Would you keep your MT07?

Noggie

I'd like to try the MT-09 and compare, I can't imagine it will be any more fun than the 07.
For price point and category nothing can touch the 07, not even close.
Nope I'm keeping mine for 3years then I will look about..the way I feel about it right now though I might be keep it longer unless Yamaha have an updated model and I wanna chop it in.
I sat on the MT09 in the shop, the seat was too wide for me, made it very uncomfortable to stand and hold the bike up as the seat was digging into the inside of my thigs. It was good to sit on while riding, but I thought it would anoy me at stoplights ect.
Love the narrow MT07, no issues there, and that's why I got that instead.

sdrio

The MT09 is quite a different bike.

It feels a lot more powerful than the 07, but the delivery is pretty brutal. It goes like shit off a shovel, but the drive train is really snatchy - I imagine it's something you'd get used to, but I was kangarooing on the 09 test drive, whereas testing the 07, with a similar lack of experience I was a lot smoother.

Makes a better noise in standard trim.

I went for the 07 because I was looking for a commuter. The 09 was way more than I needed.

amavro

Totally agree . drove the mt-09 very recently , the bike doesn't have the agility that the mt-07 has in traffic , it is pain to drive it in standard more and in B mode it doesn't look faster than the mt-07 at least till 100 kph . The seating position is crap , the bike doesn't have the easyness and character of the mt-07 . Also quality wise the mt-07 feels and looks better .
The only bike I drove second time and it is more complete package than Mt-09 but has some drawbacks as a mentioned to a post here is Monster 821 but it costs double the money and of course it is not for every day .
Even Yamaha tracer mt-09 I don't think it would be better for town because it has wider bars than mt-09 ,it is heavier and bulkier than mt-09 .
So at least for me I would wait for a faster version of mt-07 if you need more power or for a half fairing version of mt-07 (even better )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudrock

The MT09 is quite a different bike.

It feels a lot more powerful than the 07, but the delivery is pretty brutal. It goes like shit off a shovel, but the drive train is really snatchy - I imagine it's something you'd get used to, but I was kangarooing on the 09 test drive, whereas testing the 07, with a similar lack of experience I was a lot smoother.

Makes a better noise in standard trim.

I went for the 07 because I was looking for a commuter. The 09 was way more than I needed.
I am very lucky, I have both.

I had the mt09 when it first came out, still on its standard ecu mapping, as I love the brutal delivery, always put a massive smile on my face when I pin the throttle, yes its very different to the mt07, the pegs are further back, and when a smart arse BMW/MERCEDES driver thinks he can out gun me, he can just eat my dust, but when I am on the mt07, not a chance, I am lucky if I can out gun MINI!
But I love both of them, I use the 07 for work and the 09 when I want more FUN,
Both bikes are 100% keepers.

Phil_B

but when I am on the mt07, not a chance, I am lucky if I can out gun MINI!
Really?? I'm not claiming it's a superbike but it will wheelie in the first 3 gears (say testers with more balls than me!).

In terms of usable torque... Pinning the throttle in third gear 30-60 is certainly quicker than most cars.

Phil_B

In terms of the question posted...

I'm undecided yet. Having had a great first year with the MT, lured in by its ease of riding I have been tempted by bigger bikes, then supposedly more fancy bikes.

This ended up in my going bit mad and buying a street triple around Christmas time.

It's wonderful and has more allure for me, but getting back on the MT it is just so damn easy to ride, and a fun bike that you can take liberties with really.

Part of me really wants to keep both, but my sensible head keeps telling me to sell the Yamaha as whilst I did commute on it in decent weather last year, I do don't massive miles to warrant two bikes.

It doesn't cut out though if somebody wants to buy a "good one" :-D

Last edited:

Donut

Will know more when the weather improves and I find time to ride mine. The MT09 was too much riding a super motard (and it doesn't do anything that my Speed Trip already does) and the front end on the BMW F800R was too vague to justify the price as I'd need to sort it if I owned one.

