2016 Yamaha FZ-07 arrival?

William

Does anyone have an idea when the 2016 FZ-07 will arrive on the showroom floor or when I might be able
to see photos of it on the 'net? I can't buy a 2015 model because I need a good fairing for highway riding. Hope-
fully the 2016 will have a fairing?

D

Deleted member 20

New Yam models typically introduced live at INTERMOT and/or EICMA in October/November.
Then typically hit dealers from mid December to March.

sdrio

I sound like a grumpy old man when I say this (I am a grumpy old man, of course), but the 2016 models arrive on 1st of January 2016.

I get the same feeling about manufacturers pinching a year on the model description as I do watching yet another DFS 'sale' being advertised on TV - why do they assume we're all stupid?

If it was made in 2015, it was sold in 2015, why are you calling it a 2016 model?

Noggie

I sound like a grumpy old man when I say this (I am a grumpy old man, of course), but the 2016 models arrive on 1st of January 2016.

I get the same feeling about manufacturers pinching a year on the model description as I do watching yet another DFS 'sale' being advertised on TV - why do they assume we're all stupid?

If it was made in 2015, it was sold in 2015, why are you calling it a 2016 model?
Not quite.

I have been very involved in BMW cars over the years and this is how BMW do it, an I assume all other manufacturers do the same.

A 2015 model is made through July, in August no cars are made, and the production line is updated with next model year changes.
All cars manufactured from September 2015 is therefore 2016 spec.
It is therefore possible to take delivery of a 2016 car in October 2015.
Next year it all happens again.

I guess this is done because January 1st is a bit late to start making this years model.

So no, the 2016 model does not arrive on 1st of January.

KristianJeppe

If you can buy it in 15 it's a 15 model. If it doesn't go on the market before 1st of January it's a 16 model that's how I see it. The production change is in the middle of the year then it's still a 15 model.

Noggie

so using your logic.
If a shop has a car built in 2010, and you buy it and register it as the first owner in 2015 its a 2015 model?

When I shop for cars I look at the build date. For BMW the -14 model 5 series came with a facelift, meaning all cars built from 9/2013 has this facelift, these can usually be ordered from June/July with this spec. That means you can get a car sold and registered in 2013 with the 2014 spec.

If the car had to be built in the same year, they would not have any 2016 model in the showroom before February.
This may be confusing to some, but it makes perfect sense when you realize that in order to be ready with the 2016 model January 1st, you need to start production some time before the end of 2015, and because of this, some 2016 models are ready for delivery late 2015.

sdrio

Not quite.

I have been very involved in BMW cars over the years and this is how BMW do it, an I assume all other manufacturers do the same.

A 2015 model is made through July, in August no cars are made, and the production line is updated with next model year changes.
All cars manufactured from September 2015 is therefore 2016 spec.
It is therefore possible to take delivery of a 2016 car in October 2015.
Next year it all happens again.

I guess this is done because January 1st is a bit late to start making this years model.

So no, the 2016 model does not arrive on 1st of January.
Yeah, I think you're missing my point.

A car built in 2015 is a 2015 car, regardless of what a marketing department call it. 2015 is not 2016.

I know that's what they do, but to me it's just bull.

sdrio

so using your logic.
If a shop has a car built in 2010, and you buy it and register it as the first owner in 2015 its a 2015 model?

When I shop for cars I look at the build date. For BMW the -14 model 5 series came with a facelift, meaning all cars built from 9/2013 has this facelift, these can usually be ordered from June/July with this spec. That means you can get a car sold and registered in 2013 with the 2014 spec.

If the car had to be built in the same year, they would not have any 2016 model in the showroom before February.
This may be confusing to some, but it makes perfect sense when you realize that in order to be ready with the 2016 model January 1st, you need to start production some time before the end of 2015, and because of this, some 2016 models are ready for delivery late 2015.
It's not confusing at all to me. It's confusing to people who also believe DFS are selling sofas for half price.

What I'm saying is the guy who proudly tells people he's got a 2016 BMW, in November 2015 is just being a sucker. It was made in 2015, it was sold in 2015, he took delivery in 2015 . . . it's a 2015 BMW dude.

