How is the MT-07 in the wet?

Dissidente

Hi guys.

I'm considering buying the MT-07 in the next couple of months (either the MT-07 or the CB500F; I know, i know, very different rides), and I've found these forums about a week ago. Have been reading everything I could about the bike and know I would like to ask you some questions, and this is one of them:

How is the MT-07 in the wet? Have anyone rode it under rain (heavy rain even)? Given all the torque I expect it to be a meditation exercise ehehe

How's that fat tire behaving?

Cheers

Mushymi5

I rode in really bad rain, that was bouncing and it was perfect, as long as your not beaning it, you should be good.

Irksome

Its good - I got properly soaked in one of the heavy downpours yesterday (jeans!) and was therefore eager to get to my destination - greasy london roads without too many slithers.

D

Deleted member 20

The MT is good in all conditions. Tires are more important than CB vs. MT. With Pilot Road 3 or 4 or Angel GT you are fine. Can't understand why anyone consider CB before MT other than Honda has loads of them -- unsold, in stock ;-)

Dissidente

and30ers, it's a bit of reason vs passion.

I'm riding for about 3 years now. I have been always a car guy. If you told me 5 years ago that I would be riding a bike I would laugh. Didn't knew I had it in me. I got into riding to save fuel costs, and now I only drive my car to take my kid to school (for now... eheheh) and drive the whole family.

Now I want to take it to the next level. I'm applying for driver license A and looking for a bike to carry on the legacy of my faithful Roadwin, which has taught me almost all I know. =) All things considering (low fuel consumption, sensible pricing, good all-round purpose suitable for about 75% commuting, 5% highway, 10% dicking arround, 10% touring with a pillion and luggage (the wife will be inheriting the Roadwin but for touring we will be using the new one most likely), and being a bike to last about 4-5 yrs) I have come to either the CB500F or the MT-07 (the first is the reason, the latter the passion =P)

I have yet to try to test ride both, and am heavily biased towards the MT-07, but am still sorting all things in my head (and my heart =P).

My main concerns are overall issues (like this one), pillion "confort" for little touring (even if it will represent a small amount of the bike's use, but will be longer in duration) and storage solutions (can't imagine this bike looking good with any top case =\ ).

So the CB vs MT isn't all that farfetched, and is being more of MT before CB ;-)

D

Deleted member 20

Hi Dissidente,
Not that the CB is bad, it's just that the MT is a better buy in my opinion.
In Sweden the CB500F is 220 Euro more expensive than the MT-07.
The CB is made in Thailand, the MT is till made in Japan, feel the plastic grips on the CB and you understand why.
The CB is 10 kg heavier and has 27 hp less, I think driving the MT with pillion will be a better experience, carrying the load better.
The CB might have a sligtly more comfy pillion seat, but none of them will make wonders for the rear end.
View attachment 291
The MT is very fuel efficient, my wife is driving it regularly at 3,3-3,6 liter/100km, and when I am piloting it with more spirit it's at 3,8-4,0 liter/100km.
GIVI will soon release the 2118FZ topbox rack for the MT, pair that with the B37 (or B47 if you want to fit 2 full-face helmets) box and I think you'll have a good looking solution.
View attachment 292
Other touring additions as screen, hand protectors, heated grips etc. you can fit on both bikes.

D

Deleted member 20

Pic of our MT with touring screen, Pilot Road 4 tires, heated grips and soon B37 box and Acerbis hand guards. My TDM to the left with B47 box.
View attachment 293

DJP

Mine's fine on it's Bridgestone 023s.

I think that the 270 degree firing cycle, more like a V twin, helps it to find traction as well.

D

Deleted member 20

Got BT-023 at delivery, sold them to a friend and got new proper PR4s instead.

da1kini

Got BT-023 at delivery, sold them to a friend and got new proper PR4s instead.
I got Michelin Pilot Road 3 on mine from delivery! Strange...

Ehn looking at videos at youtube I see that there are different tires on some of the bikes? Did they alter between BT 023 and Michelin PR3?

Last edited:

Will145

I got Michelin Pilot Road 3 on mine from delivery! Strange...

Ehn looking at videos at youtube I see that there are different tires on some of the bikes? Did they alter between BT 023 and Michelin PR3?
Yeah it appears so - when i collected my MT there was another one just delivered which had BT's on whereas I have Michelins. Dealer reckoned the Michelins were the better tyre.

D

Deleted member 20

Yes, the two (BT023 and PR3) are both std spec tires, you never know which you'll get on your new bike. The BT023 last longer than PR3, is a little bit better on dry but is lacking grip in wet conditions. For me it's safety first, cold temps and wet roads are pretty common conditions for Swedish spring and fall riding so changing to PR4 today instead of waiting for the BT023 to wear out was an easy decision. The change costed me only £157 net.

DJP

I was a bit wary at first of the 023s, only because I always used Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 on my last bike, but I've found the Bridgestones to be perfectly acceptable. In fact, I'll probably stick with them come replacement time.

That said, I used Bridgestone 020s on my bike-before-last and never had an issue with those.

da1kini

I was a bit wary at first of the 023s, only because I always used Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 on my last bike, but I've found the Bridgestones to be perfectly acceptable. In fact, I'll probably stick with them come replacement time.

That said, I used Bridgestone 020s on my bike-before-last and never had an issue with those.
Bridgestones are very good, it´s jus that for swedish roads and temperature I believe M PR3 is better allround tyre! ::)

DJP

Bridgestones are very good, it´s jus that for swedish roads and temperature I believe M PR3 is better allround tyre! ::)
Quite possibly.

Although don't forget, it's cold and wet often enough in the UK, too! :)

Dissidente

and30ers your touring project seems pretty interesting. =)

The few MT's that I've watched all came with Pilot Road tires (here in Lisbon, Portugal). For me it would indeed be an important thing to consider, as I am an all-weather rider (and the last winters were wet as hell)

D

Deleted member 20

My wife’s new set. Little rounder profile helps when layin down, new dual compound with more silica for improved grip when wet.
View attachment 316