Considered an SV but not really a Suzuki man but should maybe have tried the Kwak ER.

DeadHead

when a smart arse BMW/MERCEDES driver thinks he can out gun me, he can just eat my dust, but when I am on the mt07, not a chance, I am lucky if I can out gun MINI!
I'm really surprised by that comment because the 07 has a lot of low down torque that some bigger bikes can only dream about, it's only the fact it runs out of puff fairly early on that the cars would inevitably catch up but really it should be over by then. Think you're doing the 07 an injustice with that comment :(

I'll try out the Mt-09 when mine goes in for a service later this year...will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the other bikes I've tried in the same category like
the STR, Z800 and Brutale 800.

I also bought my bike for commuting as I have a 'FUN' bike as well, thing is I've really enjoyed riding the 07 and have gone on so many rides other than the commute I have racked up 3000miles in just 4 months.

amavro

Did an unexpected race with an Audi TTS and had him till 100kph , after this he was gone .I think if I had the mt-09 Or Ducati 821 he wouldn't stand a chance .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph

With the MT if you want it to go fast you have to turn the throttol a long way, likly done that way to make it new rider
friendly but make no mistake when you do realy wind it on it flyes.

sdrio

That's weird - on my way to work this morning I had a little sparring match with . . . an Audi TTS.

He seemed to be keeping up, but as this was in Putney at 7:45am, there was traffic so I just disappeared.

sdrio

I'm with Mudrock on the speed thing.

The MT07 feels quick, and has good torque, but on the rare occasions I've revisited my misspent youth and raced another vehicle, it's surprising how easily they keep up with you. It will beat most cars from the lights, but not by much.

You're not going as fast as you think you are.

rappetor

Also one of the things I like, you can go through a few gears without doing 200+ km/h like on a sports bike. Which makes things a lot more fun around here (with all the sneaky speed controls and unmarked cars that follow you around until you screw up etc).

But indeed, the MT 07 makes you feel faster than you think you might be going. Unless its a winding road with lots of nice corners, chances are you are fast. Low weight and torque is great :)

MrSquidbeak

The answer is complicated .
The main answer is YES- Thats because i saved up and paid cash for my first ever brand NEW bike.

But if it was stolen or got offered a very good price for her then NO- If it was stolen and i got a pay out then i would go for something else. Also if was offered the right price would sell. My reasons are the build quality of the bike. I have posted in the RUST Thread a couple of times. Im having rust issues with my 2 month old Yamaha which is devastating when i put all my hard earned saved cash into this bike. Planing to have kids next year so this will be my first and last new bike.

Other options- I would go for a Triumph Speed Triple or Ducati Monster if had a second choice

Nuggets

And that is why man invented ACF50 and the like, I wiped mine all over using a small sponge as soon as I got it, sure it took a bit of time but so far (touchwood) no rust or signs of oxidation on the bike except a light surface rust in the bar ends (I forgot to get the ACF50 in there) but that's easily sorted out.

Noggie

If the specs on the MT07 is correct, it is usually listed with a 0-100(60) time just over 4 seconds, some German testers claims 3,8 seconds, not many cars do that. even a novice rider should be able to get it around 5 seconds, still way faster than most cars.
I took a brand new TT 230hp for a spin last week, think 0-100 was 5,3 seconds, so no match for the MT07.

That said, from 100 and up I guess the car has the edge, as I do see the MT run out of grunt as the speed picks up.

rappetor

0-100 (kmh) is mainly driver related, not so much the motorcycle. So if cars can keep up with the MT 07 you ain't fast enough! Obviously after 100kmh its up to the motorcycle mostly.. (Well, longer intervals before shifting, bit more easy).

Regarding rust, I'm going to tectyl the crap out of mine (well, the exposed metal stuff that is.. or the stuff with a very thin layer of paint eg some bolts). And perhaps some bitumen spray (?) at the inside of the swingarm. To avoid stone chipping and rust. But only there where its not visible obviously :)
But since I'm changing the hugger anyway I can do that as well.