"Restricted"MT-07

Infinite300

... power restricted for learner use to 35 KW @8000rpm ...
I believe Yamaha has said its 38.8 KW @ 8000 for LAMS. Yay, for the extra 3.8 killer wasps! I test rode it and did not find it too bad at all. then again I never go over 130km/h. I'll look into restricting when I'm off my learners. It's probably not worth it though.

Huckinnz

Still no full parts listing for Aussie 07 at local Yamaha dealer grr!
Tw586, I still haven't found any evidence or reports of derestriction issues for the FZ6R. Were these anecdotal or documented somewhere? I know that the mod in question is very common so expected to find lots of problems. Can you suggest where I might find this data? Finally, have you found the the time to get TPS voltage outputs from your beast through the full throttle range ie not just the restricted range. Pete

tw586

Yep and I would not recommend doing it, removed restriction from throttle measured tps and the check engine light came on as soon as I went past the 3.0 volts. had to disconnect ecu for 1 hr to reset
for reference Tps voltages are, with the throttle stop fitted 0.7 closed 2.9 wide open 5.0 full reference voltage, Normal 5v tps will have an operating range of 0.5 to 4.5 v so we can assume that the restricter is set to around 70% though the angle is o deg closed and 75 deg open

Huckinnz

Which supports what you said re restricted ecu. Your comments re 0 deg and 75 deg apply to unrestricted I take it? Thanks a million for that. Do you have a workshop manual? Does anyone out there in the interweb have access to data on TPS etc for unrestricted or restricted bikes? Pete

tw586

throttle voltages and valve angles are with the restricter installed as per standard, the throttle angles without are 0 deg closed and 87 deg WOT (wide open throttle) tps voltage is 0.7 closed and 4.4 open measurements are on the center wire (sig) of the 3wire tps. going over @3.0 v will logg fault code and place ecu in limp mode ( limited parameter) I reiterate that this is not a good thing to do as your dealer will be able to access the ecu and look for logged faults and you may have warranty issues ie tampering with the electronic may void warranty. This is from personnel experience. as I used to be a Master Tech for Ford Mo Co in the 90s ( tampering or altering the ECU or its sensors will void warranty)

gregjet

Just joined this forum. I haven't got an MT07 yet. As an aussie rider I was really pissed off when the neutered version was released. This is the first forum on the net,I have found where people are making informed and constructive comments and the derestriction stuff may lead somewhere. ECU west ( perth WA) did a ECU redo for the MT09 so they may be a good starting place. Has anyone used them. They may be able to flash the ecu to use the full TPS voltage and give us 13.x instead of 14.7 fuel/ air ratio.
What ever you do with the Aussie model, the reduction in capacity and ( obviously) leaving the same heads has resulted in a lower compression ratio (11.00 as per 11.5) so we won't get the same possible peak HP as the Euro ones, regardless of the small reduction in capacity. 655cc is fine with me, .5 integer reduction if CR is not.
If this forum comes up with a practical solution to the derestriction problem the BMW will go and I will get myself a MT07. Or maybe Yamaha will decide to bring in the real version with ASBS. Don't know why they would as it is only one of their best selling motorcycles ever in it's EURO form.
BTW please don't tell me to just get a MT09. I don't want a 900cc bike nor something with 3cyl. To me that's a car ( albeit a small one).

Eddieh93

So for clarification the English restricted version for A2 riders is just the throttle stop not anything ECU related?

Kiwi

THROTTLE RESTRICTION ISSUE SOLVED!!!

OK everyone listen up. I just removed my throttle restrictor, and have had a large increase in horsepower. Today I asked the dealer about the viablity of modifying the restrictor plate (e.g. cutting of the arm which limits throttle range). The important information is below.

*My bike was bought new in New Zealand (I believe it is the exact same model as the Australian version). This is the 655cc LAMS edition.
*I have not touched my ECU in any way. I am still restricted to about 8000rpm in 5th gear, but I haven't tested 6th (presumably the same).
*Importing an ECU from an overseas version of the bike is not an option, because of the different diplacement. I would advise against trying this one.
*I can refit the original restrictor prior to returning the bike, in the event I need to claim anything under warranty (dealers recommendation - what a champ!).
*The bike is otherwise stock - for now.

The dealer offered me a modified throttle stop, after I asked him about the possibility to cut the original stop back down to normal size. He told me that the ECU will not go into "limp mode" when it sees WOT (as opposed to its previous approx. 70% throttle). I have since proved this by fitting and testing the unrestricted throttle stop. This means that you don't have to re-flash your ECU, as the fuel maps are already programmed.

