MT-07 Exhaust Sound & Essential Mods

dazzor

Regarding the SC-Project exhaust system.....

I've read all the jargon but can anyone comment on the Air-fuel-modifier unit that can be supplied separately, at additional cost?

To me, it looks like a plug-in alternative to hacking the ECU and changing fuel-mapping.....possibly a propitiatory, basic version of a power-commander.

Link here

Thanks

Darren

rappetor

Got an answer from SC-Project! They say the Conic silencer will fit with the original Yamaha bellypan! Woot! Time to order one :)
Also asked the 'original SC-Project' dealer (KGLracing.com) and they say the extra air fuel modifier is not really needed. But to get maximum performance it's recommended. But it's the same as a memjet I guess (if it's not -exactly- a memjet, but just re-branded).

If I'm not mistaken it makes the ECU think it's a little bit colder than it really is. And thus you get a richer mixture.

dazzor

Got an answer from SC-Project! They say the Conic silencer will fit with the original Yamaha bellypan! Woot! Time to order one :)
Also asked the 'original SC-Project' dealer (KGLracing.com) and they say the extra air fuel modifier is not really needed. But to get maximum performance it's recommended. But it's the same as a memjet I guess (if it's not -exactly- a memjet, but just re-branded).

If I'm not mistaken it makes the ECU think it's a little bit colder than it really is. And thus you get a richer mixture.
Fantastic news, thanks for posting this up.

Apologies for not contacting SC-Project yet, I've been busy at work & home. (Writing this on my phone with little time )

Please let us know how long the system takes to arrive. Also, is it coming from Italy?

Thanks

Darren

da1kini

I emailed them about cat, and no they have no catalysator on that system! Maybe you don't need in the Uk or Netherlands!

dazzor

I emailed them about cat, and no they have no catalysator on that system! Maybe you don't need in the Uk or Netherlands!
Correct, AFAIK. It's not needed here in UK at this time.

It's a bit of a worry down the line if EU regulations change here in the UK though.

Personally, for the money; about £485 in UK currency, I'm happy to take chance on this system. I love the look, the video sounds like it's got as good a tone to it as any other and SC-Project have a decent track record with other bikes (had a street triple r for while and other owners raved about SC-Project)

Unless the likes of Yoshimura come up with something I think this might be the one for me. :)

rappetor

It is EU approved, and we don't have emission tests (no MOT for motorcycles). So in theory is should all be legal. Could become a problem in the future when we get emission tests and/or a MOT. But then it's always possible to use the AFM/Memjet controller, and make sure it's lean enough to pass the test :)

itsme

View attachment 931here's a PIC of my prototype sound enhancer no remap just take old cover off and fit this one ,not the greatest looking thing at the moment but works 200% better than original, ime working on a round and oval one now,Yamaha MT-07 Prototype sound enhancer stainless: YouTube

Last edited:

itsme

Like I said PROTOTYPE not the finished item when I get some round stainless I can shape it more conventional, the sound will be a vast improvement over stock and a fraction of the cost, no remapping of ECU and no alteration to back pressure, this is for my own satisfaction and not commercially being sold for anyone but the idea is free for anyone to play around with, and for about £5 stainless and about an hours work it don't sound too bad, happy biking.

Nuggets

Like I said PROTOTYPE not the finished item when I get some round stainless I can shape it more conventional, the sound will be a vast improvement over stock and a fraction of the cost, no remapping of ECU and no alteration to back pressure, this is for my own satisfaction and not commercially being sold for anyone but the idea is free for anyone to play around with, and for about £5 stainless and about an hours work it don't sound too bad, happy biking.��
I think the black angular shape compliments the other lines on the bike it looks stealthy I like it! If only the akropovic exhaust looked tailpipe like this (but still belly mount) it would look awesome. It's in the eye of the beholder I guess! Well done mate -don't know if you can get high temperature wraps, maybe carbon fibre effect would look just as good?

itsme

I did think about making them for others but then you start getting stupid remarks so I kicked it in the head but I like the straight lines and ime thinking of doing one with the weld lines left on so they follow up from the original system, round ones I will be able to carbon wrap, the thing about just replacing the cover is if I make about three or four different styles I can change em whenever I feel like it,just three bolts and your done the main thing is ime dead happy with sound and its tons better in the flesh so to speak than with iPhone recording,there is no way ime paying £500 to £800 for a new system ,you could buy a winter bike for that, and being a fabricator there is no way any of these systems are worth the asking prices, I will keep posting my updates as they happen if your handy with a tig welder I will be happy to give you instructions of how to construct one. Happy biking and noise making.???

Last edited:

busey

Sounds good to me might look at doing one my self it seems to be a good idea and cheep way to get noticed in traffic can you put some close up pics on to show how you done it

itsme

Will post some pics for you but the main reason for doing one with flats is so I could keep the existing mounting points, which are flat on the original cover without having to mess about with spacers but the scope for different shapes are only as endless as your skill with a welder and your imagination just make sure there is about 100mm from the end of the original pipe to the opening of the new cover and its about 2" dia that will give a nice resonance to the sound and gurgle on over run and keep the outlet hole as in line with original pipe as possible plus when you look at the MT, it has lines to it. If you remove the three bolts on the existing cover and slide it rearwards 100 mm while engine is running you will hear the sound for yourself and all will fall into place. just make three 100mm flat brackets with 7mm holes10mm from either end and fasten these to your original cover then fasten then to the mounting points you've got a quick and easy fix but you can see the mounting points. have fun and be heard.

Spirit Rider

Anyone have any experience of riding with the Yamaha MT-07 comfort seat ? What price is it ? Does anyone know of any other seats on the market that will enable me to sit 2 inches higher ?

Anyone know anything about the Yamaha rearsets ? Price ? What adjustments they allow ?

Ralph

Have a look on the net for people rebuilding motor cycle seats or doing custom seats,
you can then get them to rebuild yours to suit, I have a sheep skin pad the wife made
that does not really make it any comfier "I find the org on ok" but does raise the seat
hight about a inch and makes a big difference to riding position.

Ralph

I don't like noisy exhausts but on this bike I do wonder after having 2 pedestri-swine's
walk out in front of me, last time that happened was when I rode a LE Velocette.

:rolleyes: