MT-07 Exhaust Sound & Essential Mods

Phil_B

Oops, yes I did, I think as both of your posts mentioned Darren in them. But the principal was the same!

Thanks for giving me the contact details!

cosmikdebriis

Some interesting thoughts on exhaust systems going on in another thread.http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-modifications/642-arrow-shortie-exhaust-concerns-discussion.html

In this it is mentioned the importance of the length of the pipes and appears to imply the "twist" in the header pipes is necessary to increase their length to aid back pressure and therefore torque.

Now I'm certainly no expert on the subject so make your own mind up. But it does concern me that some of the aftermarket pipes don't have this twist and so may actually loose power at lower revs (which is pretty much what this bike is all about).

Reason I mention this here is because the other discussion is about the Arrow exhaust so some might not bother to read it, but the same basic principles must apply.

dazzor

Some interesting thoughts on exhaust systems going on in another thread.http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-modifications/642-arrow-shortie-exhaust-concerns-discussion.html

In this it is mentioned the importance of the length of the pipes and appears to imply the "twist" in the header pipes is necessary to increase their length to aid back pressure and therefore torque.

Now I'm certainly no expert on the subject so make your own mind up. But it does concern me that some of the aftermarket pipes don't have this twist and so may actually loose power at lower revs (which is pretty much what this bike is all about).

Reason I mention this here is because the other discussion is about the Arrow exhaust so some might not bother to read it, but the same basic principles must apply.
Yes, been reading that thread also....

As you rightly pointed out though, your "shortie" version or indeed other manufacturers offerings that are already short do not appear to be any shorter than the stock effort coming on the bike as standard....so not sure where that leaves this theory.

I also read a post that quoted a manufacturer, saying they put in extra length by default and admit some bikes may not actually benefit or indeed suffer....again, not sure where that leaves us either.

Personally, my take on it is this....I want the bike to sound better and look better.....If the losses in power are beyond real-world perception then I'm a happy man.

Besides, most of the offerings are coming in about half the weight of the stock system....so a bonus there.

rappetor

Something new, which looks not like the shoe box from Leo, road legal:

View attachment 888

Think this looks great, but didn't manage to find a link with the sound. The price seems OK too:

SC Project exhaust
Wow, looks very nice. Think with the bellypan (which I have) it would look awesome!

Can't see the lambda sensor on the pictures however.. Whats up with that?
They do say:
Street legal version according "EU" regulations. DB Killer removeable to modify from street legal configuration to racing configuration
So I guess it's all legal (also here in the Netherlands or when I go to Germany?). Nothing about a catalytic converter however.. Guess that is not needed to meet CEE standards or something.

hahapik

Wow, looks very nice. Think with the bellypan (which I have) it would look awesome!

Can't see the lambda sensor on the pictures however.. Whats up with that?
They do say:

So I guess it's all legal (also here in the Netherlands or when I go to Germany?). Nothing about a catalytic converter however.. Guess that is not needed to meet CEE standards or something.
Hmmm, it's so close to the underbody, that the lambda sensor is maybe just out of sight. But I think this is standard, and will surely be on the exhaust. As for CE marks, they authorize the use of the product legally, for hole Europe, including GB, Norway and Island.

If you found some link with the sound post it here, IMHO this is the best looking exhaust I've seen so far.

rappetor

Hmmm, it's so close to the underbody, that the lambda sensor is maybe just out of sight. But I think this is standard, and will surely be on the exhaust. As for CE marks, they authorize the use of the product legally, for hole Europe, including GB, Norway and Island.

If you found some link with the sound post it here, IMHO this is the best looking exhaust I've seen so far.
Well, I've ordered one! * I mailed SC-Project and as expected it has a hole for the sensor (so just not visible on the photo's). And like you said legal in Europe, so no problems there. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for it to get delivered.. And perhaps I'm then one of the first to put a video online lol :p

Don't know why, but really like the looks of this. Also photoshopped the bellypan underneath and that looks awesome. Let's just hope the bellypan still fits, because SC-Project says they didn't test that :rolleyes:

* = Nope.. order cancelled. The supplier doesn't think the exhaust fits with my bellypan. And doesn't want to sell me the exhaust when there is a chance I might return it.. When looking and comparing pictures more closely the bellypan might indeed not fit. Or at least the bracket doesn't.. Seems like it's going to hit the header.
Damned.. finally found an exhaust I really like!

Last edited:

dazzor

I DO like that, gotta be the best so far & for about £500 too :)
It's currently top of my list. I love it.

I'd be inclined to prioritise around the exhaust system and hope that eventually a decent belly pan fits or is easily modded to fit.

Last edited:

rappetor

Please send SC-Project a message asking if it fits the bellypan and/or they make it fit! The more people asking about it, the better the chance they actually test it. And who knows change it :)

I asked them a few times, but they say they don't know (sometimes they don't seem to reply). Asked a shop (official SC-Project dealer), and they got a response from SC-Project they are going to test the exhaust with the Yamaha bellypan on. They say maybe this week, and otherwise the shop has to mail and ask again. But if some more people ask, maybe they check it out fast :)

/me wants this exhaust! :)

dazzor

Please send SC-Project a message asking if it fits the bellypan and/or they make it fit! The more people asking about it, the better the chance they actually test it. And who knows change it :)

I asked them a few times, but they say they don't know (sometimes they don't seem to reply). Asked a shop (official SC-Project dealer), and they got a response from SC-Project they are going to test the exhaust with the Yamaha bellypan on. They say maybe this week, and otherwise the shop has to mail and ask again. But if some more people ask, maybe they check it out fast :)

/me wants this exhaust! :)
Are you UK based?

Post up the contact details here....I'm happy to contact them.

Kaff

I think the SC-project exhaust is the sexiest of all non-Akra aftermarket pipes for the MT-07. And the price ain't that bad either.. Just one thing, looking at the specs on the SC-project shop website, the description says nothing about a catalysator.. Emissions might not meet the Finnish standards after de-catting the bike.

jeppebm

My order for it got 3 weeks delayed i just found out this week. So waiting till end of october before i have mine! - Deffo think it looks great on the bike - cant wait :D!

cfsantos

hello,if you ride in the winter, all the rain,sand and other crap doesn't enter on the exhaust? since is underbody and the is very close to the tyre…
i am asking because mine spreads crap every where…
and what about fuel consumption and performance did you notice any differences?