The power increase is substantial. Although I have no plans to put the bike on a dyno, it's plausible that I've moved from 50hp to 62-65hp. Peak fuel consumption previously(at WOT) was 11.7L/100km, but now its 14.7L/100k. That's a 25% increase in fuel consumption, which is loosely indicative of horsepower power made. For those that aren't too knowledgeable in this area (I'm no expert either), fuel economy is unaffected by this modification. The change is only apparent when you open the throttle past 70%, where the engine can get more air/fuel. If you spend a lot of time at WOT your fuel economy will suffer drastically. If not, it's just for a few seconds you'll use lots more fuel, and make lots more power.

I'll post some pictures soon. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help...

Kiwi

Here is a before, and after photo. This job took about 30 minutes to complete. I purchased this throttle stop from the dealer, which he had made by a local engineer. It's entirely possible to purchase an OEM throttle stop and simply cut the arm off, but I wanted this one as it looks so professional. You'll see that the new one lacks the cadmium plating (the gold/yellow colour), but I cannot imagine the new one will corrode away any time soon.

Before.jpgAfter.jpg

Eddieh93

Kiwi, once removed there was any warning messages or anything like that was it just a straight swap and go?

Also do you have dimensions of the plate?

Last edited:

Kiwi

It was literally swap and go. I just removed the two screws, changed the part, then refitted the screws. I didn't even remove any fairings. I didn't take any measurements, but you can see that the whole arm needs to be removed. Alternatively, you could remove a small part of the arm at a time, and make incremental power improvements.

tw586

what build date is your bike Kiwi, Mine is one of the first ones in Aust 08/14 and I still am having issues with check engine light coming on above @3.0v on tps??????

Broekmanium

My (European / Dutch - 689cc engine - date: 03/2015) Yamaha MT-07 (35kW) has two restrictions on it. The trottle stop arm and a REV limiter in the 6th gear (7000rpm - ~172km/h).

I have removed the throttle stop arm (just like Kiwi did in post #51) and my bike is now a lot faster in the first five gears. To be honest I couldn't care less about the REV limiter in the 6th gear since I'm only using that gear for ECO (nope) driving... Plus driving 170+ km/h on a naked bike is crap anyways.

I haven't had any problems for the past 400km other than not being able to find a spare throttle stop (with the arm) :p

Last edited:

tw586

finally did mine and fixed my tps issue, (A faulty probe wire on my multi meter ) now issues found, however I am a little disappointed in the outcome, I have felt no real change in performance around town yet the front wheel lifts easier now but at freeway speeds there is a mild increase in overtaking acceleration. to that end it was worth doing.

AiNZ

THROTTLE RESTRICTION ISSUE SOLVED!!!

OK everyone listen up. I just removed my throttle restrictor, and have had a large increase in horsepower. Today I asked the dealer about the viablity of modifying the restrictor plate (e.g. cutting of the arm which limits throttle range). The important information is below.

*My bike was bought new in New Zealand (I believe it is the exact same model as the Australian version). This is the 655cc LAMS edition.
*I have not touched my ECU in any way. I am still restricted to about 8000rpm in 5th gear, but I haven't tested 6th (presumably the same).
*Importing an ECU from an overseas version of the bike is not an option, because of the different diplacement. I would advise against trying this one.
*I can refit the original restrictor prior to returning the bike, in the event I need to claim anything under warranty (dealers recommendation - what a champ!).
*The bike is otherwise stock - for now.

The dealer offered me a modified throttle stop, after I asked him about the possibility to cut the original stop back down to normal size. He told me that the ECU will not go into "limp mode" when it sees WOT (as opposed to its previous approx. 70% throttle). I have since proved this by fitting and testing the unrestricted throttle stop. This means that you don't have to re-flash your ECU, as the fuel maps are already programmed.

The power increase is substantial. Although I have no plans to put the bike on a dyno, it's plausible that I've moved from 50hp to 62-65hp. Peak fuel consumption previously(at WOT) was 11.7L/100km, but now its 14.7L/100k. That's a 25% increase in fuel consumption, which is loosely indicative of horsepower power made. For those that aren't too knowledgeable in this area (I'm no expert either), fuel economy is unaffected by this modification. The change is only apparent when you open the throttle past 70%, where the engine can get more air/fuel. If you spend a lot of time at WOT your fuel economy will suffer drastically. If not, it's just for a few seconds you'll use lots more fuel, and make lots more power.

I'll post some pictures soon. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help...
Hi Kiwi,

I live in New Plymouth and would be interested in doing the same with my restriction.
Which dealer did you get the modified restrictor plate from?

Thanks!