This all came from when I lived in Brazil, where a cars description on it's documents would always be year of manufacture / model year, and pretty much every registration document from March onwards would say 2008/2009 or equivalent on it, which to me was stupid.

tw586

VW in the late 50's and from then on carried out there updates in aug so My 65 sept build beetle is actually a 66 MY ( model year ) so you can have a 2015 plated MT that is an MY16 bike.

sdrio

VW in the late 50's and from then on carried out there updates in aug so My 65 sept build beetle is actually a 66 MY ( model year ) so you can have a 2015 plated MT that is an MY16 bike.
Ah, so it's the 'model' thing that's confusing everybody.

OK, but anyway. Anything you buy up to 31 December this year is a 2015 MT07.

Glad we got that sorted. ;)

Noggie

I never look at the registration date on a car, as the car may be registered up to a year later than it was built.

I go by MY year tw586 say.

I bought and registered my MT-07 in 2015, but since it is red, it's a MY2014, the MY2015 does not come in red.
BUT, my bike was bought and registered in 2015, and is by your logic a 2015.

In say 5 years time or something I will sell my bike, do I list it as a 2014 or a 2015?
Based on my registration I can sell it as a 2015, but someone who know these bikes will know that there is no red 2015, and it has to be a 2014.

The main reason for going by MY year, is that new options are introduced on the new MY.

I.e you can't get a MY2015 red MT07, and you can't get a yellow MY2014 MT07.
If you know these things you won't end up buying a bike/car that does not have what you want.

Last edited:

sdrio

I never look at the registration date on a car, as the car may be registered up to a year later than it was built.

I go by MY year tw586 say.

I bought and registered my MT-07 in 2015, but since it is red, it's a MY2014, the MY2015 does not come in red.
BUT, my bike was bought and registered in 2015, and is by your logic a 2015.

In say 5 years time or something I will sell my bike, do I list it as a 2014 or a 2015?
Based on my registration I can sell it as a 2015, but someone who know these bikes will know that there is no red 2015, and it has to be a 2014.
It's not necessarily a two way thing.

My issue, and I am perfectly aware of why these things are done, is that companies and buyers of cars and bikes do this simply to make the vehicle seem younger.

So, if you bought your MT07 in 2015, as far as I'm concerned it's a 2015 bike. If it was manufactured in 2014, that doesn't really make much difference to me. If you want to call it a 2014 bike, go ahead. Just don't try to convince me a 2015 bike is in fact a 2016 bike. It isn't.

da1kini

Jeez, how is this even a discussion. :)

A new car bought and manufactured in 2014 can be a 2011 years model. By the time it hits 2015 and they launch a new model it becomes an old model.
Now, if you sell that car 2015 you would say it is 2011 years model bought in 2014 which then makes it a 1 year old car but a 4 year old model...

And no, its not strange to buy a 2016 version of a new model in late 2015, because if you launch a 2016 model 1st of january and it has to be actually made in 2016, then you have to start building it on the assembly line and the first 2016 model would be shipped and delivered around april 2016...how fun is that?

Last edited:

Noggie

Jeez, how is this even a discussion. :)

A new car bought and manufactured in 2014 can be a 2011 years model. By the time it hits 2015 and they launch a new model it becomes an old model.
Now, if you sell that car 2015 you would say it is 2011 years model bought in 2014 which then makes it a 1 year old car but a 4 year old model...

And no, its not strange to buy a 2016 version of a new model in late 2015, because if you launch a 2016 model 1st of january and it has to be actually made in 2016, then you have to start building it on the assembly line and the first 2016 model would be shipped and delivered around april 2016...how fun is that?
Exactly.

Problem is that there is small changes every year, new options are introduced, options become standard, the car has a facelift, new engines are introduced. Etc.
My 5 series BMW came in late 2010 as MY2011.
at this time halogen lights was standard. Xenon option, from MY2014 there is a facelift, and now xenon is standard and LED are option. A completely new model is expected as a MY2017 or 2018.
Changes from 2011-2013 range from upgraded navi system, sound systems, instrument clusters, suspension changes ect.
And from MY2014 there was lots of changes, new head/tail lamps, slight body changes, completely new idrive system with touch pad, new engines. Etc
These things are important to some people. if I want the new idrive and LED headlamps, I need to look for a car manufactured from 9/2013, or the MY2014.

