The horn button

Yaminator

Does anybody else find the left switchgear ridiculous,
You try to use the horn for a bit of rage and you end up having difficulty trying to find it and you get even more mad..
It would be nice to find something else from a different model that has a more normal setup to fit the MT at least you'll get a better indicator switch..

Ralph

No problem finding the switches but the indicator switch seems very loose and feels cheap n nasty.

Torque

I agree about the position. I got badly cut up on a busy roundabout today. Dozy b*tch was stationary in her lane one minute then suddenly decided to swap lanes right in front of me with no indication and presumably no mirrors. I was doing about 20 mph and had to brake hard to avoid a collision. Once safe I reached for the horn, then reached again and finally found it on the 3rd attempt!! Needless to say she was keen to avoid eye contact.

I'm seriously thinking of wiring a second button in parallel in a better position, I may even buy an aftermarket horn.

BTW I'm sure glad I bought ABS. I felt it kick in, not saying it would've ended badly without but it was a nice bit of insurance to have. Will be fitting an SC Project exhaust in 2-3 weeks so that will also hopefully give some extra insurance.

sdrio

The switchgear layout seems really boneheaded all round.

Half the problem is that 99% of the bikes any of us have or ever will ride have a common layout, but Yamaha suddenly decided that needed changing. Maybe they employed a design team from Microsoft, they're the champions of mucking up stuff that everybody already knows how to use.

The starter is stupid as well.

Any other bike, you push the button with your thumb, it's all one movement, and within reach when riding. This one, you reach up, find the thing, move it backwards. Two separate movements, requiring you to partially remove your grip on the throttle.

That might be OK, but given that this crapheap is so prone to stalling, it makes it a serious negative.

Oh, and mine sticks on 'start' now.

Last edited:

spencer

Have the same problem with the horn can never find the bloody thing when I need it. so now just shout. lol

marekmechl

Absolutely agree ....

I just wonder to change the horn button with light horn button, which is much better accessible. Not to change buttons itself, but just the wires...

D

Deleted member 20

Absolutely agree ....

I just wonder to change the horn button with light horn button, which is much better accessible. Not to change buttons itself, but just the wires...
Even better might be to wire both buttons to dual function, light + sound in one press of any button. :)

sdrio

I've taped my horn button to be permanently on.

It saved me the £700 I'd have had to spend on an Akrapovic. Does exactly the same job.

nobull

I cant turn the indicators off without bashing the horn (think i'll leave the sunshade on helmet down!) at least once every 10miles. Been riding 14 years but looks more like 14minutes to passers by! I'm guessing with road rage i'll be accidentally indicating too..... Love the horn comment sdrio!

xt660isgood2

Does anybody else find the left switchgear ridiculous,
You try to use the horn for a bit of rage and you end up having difficulty trying to find it and you get even more mad..
It would be nice to find something else from a different model that has a more normal setup to fit the MT at least you'll get a better indicator switch..
Doubt anyone can here the horn over that exhaust lol. You right tho. almost seems like you have to look down for it by which time the dikcheed is way over the horizon

addy

My horn button now doesn't work half the time, needed to use it a few times the last week and nothing, have to press it hard 3 or 4 times before it will do anything.

Off to the dealer I guess.

Ralph

Yamaha have been fitting reliable switch gear since they stopped making
bamboo rickshaws then suddenly they seem to have lost the plot.

dazzor

Done about 4,000 miles now and still hate the horn button location.

I've also come up with the idea of swapping wiring so the headlight flash/pass button does the horn and vice-versa.

Would this cause an issue in 2.5 years when I go for my first MOT? (UK based)

Still think the MT07 is a lovely bike for the money, just wish Yamaha tried less to keep costs down and increased the price slightly to give us a better bike....the suspension, especially at the back is shocking.....ha ha, see what I did there ? :D

Dave48

The Horn Button

Have previously owned 5 Yamahas & never had a problem until now. I cant reach the button without moving my hand from its natural riding position. A very poor design change for no good reason that I can think of. Not impressed!

Gee

The first time I took the bike out I was in a town centre, and having just turned into the main street, accidentally pressed the horn when trying to cancel the indicator. The horn went off just as I was alongside an old lady walking down the pavement with her toddler grandson. Frightened the bejesus out of them. Swiftly pulled over and apologised and explained, luckily she saw the funny side. Needless to say I was embarrassed as hell.

Torque

I have the opposite problem. I've never caught the horn when cancelling the indicators but by the same token I can never seem to find it in the heat of the moment. It's just too far over to the right to be comfortably reached by my thumb (and I've got quite big hands).

dazzor

Yamaha made a real clanger with the horn button IMO. "Heat of the moment" comment is spot-on for me.

I love the bike, apart from build quality and personally wanting an alternative to chain drive for lower maintenance...I can't image a more suited bike that delivers decent torque and cuts through traffic that isn't tiring to ride as it's light and nimble.....just what I look for in my bikes....BUT...then we have..

1) the horn position
2) suspension
3) general build quality and moreover corrosion potential

The last one will most likely see me selling this machine sooner than I initially hoped. Yes I've AFC 50'd it......But the thing feels like it will fizzle out like a slug in salt in a proper UK winter.

Just sold my non-running NTV650.....so unless I get another hack, my MT is going to have to face poor weather come the end of the summer....we shall see.

nobull

I have the opposite problem. I've never caught the horn when cancelling the indicators but by the same token I can never seem to find it in the heat of the moment. It's just too far over to the right to be comfortably reached by my thumb (and I've got quite big hands).
Two knobheads pulled out on me today, with the baffle out of Arrow too, and i was fumbling around like a teenager on a promise on both occasions, to no avail! Hope i'll get used to it eventually