DNA filter

vazza72

HI all, has anyone (or know somebody) fitted the DNA air filter yet. If so have you noticed any increase in performance & was it awkward to fit? Seems like it would need the tank removing?! Any advice or threads would be great - many thanks :)

Livestrong

I've place the DNA air filter, there is a difference in performance and my feeling is that he rides a bit smoother.
You don't have to remove the tank, you can just lift it up a bit. Installation is plenty of work but not so hard to do.

vazza72

Hi livestrong thanks foe that. Have just put new filter in - as you said fairly easy to do - and have noticed an increase in power, but also the stock exhaust is quite a bit louder!! (Which is no bad thing lol) Did it make a difference to yours?

Livestrong

Yes indeed, forgot to tell but it's true there is a difference of sound.
Only thing I'm now conserned about is, if I change my exhaust next week by an Arrow he will not run nicely without power commander. What would you think?

vazza72

Well I'm going to take bike down to my dealer in the morning and ask them to do a dyno run to see if its running ok or to lean/rich and then take things from there regarding new exhaust. Will keep you posted!

Last edited:

Ralph

The filter acts as a induction silencer so a less restrictive one makes more noise
so it's not the silencer making more noise but the inlet system, not that it matters
as long as it sounds good.

vazza72

As long as mixture is ok it's certainly a cheaper way of increasing performance and sound - if only a little, but still sounds better :)

Livestrong

Well I'm going to take bike down to my dealer in the morning and ask them to do a dyno run to see if its running ok or to lean/rich and then take things from there regarding new exhaust. Will keep you posted!
Thank you for that! Can a regular dealer change the amount of fuel? or is it only possible by power commander?

vazza72

image.jpgWill update when I've found out!

UPDATE - bike has had Dyno-run done today & there is no issue with the mixture after installing DNA filter. Print out shows a smooth curve and max 65.7 bhp & 44.75 ft/lb at the wheel! Obviously quite a lot less than Yamaha claim at the crank, but it does run well and smooth. Also dealer says they're shouldn't be any problem adding after market exhaust with DNA filter either!

Last edited:

vazza72

No it was just the filter. Changing the air box too would also involve using a power commander would then in tun involve another £500 :(

Livestrong

That's great information! Thank you for that. Was looking for an airbox but will cancel it from the list. :)
Even without dna filter and /or exhaust the bike runs very idle, is there a way to change it?

mrirvs

When I fitted a stage 1 and 2 airfilter /cover to my Xt660x it was the single best mod I did for power gains, BUT to realise the gains and keep the engine safe a PC3 and remap was needed, I gained over 7hp at the wheel and most importantly the riding experience was tremendous in comparison to stock.

The power of the MT seems quite low at 65 bhp at the wheel so maybe this combination will yield good results as with XTX.

It's going to be and interesting few months and years ahead to see what works with this bike.

pgeldz

Hey guys,

Where are you getting your DNA products? I'm in the US and called every distributor that DNA lists on their website and no one can get me the filter and Stage 2 air box cover. Did you get yours through DNA direct, or a local shop, and ow long did it take to receive it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

- Paulie

pgeldz

I've been on ebay, still done see a vendor who lists it. Can you please send me a link? I'm looking to get the filter and air box cover for testing...

:)

- Paulie