This is really serious..!

Ralph

The wind noise may annoy the rider but the exhaust will no doubt be annoying the hell out of everyone
you pass, and they don't have the luxury of ear defenders .

Gaulois

I do like both, & to be honest as a London rider i feel and notice after trying both i feel a big vulnerability with a quiet exhaust,
So after hearing guys talk about loud pipes i now agree you have got to have a bit of noise it is a big help for everyone especially for London, to much traffic & to many people on phones & with so much on their minds.
& it also turns the heads of real bikers.... So whatever i suppose, so go ahead & judge, its how i feel & i feel better with a bit of noise...
You got my attention on the noise issue, it could indeed be needed.

DeadHead

My MT-07 is baffle out because it's my commuter bike and In the morning I often have to wade through a ton of traffic, the louder pipe makes them aware I'm about and more often than not they move over for me which I always thank them for. Sometimes a blip of the throttle helps those with selective hearing, I do not rev the f*ck of it, I really don't need to.

My S1000r is my fun, ride all day bike, it's not loud, I don't want it to be it would drive me nuts. It can scream at full chat like any IL4 but by then you are seriously way over the speed limit. It's got the official Akrapovic end can which in all honesty sounds almost the same as the stand pipe, it looks much better which is why I changed it.

Gee

Did 150m yesterday after picking the MT up on Friday. Akrapovic with the baffle out, no ear plugs required. Lot quieter than my old Bandit was.

Yes it is loud but not too loud if you control your right wrist and ride sensibly.

Asked a lot of people, including my neighbours what they all thought, as I was concerned it may have been a little too loud as its pretty loud just ticking over, but they all said its fine and sounds nice.

Going to chop up the DB killer and see if I can tame it just a little. Just because people don't like loud exhausts does not make anyone who uses one a twat. There is a time and a place for them but that guy in the vid was being a dick using it to deliberately scare pedestrians.

bypasser

I commute every work day year round through central London traffic. Have done continuously for the last 5 years+. Never have I felt the need for louder than stock pipes (even on the MT07) and never have I had an accident. Whenever I've had the need to let others know I'm there I've found the horn works 100% of the time (yes, I can find it on the MT07).

In none of the many close calls I've had did I think "louder pipes would have prevented that". Most often I've thought better riding and common sense on my part would have prevented that.

I can understand the appeal of louder pipes, I just don't think I agree with safety as a justification. (And we've all risen to the bait by responding to the OP).

And past a certain level it's just bad manners.

Last edited:

Ralph

The 07 is one of the quietest bikes on the market so the wrecker's should be full of cheap bits
soon, riding one on those electric bike must be close to suicide, when insurance company's
start giving reductions if you fit a loud pipe I will believe it.

Last edited:

sdrio

I may be alone here, but even as a 30 year+ biker who understands exactly what it is to be on a 2 wheeler among a lot of 4 wheeler traffic, when a bike with an obnoxiously loud exhaust comes up behind me, whether I'm driving a car or a bike, my vehicle will always become 2 feet wider.

I'm never the fastest bike on the road, and I will almost always move out of the way to let another bike through, whether it's a moped or a Fireblade. You and your chopped up exhaust though? Nah. Go round the other way. lol.

sdrio

I commute every work day year round through central London traffic. Have done continuously for the last 5 years+. Never have I felt the need for louder than stock pipes (even on the MT07) and never have I had an accident. Whenever I've had the need to let others know I'm there I've found the horn works 100% of the time (yes, I can find it on the MT07).

In none of the many close calls I've had did I think "louder pipes would have prevented that". Most often I've thought better riding and common sense on my part would have prevented that.

I can understand the appeal of louder pipes, I just don't think I agree with safety as a justification. (And we've all risen to the bait by responding to the OP).

And past a certain level it's just bad manners.
The fault in the logic is that while a car can hear you coming, he can't see where you're coming from.

Your loud pipe is likely to make him do *something*, but it might not be the right thing. He might pull into you. Emergency drivers say the same thing - drivers often get flustered and either stop dead in front of them, or pull into their path.

I always take the view that it's 100% my responsibility to make sure I don't get swiped by a car, including when it's not my fault. Just don't be where they can hit you, end of story. Using a loud exhaust instead of common sense to do that wouldn't work for me.