mods so far with pictures

Gaz2212

Hi guys,
the tail tidy is the Yamaha genuine licence plate holder but you don't have to fit the extension arm so it lifts the number plate right up, the arms where the reflector and the indicators are are fully adjustable or removable, you can still use the standard indicators with the kit or fit led ones as I have
its a bit of a strip down to fit, rear plastics etc but the instructions that come with it tell you where every nut bolt and fixing is, there is nothing to cut it fits perfectly where the original goes, no fear of breaking anything
dealer charged me £100 for the kit, a bit dearer than r g etc but a genuine part that is guaranteed to fit, forgot also comes with the led number plate light
part number 1ws-f16e0-00-00
this is the link to the Yamaha page for this part
Licence Plate Holder MT-07 - Genuine options - 1WS-F16E0-00-00 - Yamaha Motor UK

Gaz2212

Hi guys
the sub cowl is also a gen part, simple to fit, left just undo 2 sump bolts fit the bracket and then clip on the plastic, right side you need to undo the exhaust from the engine this will then allow it to swing down enough to undo the 3 sump bolts on this side then again just clip the plastic on.
dealer charged me £220 for this (ouch) but just had to have it
cowl is available in 3 colours
Yamaha blue part no. 1ws-283r0-20-00 for you guys with the race blu
power black part no. 1ws-280r0-00-00 for the red and matt grey
matt silver part no. 1ws-283r0-10-00 for the comp white and deep armour
must say though the matt silver does match the down piece from the seat to the footrest brilliantly, better than it matches the tubular frame. so the silver wouldn't look bad on any of the colurs
here's your link
Sub Cowling MT-07 - Genuine options - 1WS-283R0-00-00 - Yamaha Motor UK

Gaz2212

loneranger
agree with you, need to do something with them god damn ugly holes, looking round for some crash bobbins at present, but not found any I like yet
my dealer no date on exhaust driving me nuts, money burning hole in my pocket, wife keeps dipping in my pocket, that and the screen only thing left for me
cheers
gaz

D

Deleted member 20

...looking round for some crash bobbins at present, but not found any I like yet...
Have you looked at the frame sliders from SW-Motech? They look OK I think, and since they are bolted to bike using 4 bolts per side, I guess they will do a better job protecting the bike, or rather not screwing up the frame/front enginge mount if you actually use them as they're ment to be used ;-)

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/artikelpdf/stp_06_590_11100_b.pdf

I rather replace some scratched plastic on tank/radiator than a bent frame and cracked engine head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Although too late for me, I agree that these look less likely to cause frame damage than my R&G Aero bobbins. Mine will be useful only if I drop the bike when stationary or moving very slowly. Otherwise I would expect them to twist the frame, or maybe damage the head. Not good.

Interestingly the R&G kit specifies a torque for the main open tube/front bolt of no more than 40Nm.

R&G.JPG

The SW-motech spec is 79Nm (bolt 3 in the pdf Anders links to).

Worryingly different!!!

There must be a Yamaha spec, it cant be both unless the R&G bolt is deliberately soft and designed to bend rather than damage the engine. Somehow I doubt this...

TJ63

Does the RG one have an expansion fitting, so that you're tightening it onto the inside of the frame tube?

The SW-Motech one replaces the frame bolt with one of its own, so it needs to be the correct torque to keep the engine in place.

Last edited:

Jon

Does the RG one have an expansion fitting, so that you're tightening it onto the inside of the frame tube?

The SW-Motech one replaces the frame bolt with one of its own, so it needs to be the correct torque to keep the engine in place.
No, the R&G one also comes with its own (longer) bolt, washers, bushes etc...and also bolts directly into the head. Here is a link to the R&G instructions:

http://www.rg-racing.com/Images/Products/ProductFields/pdf2194_60.pdf

da1kini

And heres the reason the bike is cheap from the production line. Yamaha has a partnership with Billet and alla accessories sold on Yamahas after market page is Billet made and Yamaha get a cut from selling's. SO every component on that page is produced to fit without modifications but costs a little extra than other OEM parts. My five cents anyway :)

busey

Yes the MT07 is cheap but most more expensive bikes get the same sort of aftermarket parts fitted ie tail tidy. Crash bobbins. Rad grill . loud exhaust. Screens .seat cowls fender extender. So you pay less for the bits that will clutter the garage till you get a new bike and start the mods again

D

Deleted member 20

I don't mind spending some $ on clever mods, to take the basic bike in a direction that suits My intended usage and (lack of?) taste. And I intend/hope to keep the MT for 10+ years to come -- what bike can be better?

mrirvs

Hey Gaz any chance you can let me know how you got that Tail tidy, Yamaha UK say it is not yet available. I had my dealer double check this afternoon and he came back with the same answer, I then showed him your bike with it on and he just shrugged his shoulders. This is very frustrating and shows why the third party accessory guys make good money :)

Gaz2212

Mrirvs
I'll ring my dealer for you in the morning I am sure he has said to me they have them in stock
I use Arnold's Motorcycles in Burton on Trent, very helpful, their phone number is 01283 565154 I'm sure they would post you one down
Let me contact him in the morning for you

Gaz2212

Anders
Like the look of them sliders, be nice to see pictures of them on a 07 instead of the 09, I'll keep looking
Thanks

da1kini

Yes, but most other bikes can fit all kinds of after market parts, Yamaha MT 07 can't fit bobins cause theres no holes for it, Spindle bobins won't do cause the diameter of each side is different. For ex, but hey I love the bike it´s not a problem.:) just stating the facts :)

da1kini

I don't mind spending some $ on clever mods, to take the basic bike in a direction that suits My intended usage and (lack of?) taste. And I intend/hope to keep the MT for 10+ years to come -- what bike can be better?
I agree, just had to ventilate some :D

da1kini

Hey Gaz any chance you can let me know how you got that Tail tidy, Yamaha UK say it is not yet available. I had my dealer double check this afternoon and he came back with the same answer, I then showed him your bike with it on and he just shrugged his shoulders. This is very frustrating and shows why the third party accessory guys make good money :)
Ordered mine 3 days ago and the dealer got it today :) so yes they exist!

D

Deleted member 20

Yes, but most other bikes can fit all kinds of after market parts, Yamaha MT 07 can't fit bobins cause theres no holes for it, Spindle bobins won't do cause the diameter of each side is different. For ex, but hey I love the bike it´s not a problem.:) just stating the facts :)
Rear spools for paddock stand isn't that hard to fit, I have spent some time figuring it out.

1. Left side, use a M8 thread tap and some 90W transmission oil when gently working it in-out-in-out-in-out, 10 min later your stupid 7 mm hole is a nice M8 thread. Clean the thread from metal flakes and oil. Now you can use any M8 allen head (insex) bolt-on bobbin. Apply some medium lock-tite so you don't have to over-torque the bolt fitting it, still easy to remove when you need to adjust chain or remove wheel.

2. Right side. Take a 100-120 mm long allen-head M8 bolt. Create an expander fitting. I used a 8 mm inner / 12 mm outer rubber hose, got mine for free from a marine depo, standard gas burner hose where I removed the orange 2 mm outer with a utility knife (mattkniv), the remaining black hose was perfect in size. Grind a M8 nut till it's round and sub Ø 12 mm and fits inside the axel. Find some 16 mm thick spacers between axel and your spool. Lube your hose inside so the bolt spins easy, leave outside of tube clean so it will grip easy inside axle. Piece it together.

Spools or spool/slider combo is up to you. I can recomment these if you want the latter Swing Arm Protectors ConStands Alu 8mm Ducati/Honda/Suzuki black