I can't tell how dissapointed I would be to go check out a 2014 and find out that it's actually a MY2013 registered in 2014, and not having the stuff I'd expect it to have.

Noggie

Any of you guys want to buy a bridge?

Or a sofa? It's half price this week, better hurry.
I might need a new sofa actually.

half price is half price, however that usually means that there is a new model on the way, so you can get the old one cheaper this week.

Another concept you can look into is "selective pricing".
This concept means that the same merchandise cost different in different markets.

Take the MT-07. In the UK its around 6000 euros, right?
In Norway it is 11.000 euros, yes there is a higher tax, but even without tax its more expensive than in the UK. Why?
Well, this is where selective pricing kicks in, Yamaha expects that since Norway is a high cost country, Norwegians are willing to pay more for an MT-07 than a Brit, and prices the bike higher in Norway.

This is also done with cars, every now an then they will run "specials", you get 3000€ worth of options if you buy now, you get 4wd for 1/4 of the original price. This does not mean they give stuff away, but they have cut their profit margin, or, they have removed the selective pricing addition for that market, and you as a consumer thinks you have a bargain, but the seller has just lower the price to the normal level.

Back to half price sofa.
Not sure about your country, but in Norway they must list the before and after price, which means I actually get the sofa for half price, and not "half price".
If they run a half price special, the original price will sometime be on the product, and they will take half off at the register.
It is also forbidden by law to increase the prices shortly before such a sale to trick you.
So if I was to buy a sofa at half price for 1500€, I would have the proof that this was actually a 3000€ sofa.

sdrio

Maybe this isn't translating.

DFS are famous in the UK for always having ads for their 'sale', when in reality they have offered whatever it is at a higher price for a couple of weeks earlier in the year. It's not illegal, and lots of other companies do the same. DFS are just the most visual as they advertise constantly. People make jokes about it.

The rest, I understand completely. I know that a model year isn't necessarily the same as the year of registration, my point is that sellers (mis)use the model year as marketing bullshit, and buyers use it to pretend their vehicle is a year newer than it really is.

So, put simply, if it's 2015 and you tell me you're sitting on a 2016 Yamaha, I will laugh at you.

da1kini

Maybe this isn't translating.

DFS are famous in the UK for always having ads for their 'sale', when in reality they have offered whatever it is at a higher price for a couple of weeks earlier in the year. It's not illegal, and lots of other companies do the same. DFS are just the most visual as they advertise constantly. People make jokes about it.

The rest, I understand completely. I know that a model year isn't necessarily the same as the year of registration, my point is that sellers (mis)use the model year as marketing bullshit, and buyers use it to pretend their vehicle is a year newer than it really is.

So, put simply, if it's 2015 and you tell me you're sitting on a 2016 Yamaha, I will laugh at you.
Translation or not, I don't undertand why you don't understand the concept of selling a 2016 years new model in late 2015. Its not like they are saying you can buy a Yamaha manufactured in the future today. They just let you know that the new model version of 2016 is available for sale late 2015...

tw586

the funny thing is in australia, regardless of when you first register the bike, it goes by build date, I just bought for my wife a new YZF r15. it is a MY14 but the Compliance plate (Build Plate) is 09/13 so when I go to sell it in a few years from now it is against consumer law to advertise it as a 2014. due to this fact dealers are very willing to get rid of their old stock early in the new year. just saved about a $1000 on a $4500 bike and also upgraded the exhaust as well. But I will loose at the end with an older bike.

Gaz2212

I think what we're getting at is you can buy a 2016 specification bike in 2015 but it will always be a 2015 bike regardless, if you want a 2016 registered bike you need to buy it in 2016, you cannot call your late reg 2015 bike a 2016 if it is not registered then, you can say it is a 2016 specification bike registered 2015
the issue here is between year specification and year registration