Why an MT-07... 3 reasons please..!

Hobbsy

Ok, so I passed my Mod 2 yesterday and will now be seriously looking into changing my CBF125 for a bigger bike. I have a short list of 3. MT-07, er6n, Street Triple. The triple is I think out of my price range because I want to buy new and pay monthly and the repayments might be a bit steep. So if it was a straight shoot out between an MT-07 and an er6n, what reasons can you give to go for the MT...? From my homework I have found that although the MT-07 is a bit cheaper, Kawasaki are doing some amazing finance deals that make the er6n cheaper per month to finance with 4% over 5 years amongst them. I'm told Kawasaki's don't hold their value that well, can anyone offer comment on this...? Obviously I expect a fairly MT sided opinion here but if you guys with one can give me your feedback i'd appreciate it. I learnt on an MT-07 but have never ridden an er6n to compare, the nearest Kawasaki dealership is serious miles away from me so it's not easy for me to just go and try one. I think i prefer the look of the er6n but as I say i've never ridden one. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Hobbsy

Phil_B

I went for it because it was:

-Cheaper
-Newer
-Had better reviews as being more fun and punchy.

To be honest, I think either would be great and I would take into account the fresh finance and costings after kawasaki's review of their pricing and Yamaha's slight increase!

In the Er6's favour you could get the faired version which will aid distance riding, and there are some tidy 2nd hand examples going very temptingly cheap!

On MCN currently is a 2009, 1500 mile minter, £2800!!

cosmikdebriis

I test drove both the Er6 and the MT07 and preferred the MT. Not by a great deal but certainly enough to make me want the Yamaha. Lighter, nimble and more powerful.

The Yamaha is also a "new" bike unlike the Kawasaki which is an "old" design.

The Yamaha, with an after market pipe, makes a sound the Kawasaki can only dream of. Don't underestimate what I'm saying here as the full sound of a 270 deg twin will put a huge smile on your face EVERY time you ride it.

The Kawasaki is a "tried and tested" design whereas the Yam has associated risks as with any new model. (Though apart from some people reporting stalling problems, no one seems to have turned up anything yet).

Of course if money is tight then perhaps the finance will make up your mind. But for me, I preferred the Yamaha and somehow knew that if I'd gone for the Kawasaki I'd have just been buying an old model whereas the Yam is/was the latest thing.

By the way. I've not regretted it one little bit. The bike is more fun than should be legal.

Triumph really ought to consider making a med sized sporty twin rather than those awful retro "Bonnies" they insist on making. I'd buy one.

dazzor

Ridden all 3, the Street3 being in another class.

A street3 is a bit of a leap up from a learner bike but if that's what you want, why not get a used one from a dealer? Get a decent credit card with 0% on purchase for 24 months and do it that way.

I'd have another ST but don't need or want that much poke and top-end. The MT offers better MPG, cheaper insurance and of course being new you get 2 years warranty.

For me, the MT felt ostensibly better than the ER6.

Good luck and ride safe

Darren

Last edited:

itsme

Just my opinion but I don't think the MT-07 is NOT the best leap from a 125 there are some better deals on SV 650s I've seen them new for £4000 and they are a fantastic reliable bike and a stable jump from the Honda 125. I just think there is a bit too much low end on the MT, BUT having owned SVs and still have one I can say I prefer the MT over the SV but I still love them and will always have one.

Nuggets

I passed in April and looked at street triple, MT-07 and CB650F, the reviews of the MT-07 did it for me, and I've not been disappointed a day since I took delivery. I checked out insurance on the triple and that put me right off, for a first year rider I was quoted up to £2000 (couldnt believe myself!) by comparison the MT-07 costs me £239 (fully comp), the CB650F a shade cheaper. I'm no angel and I've had my fair share of points (I'm 35)

From memory the Honda CB650F has a different service regime which I think is a bit pricer as the valves need shimming, but it was a close second and I was looking for excuses not to get one as the delivery times were quicker than the MT.

I did a bike swap with my mates SV650F one Sunday, I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with it but I instantly missed the lack of punch and flickability you get with the MT, I had to prise my mate off mine, his only criticism was the front goes a bit light under hard acceleration, he's right but you get used to it and I just don't notice it now.

