Pyramid rear hugger extender

spencer

Anyone lost there Pyramid rear Hugger Extension after just using the glue they supply with it ? I did this morning somewhere down the M2/A2. I followed the instruction to the tee it still feel off, spoke the company who sold it to me and they said its happened to them and put it down to the cold weather that the glue is not bonding properly, they are going to replace the hugger which i am well pleased about. so if your thinking of buying one be warned.

Attachments

Last edited:

Yaminator

I always thought the plastic rivets would not be strong enough with the extra weight..........?
But please correct me if im wrong??

spencer

They hold most of the panels on the 07 so they must be pretty strong if that don't work I will try some black pot rivets I have in the shed. not losing another one lol

Hammerian

I connected mine with silicone sealant only it hasn't gone anywhere its rock solid.

I connected my front one the same too no rivits and no problems.

Ian

Donut

For my front one I used the supplied self-adhesive pads and some Evo-Stik 'Sticks Like Sh*t' that I had lying about and for the rear I just used the Evo-Stik 'Sticks Like Sh*t'. Left both plastics indoors to set for 2 or 3 days before remounting due to the cold weather. Both ok so far.

spencer

Is evo stick water proof ? and would it be able to take so much water being flicked up on to the guard over time.

nobull

Hmm. Just fitted both front and rear with the tube of glue supplied for rear, kept it inside so the glue would go off overnight but still hasn't gone properly hard, will have to keep an eye on mine! Spent longer modding than riding so far, arrow is going on tomorrow:) Glad to hear they replaced it!

Ralph

Hit a Grouse on a V-strom at about 3/4 of the way to the ton, everything flapped about leg
knocked of foot rest feathers blood and snot everywhere no idea were the biggest part of
the feathered suicide case went but though some of the little plastic fasteners had popped
open non were broke and I could clip it all back so they are stronger than they look.

spencer

Hmm. Just fitted both front and rear with the tube of glue supplied for rear, kept it inside so the glue would go off overnight but still hasn't gone properly hard, will have to keep an eye on mine! Spent longer modding than riding so far, arrow is going on tomorrow:) Glad to hear they replaced it!
yes I left mine for over 24 hours in doors too I really don't think any glue used will last with the amount of punishment the rear end takes. mine does 70 mile a day round trip so I will def be riveting.

Donut

Is evo stick water proof ? and would it be able to take so much water being flicked up on to the guard over time.
Well I guess the answer to this question is - NO

Noticed today that the rear extension to the hugger is now missing. Pity as it looked good and was cheap.

I guess that if you are going to go down this route that a better/stronger fixing is needed.

I'm not going to bother with another one and will get a longer hugger from Powerbronze instead, when I get back from the TT.

spencer

Well I guess the answer to this question is - NO

Noticed today that the rear extension to the hugger is now missing. Pity as it looked good and was cheap.

I guess that if you are going to go down this route that a better/stronger fixing is needed.

I'm not going to bother with another one and will get a longer hugger from Powerbronze instead, when I get back from the TT.
when I lost mine I contacted the people who sold it to me and told them what had happened, and they said to me. they that had problem with the glue not sticking and sent me a new hugger free of charge I have now pot rivet it on with black rivets its still there and not down the A2 somewhere lol

Biker Bill

Looking at the Pyramid extender instructions it looks like you need to remove the existing mini hugger to glue on the extender. Is this correct and if so how easy is this to do? Can you do it with he bike on the side sad or do you need a paddock stand? I am not the world's most accomplished motorcycle mechanic as you may have guessed from the above so was just wondering how easy it is to do.

Donut

Looking at the Pyramid extender instructions it looks like you need to remove the existing mini hugger to glue on the extender. Is this correct and if so how easy is this to do? Can you do it with he bike on the side sad or do you need a paddock stand? I am not the world's most accomplished motorcycle mechanic as you may have guessed from the above so was just wondering how easy it is to do.

Paddock stand will make life a LOT easier as ideally you need to remove the rear wheel to access the little securing plugs - both to remove the existing mini-hugger (so that you are able to thoroughly clean it) and to put it all back together.

Probably best also to leave the newly glued bits to set for a day or so if you can before putting them back on the bike.

Dmtm2005

Paddock stand will make life a LOT easier as ideally you need to remove the rear wheel to access the little securing plugs - both to remove the existing mini-hugger (so that you are able to thoroughly clean it) and to put it all back together.

Probably best also to leave the newly glued bits to set for a day or so if you can before putting them back on the bike.
Hi, You can actually remove the chainguard / hugger without removing the rear wheel to fit the extension , it's a bit fidely getting the two prestud type fittings back when re-fitting but with a bit of patience I managed it .

Many thanks to you guys who unfortunately lost yours , after reading about your plights I went into the garage yesterday and made sure I wouldn't lose mine by drilling a 6mm hole either side and fitting two of the prestud type fittings , didn't even have to remove it again and they look as if they are ment to be there.

Peace of mind for the TT journey !

Torque

Hi, You can actually remove the chainguard / hugger without removing the rear wheel to fit the extension , it's a bit fidely getting the two prestud type fittings back when re-fitting but with a bit of patience I managed it .

Many thanks to you guys who unfortunately lost yours , after reading about your plights I went into the garage yesterday and made sure I wouldn't lose mine by drilling a 6mm hole either side and fitting two of the prestud type fittings , didn't even have to remove it again and they look as if they are ment to be there.

Peace of mind for the TT journey !
Any chance of a photo? This is what I'm looking to do.

user1

slightly off topic but how do the hugger extensions work with regard to water and mud splashing the underside of the bike and rider's legs ?? thanks