Gel or other soft material for the (so bad) seat ?

jeppebm

Now you can treat your ass with a custom made Corbin Gunfighter genuine cowhide leather seat. Why not "adult gator" seat, "snake" pillion and sides, braided leather welts and dark gray stitching/logo? Awsome! Yours for around USD 400 + shipping.
View attachment 1524
I would wish for this to be purchasable in Europe - a product at 400dollars is sick expensive in shipping. In denmark i could end up paying close to the price of the product in shipping expenses!
Do you know any in Sweden how has a dealership of these Anders?

Signum

I bought the comfort seat as I'm commuting 80 miles a day. Sitting on it for the first time I thought at first it was even thinner and firmer than the original. But, it's got some different kind of filling and is actually more comfortable and I can cover longer distances. It's still not a touring seat. When I have some money I'm going to get the original seat re done as well.
On a side note the comfort seat looks a lot better than the original and by coincidence has red stitching that matches my MT

Hammerian

@ Anders.

Now you can treat your ass with a custom made Corbin Gunfighter genuine cowhide leather seat. Why not "adult gator" seat, "snake" pillion and sides, braided leather welts and dark gray stitching/logo? Awsome! Yours for around USD 400 + shipping.
That top seat looks superb very expensive but superb would like in white piping.

Wonder if anyone has tried yet as i'd be interested to see if its worth the money.

Shame they don't sell in the UK.

Thanks

Ham

D

Deleted member 20

Link to US FZ-07 site with guy who have the Corbin seat. Ask what he thinks.

What have you done to your FZ07 today? | Page 6 | Yamaha FZ-07 Forum

As far as ordering, I think the best deal is directly from Corbin since it's a custom made product incl. the custom made pan. Corbin seats have the reputation of being built around pretty firm foam, but on the other hand very well shaped and lasting forever. Except the carbon-look coated genuine leather shown on pics above, It has delaminated from the leather in some cases. If I were to invest and pay for a genuine leather seat, I would want the look and feel of leather, not vinyl. Corbin seat pans are fiberglass and a bit heavy, expect 1½ to 2 times the weight of your stock seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

gregjet

Ok I am going to appear seriously wierd here but here goes.
First I have done many thousands of KM on motorcycles including a recent trip to Phillip Island ( for the motoGP) across to South Aus then back here to Bundaberg last October ( total of about 6000km in 3 weeks). It was on my TR650. Done bigger trips but that was a long time ago. Spent 2 years going back and forwards to my girlfriends place in Cairns from Townsville every few weeks ( 350km one way).
I also ride bicycles ( mountain bikes nowdays including 8 hour and 24 hour events). One thing that I have discovered is that firmer seats get less uncomfortable over an extended than soft ones. Bicycles seats have about 10mm of padding ( proper ones not girly seats). The softer the worse they get. In fact biomechanics wise it makes sense. We are designed to sit on our Ischial tuberosities. These are the little lumpy bits you can feel if you push into your buttocks. If you put pressure for any length of time on the rest it tends to press on nerves and blood supply. A seat that feels plush and comfy when you first sit on it will slowly become uncomfortable. BMW seats are especially bad for it I have found. My F800R seat was atrocious. Got it recovered with a much firmer and thinner foam and it went from being un-sitable on within 80km, to easily comfy for the ride to and from Cairns.
I put a Seat Concepts set ( foam and cover) on the TR650 Husky for the big trip . We were doing between 500 and 700km a day. The original ( again a BMW seat incase you didn't know Husky was owned by BMW at that stage) was a 120km limit seat. The Seat concepts took 3 to 4 hundred to start getting ...er...unpleasant. The least uncomfortable seat I ever had was on my CX500 when I went from Townsville to Adelaide ( via Bathurst about 8000km total). That was a high density foam sheet glued onto the fibreglass seat unit I made for it. About 20mm thick. no cover. I could sit on it all day.
Another thing is covers. If they are too grippy won't allow you to slide sideways off the seat for cornering. If too slippery you slide around under braking and acc. Hard balance that one . On my racing motorcycles took almost a year of changing seat pad covers to find the right balance.
Seat concepts have a foam/cover set in development. I might get one of these if it looks like it might suit. You have to staple it yourself or get a local upolsterer to do it though. I have an air stapler so no problem for me but most hand staplers even heavy duty ones won't do a good job.
I have the MT as a fun bike rather than a tourer ( The Tr650 is that...32 litre tank), so I might just make a carbon seat and put a foam pad on it yet. Certainly better feedback when cornering.

Last edited:

user1

Greece seat

Looks Great !! Gives me some ideas....!

I like how the increased padding fills out the seat and makes the seat hug and hide the bike's frame line (better than stock). I also like the way it rounds-out those god-awful "rabbit ears" in the rear. I'd rather see exposed chrome clips and mounting bolts for the seat than those weird rabbit ears for covering upr the anchoring screws. And what was Yamaha thinking with the phyallic symbol thing running up the rear of the gas tank. Cut it off !! give me a small, gracefully padded (Velcro attach) on the tank in its place, then wrap the new front of the seat *around the new bib (ie 2-pieces).

I notice that the front of the seat that does go up the tank is softened and shaped by the extrapadding and/or extra foam !!! The tongue, or whatever it is called on the factory seat is graceful now; not obscene. To me, this is Art ! There is an appealing design present now were there was nothing but ugly before. The 'tongue' now looks like its acutally part of a seat instead of an afterthought ..... Transformation accomplished ! I like how the the rear line of the seat is a bit straightened rabbit ear to rabbit ear.

Nevertheless, Excellent Improvement !!! - 5 Stars - Easy to look at. This seat has been revised and improved, and gives some well deserved CLASS to the -07 !. :cool: BRAVO !

Last edited:

user1

the land of FORM and FUNCTION

only complaint the 3-4cm taller position caused by the widening
ill visit the guy to trim the edges 2+2 cm for the feet to touch the ground easier(hell do it for peanuts)
as for the comfort,i can ride for hours,it even absorbs the bumps
REPLY to Poster: Would you tell us what kind of materials were used, especially inside - and how it was done, so maybe the seat could be duplicated in other locations by or for riders in this forum. I really like what was done to your rider seat !.....

Opinion: The Yamaha design for the 07's existing seat seems to me to be an after-thought; which runs counter to the rest of the design work done on the bike. I would hope that Corbin, etal, might actually get creative with the 07 seat, and go for a modified or totally new design for the 07 seat. (i won't hold my breath). Eventually, some rider somewhere with an artistic leaning and the skills required, will come up with something for the 07 that is both Comfortable AND Aesthetically pleasing.

You have taken the first step; and the results are outstanding !

RideOn

Last edited: