No ABS feedback / opinions...

vermintrex

Hi,

I'm located in Canada and it's looking very likely we will not see ABS here as an option, at least for the first year anyway. I'm sure there is extra regulatory testing and fees required by the gov't in order to have the ABS system "certified" and Yamaha probably wants to see how sales are before paying for the red tape to be cut.

So my question....how do you find the brakes on the non-ABS bikes ? I've seen a few video's now (cager's specifically) that seem to indicate that it's quite easy to lock the brakes on the FZ-07, particularly the back brake. Does the FZ-07 have "tricky" brakes to modulate compared to the competition (Er-6n, SV650 etc) or is it far to early to tell ? Or am I putting too much stock in a couple of early video test rides ?

This will be my first bike. I'll be taking a full, comprehensive riding course, but I won't have many hours of experience to draw from. I'm about as far from a hooligan type as you can get, so idiotic riding won't be a factor here, but it doesn't change the fact that I won't have years of motorbike braking experience to fall back on. I have years and years of downhill mountain biking experience, but I doubt it translates very well from a light machine on a loose surface to a several hundred pounds machine on asphalt.

Anyway, any feedback or info is appreciated, thanks

L

Lonerider

Don't worry about the brakes with a non ABS bike. Anyway, you already master the law of physics while doing downhill mountain biking. :D You'll have to adapt but .. you get the point. Some review said that the rear brake could be prone to block. But hey, in normal situation, i use more the front brake. I would say about 80% for the front. At least. I often don't even touche the rear brake , dependind of the bike i'm riding.

vermintrex

Thanks for the feedback...I'm sure I'll get the hang of it quickly ;)

Was just curious if ABS has become a "you're an idiot if you don't have it" type of thing on motorcycles like it has on cars. I don't think you can buy a car without them now and bikes seem to be going the same way.

Would still like to hear what others opinions on the matter are.

Cheers

DJP

I deliberately chose a non ABS MT-07 having come from a bike with ABS.

I don't regret it one bit.

I don't actually like ABS – I find that in normal use it gives a more “remote” feel to the brakes – probably as a result of the extra pipework.

In the seven years that I had ABS I never used it once, although I'd occasionally deliberately provoke the system just to check that it still worked!

loneranger

The dealer said all bikes will be released with ABS at some time so if I was you I would buy ABS if you can. Going 7 years without using it doesn't mean the next incident is not just around the corner, when ABS might save you r life. For the sake of£400 quid - buy it. Ive got it on mine and ive done 2 semi emergency stops already due to idiotic drivers. I don't know what the situation may have been without ABS, but I can assure you with ABS I didn't crash.

D

Deleted member 20

"The European Parliament voted overwhelmingly in favor of new rules that would increase emission standards and make anti-lock braking systems mandatory for all new large motorcycles, scooters, trikes and quads by January 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 2016.

Approved by a vote of 643 in favor and 16 against with 18 abstentions, the new rules would make ABS required for new street bikes produced in 2016 and beyond with engine displacements larger than 125cc. Smaller motorcycles will be required to have either ABS or a combined braking system. The European Parliament will revisit the issue pending a report on cost-effectiveness for ABS on smaller vehicles, expected for completion by 2019.

Other regulations adopted under the new legislation include the automatic activation of lighting when engines are started and the gradual introduction of advanced on-board diagnostics systems to monitor malfunctions and make emissions data more easily available."

Source: European Parliament

Kipawa

The dealer said all bikes will be released with ABS at some time so if I was you I would buy ABS if you can. Going 7 years without using it doesn't mean the next incident is not just around the corner, when ABS might save you r life. For the sake of£400 quid - buy it. Ive got it on mine and ive done 2 semi emergency stops already due to idiotic drivers. I don't know what the situation may have been without ABS, but I can assure you with ABS I didn't crash.
Not in Canada, no ABS option at this time or the foreseeable future, you can not order bike with ABS here.

Guru Woodman

I have never driven a bike with ABS so I can't really comment on the pro's, con's and the feel but I can say that I have can't remember being in a situation where ABS would have been necessary (25 years of driving).
I imagine ABS would be helpful in emergency situations especially on slippery surfaces trying to avoid a collision because not locking up your (front) brake would enable you to steer away from objects. Locking up your rear brake is no big deal, you just release the pedal a bit. Except maybe while cornering but using brakes in such a situation is probably not smart anyway.

ABS is not available in Canada which is a shame because it limits the freedom of choice. If I had the choice I would go for one without it because I don't like the idea of an over complicated and numb down machine. Most drivers (especially cars) are idiots and rely too much on electronics and safety systems.
Driving a motorcycle should be a pure experience, that's why I always choose to go naked.... (the bike, not me lol)

D

Deleted member 20

Statistics: ABS on motorcycles reduces the risk of severe injury or death by 50%. You choose.

Personally I would never buy a used or new road- or adventurebike without it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

I've never set mine off, and have done some hard braking from time to time.

The brakes and tyres on the ABS model seem excellent. I have no complaints.

D

Deleted member 20

Drive to the conditions and it shouldn't make any difference whether or not you have it
Accidents do happen. Bikers do crash. Riders get more or less injured. Some don't make it alive. ABS do make a difference, period. To say that it doesn't make any difference is ignorance, stupidity or a combination of both.

ABS just reduces the risk by 50%, not eliminating it.

I have ridden 25 years without ABS and 7 years with ABS. I have crashed once and lost a kidney, that was pre-ABS. I would probably have 2 kidneys still if ABS was around back then.

allyw71

Accidents do happen. Bikers do crash. Riders get more or less injured. Some don't make it alive. ABS do make a difference, period. To say that it doesn't make any difference is ignorance, stupidity or a combination of both.

ABS just reduces the risk by 50%, not eliminating it.

I have ridden 25 years without ABS and 7 years with ABS. I have crashed once and lost a kidney, that was pre-ABS. I would probably have 2 kidneys still if ABS was around back then.
Ignorant or stupid I am not, you seem to have misread my quote, driving to the conditions is any drivers primary defence, regardless of what type of vehicle is being driven. ABS is a secondary aid and if you drive to the conditions and read the road correctly the ABS should never cut in, which was my point. While if you were to drive like a nutter in the wet and rely on the ABS to keep you out of trouble, it won't, you will crash.

Accidents do not happen, they are caused. The vast majority by human error.

D

Deleted member 20

That error can be a fellow driver turning just in front of your bike. Animal jumping out of the forests just in front of you. Road conditions suddenly changing that is impossible to spot (oil, sand, hot slippery asphalt etc.) With ABS your stopping distance and ability to avoid an obstacle will always work in your favour. Most riders when caught of guard will either brake too hard lock up and loose front wheel and go down, lock up then releases too much before applying rights amount of pressure resulting in longer stopping distance, not brake hard enough for shortest distance, etc. ABS do reduce risk for every type of rider, the highest risk speeders AND the extremely careful or skilld ones. ABS is not the only factor, just one. You and all other just have to acknowledge the fact that ABS do reduce risk of severe injury or death by 50%. For everyone. Then make your choice.

Riding mc is higher risk than driving a car, we all know and acknowledge that fact, still riding since we love it and it gets us from A to B much quicker. It's a choice.

Gaz2212

Second that and30ers, the ecu behind the ABS is far quicker to sort the brakes out than any human could possibly do
Any aid to keep any driver safer is a good one in my opinion and at £400 option its a no brainer for me, although I think this should be standard, again in my opinion
Gaz

sdrio

There's an element of risk compensation that can outweigh some of the benefits of ABS. Broadly speaking, people with ABS can be tempted to drive faster, as they know they can stop more effectively.

The classic example of this behaviour is straightening bends in roads. It has been said that it's pointless, as people just drive round them faster and there are just as many accidents.

I got the ABS model because that's all they had. From what I can see it's just something else to go wrong.

D

Deleted member 20

There's an element of risk compensation that can outweigh some of the benefits of ABS. Broadly speaking, people with ABS can be tempted to drive faster, as they know they can stop more effectively.

The classic example of this behaviour is straightening bends in roads. It has been said that it's pointless, as people just drive round them faster and there are just as many accidents.

I got the ABS model because that's all they had. From what I can see it's just something else to go wrong.
Another great example of fabrication of your own truth :)
When will riders get it?

dazzor

How about this then.....

I've literally just come back from my dealers as they had my brand new, non ABS matt grey ready for me to collect......I walked away without the bike and called a stop to the deal just before handing over the payment...because I came to my senses and would rather wait for an ABS model.

I've been riding 24 years without it, had quite a few offs over the years, some bad, some not so bad. This will be my first bike with ABS and I'm prepared to now have to wait until October for the colour I want.

Anders: your post about riding so long without ABS then the last 7 years with it, plus that nasty accident you had that meant losing a kidney....plus the stats you've quoted have really made me think.

For the last 2 weeks, since placing an order and reading stuff on here, I have been kicking myself internally. For the last 3.5 years I've been a Dad.....that alone changes everything.

I know we see these tests where in good, dry conditions ABS takes a greater distance to stop, but the in real world, when a muppet pulls directly in front of you with very little distance to stop I tend to grab handfuls of front-brake. Sure, ask me to perform an emergency stop and I can break with the best of them...Because I am calm and not panicked.

I'm not saying the Non-ABS option is a mugs game, I'm just saying me personally, I'm elated that I displayed some discipline and walked away from a shiny new bike today in the quest for safety. If I wasn't a Dad, I think I would be riding around right now on my new, non ABS MT-07...the weather here in Hertfordshire (UK) today is marvellous too :(

Thanks, Anders, you've made the difference for me.

Last edited:

sdrio

Another great example of fabrication of your own truth :)
When will riders get it?
Risk compensation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anti-lock brakes

Anti-lock braking systems are designed to increase vehicle safety by reducing skidding.

A number of studies show that drivers of vehicles with ABS tend to drive faster, follow closer and brake later, accounting for the failure of ABS to result in any measurable improvement in road safety. The studies were performed in Canada, Denmark, and Germany.[12][13][14] A study led by Fred Mannering, a professor of civil engineering at Purdue University supports risk compensation, terming it the "offset hypothesis".[15] A study of crashes involving taxicabs in Munich of which half had been equipped with anti-lock brakes noted that crash rate was substantially the same for both types of cab, and concluded this was due to drivers of ABS-equipped cabs taking more risks.[16]

However, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety released a study in 2010 that found motorcycles with ABS 37% less likely to be involved in a fatal crash than models without ABS.[17] A 2004 study found that ABS reduced the risk of multiple vehicle crashes by 18 percent, but had increased the risk of run-off-road crashes by 35 percent.[18