Fuel consumption

btpw92

So finally got my grubby hands on my MT07, Grey ABS. Firstly i'll say I'm in the UK just to avoid any confusion. So reading the manual it says the engine is designed for premium unleaded, but the I read somewhere that as long as its octane 95 I'd be onto a winner. What are you guys using?

sdrio

Since the bike ran in my fuel consumption increased to 4.1-4.3 L/100km. The range decreased under 300 km so everything is normal now. It seems I was too cautious during the break in.

I have an other experience.

If the tank is full the bike running smooth. But as I getting closer to the reserve the transition from engine break to engine pull is getting harsh. There are a small delay if you apply mild throttle after engine break period. I suspect the petrol moves forward and the pump suck air.

Can anybody confirm this?
Doubt it, any air in the fuel line would take a certain amount of time to get to the business end, and secondly the mixture going into the cylinder is fuel/air anyway. The injectors would presumably balance out any extra air as they squirted the fuel in.

sdrio

So finally got my grubby hands on my MT07, Grey ABS. Firstly i'll say I'm in the UK just to avoid any confusion. So reading the manual it says the engine is designed for premium unleaded, but the I read somewhere that as long as its octane 95 I'd be onto a winner. What are you guys using?
I've used both, no noticeable difference between them.

Ralph

Mine just running round the lanes 50/60 mph did
228 miles then cut out got 13.39 litres in
48 miles with the display flashing.
about 77 MPG UK.
around the same as I was getting from my 400 Burgman
scooter and about the same as a mate gets from a BMW
F650 800cc twin.

badger27

I've noticed it doesn't really matter what the mpg is I always manage to find a petrol station before I run dry

Ralph

So do I but I have had some close calls, 19 miles on reserve feels like 90 when you
don't know were the next open station is.

1a2a3a

Just had my first test of the fuel consumption.
Still in break in period.
Mostly city riding, speed around 70-90 km/h.

On the meter, I'm getting 25.x KM/L or 72 MPG or 3.9x L/100KM.

I honestly think there is something wrong with the claimed 14 litres full tank.
While riding today, when trip F came out, I was thinking...."since 14 litres with 2.7 reserve, hence it meant that 14-2.7 = 11.3"
That would effectively safe to assume, trip F will appear when you use up 11.3 or 11.x of petrol.

So I rode 10km while on trip F and when to the petrol station. Alarmingly, the bike can only take in 10 litres.
I thinking if my mind is playing tricks on me or that the claimed 14 litres should instead be 13?

ken_nx

2016 MT07 from Hong Kong since last Dec, most rides are highway rides with 120KM/h+ and some slow speed in traffice jam.

Just finished the first 5000km, fuel consumption quite steady at 22-25KM/L

cheers

Ralph

Been out with a mate on a small scooter today, cruising along at 40/45 mph
07 just over tick over along little scoot screaming it's head off trip said 88 MPG UK
the trip on mine is usually about 5 mph low so it's likely done over 90 MPG UK likely better
than the small scooter, how they get a near 700 cc twin to be so good on fuel I don't know.

joao

Hi,

The very first 260 km passed with less than 10 Litres. It is less than 4 L/100km (more than 70 MPG). Class B roads, no urban at all, very cautious drive. Rev between 3000-5000, speed around 90-100 km/h, max 120. ECO signal almost always is on. Clock shows 3.9 L/100 km, seems accurate.
Hi, Peter.
I would like to know if the roads you ride have curves and also if they have hills?
I am thinking of buying a mt 07 and i'm only gonna do a lot of B roads with curves and some hills,
and lots of kilometres per day, i'm trying to antecipate the range i can get riding at the speeds that you ride.

No urban traffic, just b roads with curves and hills and riding at 80/100 km, max 120. Anybody with similar riding?

sdrio

Hi, Peter.
I would like to know if the roads you ride have curves and also if they have hills?
I am thinking of buying a mt 07 and i'm only gonna do a lot of B roads with curves and some hills,
and lots of kilometres per day, i'm trying to antecipate the range i can get riding at the speeds that you ride.

No urban traffic, just b roads with curves and hills and riding at 80/100 km, max 120. Anybody with similar riding?
I've been doing some training recently, and most of that is on exactly the kind of road you're talking about. Speeds between say 40 - 60 mph, and short motorway blasts at 70-75mph. This is all 'progressive' riding, which means if you need to nail the throttle, you do it. Economy isn't the main priority, but at those kinds of speeds the MT07 is very efficient anyway.

I've got around 65mpg, which I believe is about 4.3 l/100km. You might get a little better if you're driving strictly for economy.

In town, in traffic it's between 50 - 55mpg, which is 5 - 5.5l/100km.

joao

I've been doing some training recently, and most of that is on exactly the kind of road you're talking about. Speeds between say 40 - 60 mph, and short motorway blasts at 70-75mph. This is all 'progressive' riding, which means if you need to nail the throttle, you do it. Economy isn't the main priority, but at those kinds of speeds the MT07 is very efficient anyway.

I've got around 65mpg, which I believe is about 4.3 l/100km. You might get a little better if you're driving strictly for economy.

In town, in traffic it's between 50 - 55mpg, which is 5 - 5.5l/100km.
thanks for sharing, sdrio.

so i could expect maybe 70 mpg or more if i concentrate mainly on fuel efficiency (to the point i irritate myself), right?
Or the hills and the curves will not allow any more mpgs than the ones you mentioned?

sdrio

thanks for sharing, sdrio.

so i could expect maybe 70 mpg or more if i concentrate mainly on fuel efficiency (to the point i irritate myself), right?
Or the hills and the curves will not allow any more mpgs than the ones you mentioned?
I think you reach a point at which it just becomes senseless to try and decrease consumption.

As Ralph said above, if you ride at 40mph you might get even better figures, but he was only doing that because he was riding with someone on a scooter. If you are really happy to ride at 40 mph when you're by yourself, then in reality, you might as well just get a scooter - they're half the price of an MT07, and cheaper to run.

We ride MT07s because they're MT07s. They're light, torquey, and excellent for doing exactly what you're planning to do. The downside is they use a bit of fuel to do that, and my honest opinion is you're unlikely to do much better than about 65 - 70mpg without losing the whole point of the bike.

As you say (and I think you're quoting me from another post), you eventually irritate yourself if you try too hard. I know when I get to that stage I give it a handful of throttle just to cheer myself up!