2016 Yamaha FZ-07 arrival?

sdrio

Translation or not, I don't undertand why you don't understand the concept of selling a 2016 years new model in late 2015. Its not like they are saying you can buy a Yamaha manufactured in the future today. They just let you know that the new model version of 2016 is available for sale late 2015...
Designed - 2015
Built - 2015
Sold - 2015
Registered to go on the road - 2015
First ridden on the road - 2015

Obviously it should be called a 2016 bike. How silly of me. :rolleyes:

sdrio

I think what we're getting at is you can buy a 2016 specification bike in 2015 but it will always be a 2015 bike regardless, if you want a 2016 registered bike you need to buy it in 2016, you cannot call your late reg 2015 bike a 2016 if it is not registered then, you can say it is a 2016 specification bike registered 2015
the issue here is between year specification and year registration
Yes, of course that's what I'm saying.

The thread refers to a '2016 Yamaha FZ-07'. What is now being discussed is 'a Yamaha FZ-07 (or MT07) that will still be sold in 2016'.

Not the same thing. Until next Janaury, not a single '2016 Yamaha FZ-07' will exist.

Torque

Yes, of course that's what I'm saying.

The thread refers to a '2016 Yamaha FZ-07'. What is now being discussed is 'a Yamaha FZ-07 (or MT07) that will still be sold in 2016'.

Not the same thing. Until next Janaury, not a single '2016 Yamaha FZ-07' will exist.
You've just made me chuckle... you've completely changed the goalposts in your reasoning and I can't resist my tuppence worth :)

In William's original post he asks "Does anyone have an idea when the 2016 FZ-07 will arrive on the showroom floor..." and he states "Hopefully the 2016 will have a fairing". These statements infer that he is asking when will the 2016-spec model arrive, because if he was asking when will the 2016-year model arrive then we already know the answer, it's 1st January 2016. The 2016-spec model, however, will arrive on the showroom floor sooner and there will certainly be pictures on the Internet even sooner than that. Make your mind up what it is we're meant to be answering :p

Last edited:

da1kini

Designed - 2015
Built - 2015
Sold - 2015
Registered to go on the road - 2015
First ridden on the road - 2015

Obviously it should be called a 2016 bike. How silly of me. :rolleyes:
Oh Man, are you a troll or something? :)
Ofcourse not, but still you can buy a 2016 model late 2015 and that would be a 2016 model registered in 2015 hence a bike manufactured in 2015 with the specs of the new 2016 version of the bike...pls let this be the end of this post...

sdrio

You've just made me chuckle... you've completely changed the goalposts in your reasoning and I can't resist my tuppence worth :)

In William's original post he asks "Does anyone have an idea when the 2016 FZ-07 will arrive on the showroom floor..." and he states "Hopefully the 2016 will have a fairing". These statements infer that he is asking when will the 2016-spec model arrive, because if he was asking when will the 2016-year model arrive then we already know the answer, it's 1st January 2016. The 2016-spec model, however, will arrive on the showroom floor sooner and there will certainly be pictures on the Internet even sooner than that. Make your mind up what it is we're meant to be answering :p
Really, I can't work out who is trolling who here.

I didn't move the goalposts, it's exactly the opposite. I never said anything about a '2016 model', besides, it's still wrong, if it's available this year, it's AT BEST a 2015/2016 model, isn't it?

People almost always shorten that to '2016'. Why is that? My point is not as complex as all this. My point is a 2015 bike is not a 2016 bike, regardless of how you try to bend the rules to make it sound like it is.Nothing about a bike that hits the road in 2015 is 2016.

However, I am going to take advantage of your new rules. I'm expecting Yamaha to use the same cable ties that they used to fix the switchgear cables to the forks on mine for the next 3 years, so mine is in fact a 2017 model, not a 2014.

Torque

Ok so here's Stan Laurel getting a bit confused at 0:40. He may as well be trying to explain the difference between 2015 and 2016 models.

Just teasing with you :p

[video=youtube;koNQJ3iMTf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koNQJ3iMTf0[/video]

Noggie

I dont think that many will say that a 2016 spec car/bike is 2016 if it's on the road in 2015.
The registration will say 2015, however you may inform the buyer that this is in fact a early delivery 2016. Spec car/bike.

The problem is people who have a older bike than they advertise.
I have a 2014 spec MT-07, and even if it's bought and registered in 2015, it is NOT a 2015.
The 2015 spec MT-07 does not exist in race red.

Let's say they found out that the 2014 and 15 MTs have a weak gearbox, but for the 2016 it was changed.
In 5 years time a buyer will probably know this and stay clear of there two model years.
If you have a 2015 that was registered in 2016, advertise it as a 2016, someone may buy your bike thinking it's got the upgraded gearbox.
And that is why build date is much more important than registration date.

But yeah, think we can stop there, no one will win the other over anyway.

sdrio

But yeah, think we can stop there, no one will win the other over anyway.
Probably not, because we're actually talking about two different things.

I'm perfectly happy that there is a distinction between an old spec and a new spec vehicle, and I'd agree there should be a way to differentiate them. If that means calling them by a different year, fine.

My original mockery was people who refer to their vehicle as being from a later year simply for it to seem newer. It's something that marketing people do all the time. There is no rule that says they can only do it where there is an updated spec, they just do it. So do owners.

Given that habit, I'll snort with derision at anyone who does it, whether they're doing it legitimately or not. Call it collateral damage.

Donut

FFS

I can hardly believe this debate is still going on.

I guess this is where a proper model designation comes in helpful.

My VRF750 was a VRF750FM and my Firestorm was a VTR1000FX which highlights Honda's model year (I leave anyone who is really interested to look these years up for them selves).

Also need to consider that manufacturers also introduce new/updated parts for bikes between model changes. So, if really interested, you need the frame/engine number to check which model you're looking at in case of any changes.

BTW My Firestorm was registered the year after the model was released. :eek:)

sdrio

FFS

I can hardly believe this debate is still going on.

I guess this is where a proper model designation comes in helpful.

My VRF750 was a VRF750FM and my Firestorm was a VTR1000FX which highlights Honda's model year (I leave anyone who is really interested to look these years up for them selves).

Also need to consider that manufacturers also introduce new/updated parts for bikes between model changes. So, if really interested, you need the frame/engine number to check which model you're looking at in case of any changes.

BTW My Firestorm was registered the year after the model was released. :eek:)
Nobody is misunderstanding what it means. The difference is in how we see people using it.

If someone is pragmatically distinguishing one model from a newer facelifted or entirely new model, for example, it's one of several legitimate ways to do it.

If they're trying to sell you something or make something they own sound better than it actually is, then (in my opinion) they're douche bags.

That's all it is.

My view is that if we're in 2015, and someone who bought their bike in 2015 describes it as 'the 2014 model', that's perfectly OK, because they're obviously referring to a spec. If someone in 2015 tells me they've got a 2016 bike, I'll do the same as I'm doing here - take the piss.

Donut

If they're trying to sell you something or make something they own sound better than it actually is, then (in my opinion) they're douche bags.

Sort of depends on whether they are doing it to deliberately mislead or just don't know themselves. At the end of the day though when you're buying second hand you need to do your research, if a certain model year is important to you. And of course don't forget - "caveat emptor"!

D

Deleted member 20

Give me 8-9 months and I can answer that question for u.