I got a Halifax 31 month 0% credit card and transferred the balance from my usual card so I got a lot of air miles and 31 months to pay it off all for a £190 fee (£6500)

I would recommend the MT all day long especially with the akropovic exhaust which for me makes a great bike even better, i smile everytime i ride it, i dont need an excuse to ride it to work (140mile round trip) and for me its the perfect first big bike for city commuting and scratching, it's light, punchy, uncomplicated and head turner in red (the best colour in my opinion).

In some ways I'm glad the insurance was too expensive on the triple otherwise I might have missed out on what a great bike the MT is.

D

Deleted member 20

I would say the MT-07 is a complete game-changer in it's class.
In that class I include Hondas new CB 500/650's and NC 700/750's with or without fairing options.
Kawa ER6 N and F as well as Versys 650.
Suzuki SV 650s, Gladius etc.
Yama XJ6 N and F.
BMW F800 street versions incl GT.

All these competitors are 25-37 kg heavier !

The MT07 ís competitively priced, and servicing it it also very inexpensive with 10000 km intervals for oil/filter, 20000 km intervals for sparkplugs/airfilter and 40000 km intervals for valve adjust. No other bike comes close. Insurance is also low. Milage is excellent. It will be attractive on the 2nd hand market and hold pretty good value.

With aftermarket parts you can cost-effectively tweak your MT in any direction you like. Bling street/naked/sport style with silly exhaust, PC, suspension parts etc. Or making it a full blown tourer with topbox, panniers, gel seat, windscreen, heated grips, handguards etc. You choose.

View attachment 930

Then you have the Street Triple R ABS, also at 180 kg + change. Also a class leader, but in a different class. This is an excellent street bike that beats the MT-07 in all performance categories like engine, suspension, brakes, handling, corner speed, laptimes etc. But it's more expensive to buy, fuel, service and insure.

So my conclusion is there is only two options: MT-07 ABS or Street Triple R ABS.

Last edited by a moderator:

geffd

I learnt to ride on an ER6 and compared to the mt07 they are heavier and the engine isnt as smooth as the MT especially on the motorway. You can cruise at a constant 80 mph on the mt on the Er you would end up with white finger

dazzor

............Bling street/naked/sport style with silly exhaust, PC, suspension parts etc...........
Ha ha, one man's silly is another man's essential upgrade.

Personally I think putting a tonne of luggage on the 07 is like building a bricks and mortar extension on the back of a tent. But of course if you're only an "occasional" tourer I can see the logic behind it.

To each their own and all that.

cosmikdebriis

I suppose there's an argument to be made for starting with something as light as possible if you're considering adding weight (luggage) to it but personally I'd be more than a little concerned with adding weight over the back end of a bike that so freely picks up the front wheel, even without trying.

As for the exhaust. I can appreciate people liking a very quiet bike, especially if using it for touring but, personally, I think that wonderful off beat sound deserves to be heard.

sven11

I support your concern from experiance. Was riding with my girlfriend and the front picked up toooo easy at one occasion. Any serious acceleration is a bih no no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 20

What pannier-popular bike does NOT pick up the front with ease? KTM 990 SMT/Adventure or 1190/1290 Adventuer? R1200GS/GSA/RT? Tiger Sport? Multistrada? Caponord? VFR 800/1200? Kawa 1000 SX?

Last edited by a moderator:

tw586

I will give you one good reason from an engineering point of view, Kawasaki is a 180 degree parallel twin the Yamaha is a 270 degree parallel twin, 180 = engine vibration and a odd exhaust noise, 270 with balance shaft= less or no vibration and a Vee twin exhaust noise, I was looking at the kwaka and after riding the MT I was hooked

Hobbsy

Thanks for all the feedback on this one guys... I have made a decision and having explored the finances of them all I have decided to go for a Street Triple. The decision now is whether to go for an "R" or not...

D

Deleted member 20

Thanks for all the feedback on this one guys... I have made a decision and having explored the finances of them all I have decided to go for a Street Triple. The decision now is whether to go for an "R" or not...
I would go for an R ABS, not that the non-R isn't good enough, I just think the R is worth the extra spend. Fully adjustable front and rear suspension and increased travel, better 4-piston caliper front brakes. Looks better as well.
You know there is an RX version coming up soon with the Daytona tail section and a quick-shifter.
View attachment 1040

badger27

Test ride the Mt if she talks to you you will know straight away I bought mine after ar ride round a car park as I only had passed my mood 1 at the time my test bike was a hornet and sv650 either of which compared .