I have notice if you take the riders seat off theres a vacuum unit/sensor on
top of the air box, this is connected to something referred to as a fuel cut off valve I did wonder if it was
anything to do with that, but thinking about it if is likely just a auto petrol tap.
Mines only at 120 miles and not done it yet but will likely be at or around 600 miles by week end so we will see.

da1kini

I have now experienced it - with 550km on the bike

look at that.

[video=youtube;0zZ3-JdIudE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zZ3-JdIudE[/video]

watching it over and over again, im not sure if i released the clutch just ONE tad too much before engagingn the throttle when i realize im not going to have to stop. Hmf :D - more trips to see if it was a Error 40 (danish reference to the error being 40 cms back from the object - BEING ME)
I think it is because you did not release clutch while down shifting from 5th to 2nd and then 1st. Someone earlier posted about a similar problem where it got stuck in neutral. I think the gearbox and the engine did not communicate when you downshifted like that.

Try and do the exact same thing again and see if it happens again....

jeppebm

Okay! Yeah thanks for reminding me thats right... i read that to somewhere. But notice in the video on the display that i dont get the Neutral problem. That i have also tried 2-3 times ... that downshifting needs another NOD on the gear pedal to reach GEAR 1. A bit annoying. Im 450 km away from my service - so we'll see what difference that makes - and mounting my brand new IXIL HyperLow exhaust :D

but im low on cash atm so im waiting for a small sale to go through to get some liters in the tank again!

da1kini

Okay! Yeah thanks for reminding me thats right... i read that to somewhere. But notice in the video on the display that i dont get the Neutral problem. That i have also tried 2-3 times ... that downshifting needs another NOD on the gear pedal to reach GEAR 1. A bit annoying. Im 450 km away from my service - so we'll see what difference that makes - and mounting my brand new IXIL HyperLow exhaust :D

but im low on cash atm so im waiting for a small sale to go through to get some liters in the tank again!
Yes, but I think the problem with stalling on your part was I mentioned earlier. Far as I understand the other one having the stalling problem it accurs randomly and a lot of times when going away from idle at a stop sign and so on. Yours is more like the "neutral" problem.

On 1 st service , make sure they check the body throttle sync. Seems a lot of mechanics skip that part cause they are lazy :)

Ralph

Mine as been fine then today at 160 miles just after the fuel gage went to one bar it did it twice once when changing from 4 to 3rd
very like in the video then again about 5 miles later it cut dead wile waiting for traffic at a junction, no warning just cur dead no chance
of saving it, it did not do it again after a fuel up even in heavy traffic but I looked at the video above and that bike did it with plenty of fuel in,
As I have said before my Suzuki did the same about 4 times up to about 2000 miles then never again I will talk to the dealer at first service.
With modern injection when you close the throttle the ecu totally cuts the fuel till the revs drop to a pre set level then starts fueling again
to keep the engine running, it felt to me as though the engine revs were dropping so fast the ecu did not have time to re start fuling so
the engine just stops. though why it does not do the same thing every time I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

Ralph

It did it 3 times in 350 miles round the Scottish Borders on Friday,
it's in for first service on Tues and they are going to stick it on the
diagnostics and see if anything comes up, I doubt it will but will
let you know the outcome, now as 540 miles on the clock.

itsme

I've had mine 5 weeks and just done over 1000 miles, mine cut out once at about 300 miles, I was on the M18 nearside lane doing 50 in 5th and it just cut out ,no gear change or clutch movement just a steady throttle, then it did it again at about 900 miles slowing down to traffic lights in first and just as I pulled the clutch in it packed in.Will keep an eye on it because when it packed in on M18 I just managed to pull over out of the way of trafic which was close behind. Having read most of these post I think a letter to the DVSA would be prudent as if any of these occurrences happen and cause death or injury then there must be a blame if this has been reported and not acted on by Yamaha. This report can be done online .https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect

Last edited: