No ABS feedback / opinions...

Dede

I wanted to buy a motorcycle with ABS. Looked at the Honda NC750s, Kawa E6-RN, both with ABS. Motocycles with ABS are still rare in Canada.

I certainly would have waited for the MT-07 with ABS if it was available in Canada.

I chose the motorcycle with better dynamics over motorcylcles with better brakes.

I still question myself but so be it, my next motorcycle will certainly have ABS as it becomes more common...

rickyexpresso

Hi, mine has ABS and with ABS wanted to buy for my opinion and I'm not unhappy
I drive without ABS and I think I was better served

xt660isgood2

Maybe I am being a bit overly critical of ABS, I'm not actually against it. I think you've made a wise decision, and a patient one!

ABS in some circumstances can mitigate problems, and for sure some of those times it will be the difference between a disaster and only needing a change of underwear. For that reason, it's worth having.

At the risk of repeating myself, I just take the attitude that if you need ABS, you probably need to re-evaluate how you ride. Of course you could say the same for tread on tyres, and wearing a crash helmet. Anything that makes us safer is good.

My other concern is that ABS systems on bikes have from time to time been unreliable. On some used BMWs, the ABS models sell for less than the non ABS versions because they are prone to failure.
Totally agree with you sir. I'm not for or against abs on a bike, because never used it or know anybody who has? (convinced it works on 4 wheels tho) I think the big quest here is: has anybody
been In a real bad situation that if they didn't have abs it would of ended much worse? Not including snow or ice coz you should really be on the bus

P

Peter

Totally agree with you sir. I'm not for or against abs on a bike, because never used it or know anybody who has? (convinced it works on 4 wheels tho) I think the big quest here is: has anybody
been In a real bad situation that if they didn't have abs it would of ended much worse? Not including snow or ice coz you should really be on the bus
So many times.
In emergency situation, suddenly appearing animals like cat, dog, fox, badger. Blind car drivers, brave pedestrians. Wet leafs on forest road. Gravel on the road. All kind of panic brake could be worst without it.
It is not the holy grail but very useful.

dazzor

Hasn't Anders posted enough stats from credible sources on the validity of ABS on bikes?

Fair play to those who may or may not think it's a moot option.

My take, it's £400 to further mitigate my risk.

Before I bit the bullet and turned down the bike already registered to me, I was mentally all over the "makes you complacent" theory..... Cognitive dissonance I think they call it? :)

pengjn

This is the kind of argument they had back in the days before seat belts in cars were mandatory and then helmets for motorbikes. Make ABS mandatory pls UK government just to save us all time on forums! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrbarna

I wanted a "fun" bike, so I went with the non-ABS version. I love ABS, don't get me wrong, but I reserve that for touring bikes with higher spec ABS systems. The MT-07 has a basic cheap system that works, but is very intrusive and irritating, especially with my style of aggressive riding.

dazzor

I wanted a "fun" bike, so I went with the non-ABS version. I love ABS, don't get me wrong, but I reserve that for touring bikes with higher spec ABS systems. The MT-07 has a basic cheap system that works, but is very intrusive and irritating, especially with my style of aggressive riding.
Interesting.

I was hesitant to go the ABS way as I've done 25 years on bikes without it and feared it would be intrusive.....but then conceded that...

1) it's a sensible step down from some of the balls-out bikes I've owned before, so ABS was a logical option

2) whilst it's a nippy machine, it's not a top-end hungry bike that begs for handfuls of throttle....is it? So safety was higher on the priority list....if it slows me down on our hazardous roads that might be a good thing.

Anyway, if your style of riding is aggressive, would you not be better off with a different bike that has uprated ABS? I say that because I assume you mean aggressive riding on public roads? If not, an MT-07 is surely not the right bike to be dedicated track tool?.....so surely by being "aggressive on public roads increases your chances of having an accident, thus ABS being a shrewd option to take?

Can the ABS on the MT be uprated?

My end goal is safe but fun 07 for commuting and if I can, get a dedicated track toy, something like a gixxer750.

Anyhow. To each their own; enjoy your MT :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

Only no-fun-to-drive bikes have ABS, right, like the BMW HP4 and 1199 Panigale R etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Signum

I test rode an MT 07 without ABS and thought the brakes were excellent, I felt no need for ABS. But the only bike they had was ABS so that's what I ended up with. I should mention that I've stacked three times from locking the front wheel... So I thought I'd give it a try in the name of extending my life expectancy.
I do feel it kick in on the back brake when changing down and braking at the same time, it's slightly annoying. I've only once triggered it on the front and it was a pant soiling panic stop. The ABS did actually make all the difference. I stopped literally half an inch from disaster. I'm kind of convinced of its value. Doesn't mean I would ride a bike that doesn't have it though.

AJ Nin

In part, this is probably an age thing. I've been riding 40 years and ABS was never an option until recently. I have owned only 1 ABS bike...the 2014 Ninja 300. They did have a recall on it for the 2013 model, but my 2014 was fine. It didn't change how I rode and never activated the system. It added $500 and about 5 lbs. to the weight, but if you need it, it could be a lifesaver. Had an ABS version been available for the FZ-07, I would have bought it..... but on the other hand, I am invincible and laugh in the face of danger.